• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I am pleased to see the Brumbies clean out and re-build but IMO, everyone is too excited about their immediate prospects. I feel that the change will only be realised in 2013-14 and that they will finish last in the Oz conference next year and bottom 3 overall.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
To list the squad by sections:

Props: 1. J. Yanuyanutawa, 3. D. Palmer, 1/3 J. Owen, 1/3 B. Alexander
Hookers: S. Moore, S. Siliva
2nd Row: P. Kimlin, L. Power, B. Hand, S. Carter
6: B. Mowen
7: M. Hooper, C. Fainga'a
8: I. Vaea, S. Hoiles, F. Auelua (also centre)

Scrumhalves: N. White, I. Prior
Flyhalves: M. To'omua, C. Leali'ifano
Centres: P. McCabe, R. Coleman, A. Smith, J. Tomane, T. Kuridrani
Wing: H. Speight, K. Sitauti, T. Cox
Fullback: Z. Holmes, C. Crawford

EPS:
Prop: R. Murphy
1-2: S. Sio
Lock: D. Sigg
Lock/6: S. Fardy
Back 3: J. Mogg

I think this squad is a little unbalanced in places. Lots of centres but little wingers. Even of the wingers listed, sitauti is an outside centre. You could almost say the same thing about lilo and flyhalf.

Will also be interesting to see who steps up at lock. I suspect even J. White doesn't know as he has got 6 of them in the squad.

I expect the brumbies to be an absolute mixed bag for the first 5 or 6 games of the season as they work out who is up to it and in what positions. Likewise when injuries hit I feel they might be in for some pleasant surprises moving blokes round and giving others a go.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I think I agree. That does look to be the weakest of the squads. Decent starting forward pack but no depth, and not enough maturity in the backs. That being said, the Reds looked fairly ordinary a couple of seasons back, and look what happened.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont know about weakest, but I would say they certainly have the most unproven squad. I think its good to see actually, the brumbies serving their purpose as a team that gives blokes opportunities they wouldn't get elsewhere.

Can one of the more enlightened posters list the act juniors in the squad. There would be about 5 or 6 no? Not too bad considering the Fainga'a's and battye are with other provinces, and george smith and gits are overseas.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think I agree. That does look to be the weakest of the squads. Decent starting forward pack but no depth, and not enough maturity in the backs. That being said, the Reds looked fairly ordinary a couple of seasons back, and look what happened.

1. Alexander- arguably Australia's best prop throughout 2011, with a knack for ball running and improving his workrate around the park
2. Moore (c)- Australia's most consistent forward (after Pocock) all year, with accurate throwing, valuable ball running and great leadership skills
3. Palmer- most on the forum seem to agree that Palmer's the best scrummaging prop in the country, so there's a big positive
4. Kimlin- former Wallaby who's had a horror-injury run. Good around the park and a stable jumper, won't let the team down
5. Hand- consistent veteran of 50+ caps, excellent in the line-out as well
6. Mowen- replacing Rocky will be hard, but Mowen's a great player. Just read the Waratahs forum, the fans are kicking themselves that he got away
7. Hooper- will face competition from Colby Fainga'a, but that's a good thing. With some Super Rugby and U20RWC experience, should step up this year
8. Vaea- being talked up by some as the solution to the Wallabies' #8 crisis. Great ball running option but he needs to perform
9. White- may not look like much, but he's already being talked up as a possible replacement for Burgess. We'll see how he goes next year
10. To'omua- wasn't his usual self in 2011, but we know he's got ability and he was a Wallaby tourist not too long ago. Big shoes to fill but he will hopefully step up
11. Sitauti- an outside playing wing, but he's got speed to burn. A bit of a mixed bag
12. Coleman- made a brilliant debut this year but didn't suit Giteau's playing style. Can break the line easily and hits holes with pace.
13. McCabe- we all saw how tough McCabe is this year, and his determination coupled with his physicality and speed makes him a good partner to Coleman
14. Speight- Don't know enough about him to make an informed comment, but he was a consistent starter this year so can't be completely hopeless
15. Leali'ifano- awesome skills and kick-return, but he needs to remain consistent as he has been prone to brain farts.
------------------
16. Silvia
17. Owen
18. Power
19. Fainga'a
20. Hoiles/Auelua
21. Prior
22. Smith

Not as bad as the Lions. The forwards look good and there's a few really talented backs. The wingers aren't so flash, but they're not plodders. The bench is a good mix of experience and youth. One or two injuries could prove a real problem, but at the moment it's not all as ghastly as it might seem. There's 3 starting Wallabies in that XV, plus another few Wallaby tourists, former players and U20 stars in the squad. Jake White is no fool either, he'll get the best out of them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Can one of the more enlightened posters list the act juniors in the squad. There would be about 5 or 6 no? Not too bad considering the Fainga'a's and battye are with other provinces, and george smith and gits are overseas.

