• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There's a time and place for international competitions, but, it shouldn't come at the expense of the local games.

You can easily play a "Club world cup" like they do every year in football. The Australian Club, New Zealand, Japanese, England, Ireland etc all play annually. This mirrors what the Football clubs globally do ie Champions of Europe vs Champions of South America etc.

People seem to forget the biggest annual football tournament in the Champions League are teams within a few hours flight time in relatively the same timezone.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There's a time and place for international competitions, but, it shouldn't come at the expense of the local games.

You can easily play a "Club world cup" like they do every year in football. The Australian Club, New Zealand, Japanese, England, Ireland etc all play annually. This mirrors what the Football clubs globally do ie Champions of Europe vs Champions of South America etc.

People seem to forget the biggest annual football tournament in the Champions League are teams within a few hours flight time in relatively the same timezone.
It's hypothetically doable but definitely not easy.

No one wants to budge on the calendar. The European teams already play a crazy amount of games and won't sacrifice their domestic comps. More cross-world travel is really bad for player welfare.

As with every problem in the sport there are too many conflicting interests.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good news. Stan has the World 7s.
IMG_4409.jpeg

half

Alan Cameron (40)
damn, might have to review my stan membership i threw in the bin after the wales match. Another reason to turf fox. Kinda liking the COYS now.
Mate told me so source is unreliable, however he says Ange is getting more views in Australia than the RWC.

The way the media in Australia are paying attention to him would indicate that may be correct.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mate told me so source is unreliable, however he says Ange is getting more views in Australia than the RWC.

The way the media in Australia are paying attention to him would indicate that may be correct.
And so he should.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
NHL currently going through their best dressed players of the week segment in the broadcast haha. I know NBA always covers what people are wearing.

Are we prepared to let things like this into the fabric of the game to generate interest from casuals or specifically younger audiences?

Not saying I’m for or against it, but just curious to see how some of the major leagues have embraced entertainment on or off the field at all costs and now promote the players as much as they do the teams.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
NHL currently going through their best dressed players of the week segment in the broadcast haha. I know NBA always covers what people are wearing.

Are we prepared to let things like this into the fabric of the game to generate interest from casuals or specifically younger audiences?

Not saying I’m for or against it, but just curious to see how some of the major leagues have embraced entertainment on or off the field at all costs and now promote the players as much as they do the teams.
This aligns with a point I made in another thread last week - when discussing social content / marketing, connecting with Gen Z - how rugby is yet to really embrace and promote the 'individuals' in the game. Anything like this can only be good imo.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This aligns with a point I made in another thread last week - when discussing social content / marketing, connecting with Gen Z - how rugby is yet to really embrace and promote the 'individuals' in the game. Anything like this can only be good imo.
I agree, and two important aspects of Gen Z and many M's.

First, they have a mega amount of choice and by light years the most popular is E-Games, and related games like Robo-games [were people design robots to battle each other, so traditional advertising mostly does not reach them as they don't watch, but is also unimpressive when compared to the E & R games advertising. Meaning traditional

Second, lifestyle and broadly being a good person is important to them, back a couple of pages I posted this.

{quote]
the copied bit

"""
The woes of legacy leagues are unlikely to stop tech titans from acquiring even more of them–but Big Tech should be looking at the most popular sports on digital. This wave of new sports, from E-Sports and Robo Sports to Trick Shots and Parkour, are the sports of the future, racking up billions of views from Gen Z males.

Apple scores big with the MLS
In a big move that does look to the digital future, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook and Eddy Cue, SVP of Services, secured exclusive rights to MLS. It’s the one and only traditional sports league that attracts the same demographics as streamers, including Gen Z males. In fact, it has the youngest audience among all legacy leagues."""""
[/quote]

As I said its from a business mag analysing sports media, that they singled out the MLS for special mention is interesting, and I looked into it a little, The average age in the US for sports watchers is something like this, Baseball 57, NHockey L 52, NFootball L[gridion] 47, Basketball 37, Soccer 30.

How they did this and back to you point re the best dressed player of the month... I think its the kinda thing that works way way way better than what we currently do.

Further its long term investment creating something for the Z & M

For what is worth I posted on the A R thread a couple of vids 7 to 8 years old titled """The Movement""" they made over 50 I think 12 to 15 minute vids. They worked amazingly well to a specific and targeted demographic group.

Anyone wanting to understand how to message this demographic should be learning from this. I will post one, if interested I will post more. Beyond obvious if you watch rugby cannot copy this vid, but it illustrates an approach and methods.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For anyone with Amazon Prime this has been released (or at least a couple of episodes):

Interesting viewing, albeit a lot of the Poms are not the most gripping characters you'll come across. Would hope the Hammer with all his marketing expertise is trying to get something similar sorted for Aus Rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
For anyone with Amazon Prime this has been released (or at least a couple of episodes):

Interesting viewing, albeit a lot of the Poms are not the most gripping characters you'll come across. Would hope the Hammer with all his marketing expertise is trying to get something similar sorted for Aus Rugby.
do you recommend it?

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Mate, thanks for posting the vid.

It demonstrates perfectly what I have been saying. Its hard brutal and all about how good and hard rugby is. This would appeal to me, but maybe not my 18 year old nephew.

Compare to the Atlanta vid, which had almost nothing on the game, was all about joining and connecting to a positive moment which was hip, coffee, fast food, different people especially black and non English speaking, into a desirable lifestyle and connected that with their sport. , i.e. come and watch soccer and be part of """the movement""" . Remember also most over say 50 would never watch the vid.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
do you recommend it?
Yeah I would. As with most of these modern sports docos (Drive to Survive, All or Nothing) they are not really targeted at Rugby fans, but try to create a narrative non-fans can latch onto. Which I find can be a bit frustrating if you follow the sport closely.

But it is an interesting watch, especially in light of all the struggles the English club game has been going through recently.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Dawn of the Dolphins and Making their Mark were pretty crap from an Australian Sport Docu-tainment POV. Would need some serious American-ising to do right.

Sunderland till I die remains the GOAT IMO

Wilson

David Codey (61)
FWIW there has been a Stan crew with the wallabies, I think since Eddie took over:

Should make for some interesting watching, assuming they're brave enough to still put it out. Ideally it'll be a entertaining but sad first season to hopefully be followed by 4 or 5 more documenting the eventual path to redemption and success.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sunderland till I die is so good. I keep hoping for more.

Could be a cool avenue for a Super side to follow.

Season 1 was gloriously hilarious. Expecting it to be the wonderful comeback story of their return to the premiership and crashing down for b2b relegation. I liked season 2, and welcome to Wrexham and Drive to Survive but there's something so moreish about watching everything fall apart with crazy and absurd levels of access that it's clear nobody but the big big boss wanted but were now all contractually obliged to gove.