I don't know if my missus will say I'm enlightened as after being married a long time I always craftily stuff up stacking the dishwasher when I get the chance, and am not allowed to do it.

But ... of all the 35 in the squad and EPS I believe that only Kimlin, Coleman and C. Fainga'a are local juniors.

Incidentally George Smith is a Cromer lad - that's in Sydney.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To'omua was strange this year, he seemed to be playing far too deep 99% of the time.

He ended just shovelling wider with no guile at all

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
To'omua just needs confidence and front-foot ball. He has shown that he is an excellent player throughout his schoolboy years, it's just a matter of finding the right guys around him to help him click.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To'omua was strange this year, he seemed to be playing far too deep 99% of the time.

He ended just shovelling wider with no guile at all

He probably wasn't sure if he was playing flyhalf or fullback in the Brumbies' tri-half system...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Swarley,

Your post above -that's pretty close as to what the starting lineup should be...

There's a fairly good mix of youth and experience, leaning more on the side of youth but what experience is there is mostly in the forwards which is a good thing...

Speight didn't have a good start to the year last year but was excellent in the second half... like most Australian backs can be shakey under the high ball...

However, I think Crawford will be pushing for the other wing or the bench at least, as will Tomane possibly...

The Force have made some decent acquisitions in the off season and the revelation of Stannard at flyhalf will make them a tough opponent...

The Rebels might've secured JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale but they probably still have the weakest forward pack in the comp...

And of course the Brumbies will beat the Reds as it is tradition...:lmao:

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
To'omua was not stellar for his club after the S15 but let's hope, with Giteau gone, that he can become his own man at the Brumbies.

He has to be more dangerous as a runner otherwise defences won't take him seriously. That means playing closer to the tackle line which he was not doing for his club this year. His pop gun kicking from hand is not that effective either.

He is a steady player but Larkham will have to get some zip into his play.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don't know if my missus will say I'm enlightened as after being married a long time I always craftily stuff up stacking the dishwasher when I get the chance, and am not allowed to do it.

But ... of all the 35 in the squad and EPS I believe that only Kimlin, Coleman and C. Fainga'a are local juniors.

Incidentally George Smith is a Cromer lad - that's in Sydney.

Correct - Which shows the malaise in local rugby down this way.

There is plenty of potential with St. Edmunds, Marist, Grammar and Tuggeranong being able to field strong teams, but pathways from school to club is still somewhat lacking in alacrity. Plenty of potential also lies with Queanbeyan (who hardly ever field an 18's team, and rely on St Edmunds graduates) and Gungahlin who should be able to raise a comparatively strong team separate to Daramalan.

East's juniors also hardly ever have an 18's team - which as a Narrabundah College graduate is confusing. Being unable to round up thirty or so young men, offer them gym facilities across the road from school and training shouldn't be that hard. There would have to be over 400 16-18 year old males there.

In short, development down this way leaves a lot to be desired from my point of view. I don't know what initiatives are being run to improve it, either from clubs or the Brumbies.

T

TOCC

Swarley,

Your post above -that's pretty close as to what the starting lineup should be...

There's a fairly good mix of youth and experience, leaning more on the side of youth but what experience is there is mostly in the forwards which is a good thing...

Speight didn't have a good start to the year last year but was excellent in the second half... like most Australian backs can be shakey under the high ball...

However, I think Crawford will be pushing for the other wing or the bench at least, as will Tomane possibly...

The Force have made some decent acquisitions in the off season and the revelation of Stannard at flyhalf will make them a tough opponent...

The Rebels might've secured JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale but they probably still have the weakest forward pack in the comp...

And of course the Brumbies will beat the Reds as it is tradition...:lmao:

oh of course...except of course that the Reds beat the Brumbies at home in 2011... but i guess 'tradition' is in the eye of the beholder

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That was good ol Canberra charity to give Queensland something positive following the floods..

Now that it's out of the way we're going back o domination...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Judging from that squad I wouldn't be expecting anything for atleast 2 years from the Brumbies. If injuries occur, which they will, that squad does not really have the depth to cover.
This will be a rebuilding period for the side and hopefully the develop alot more younger stars for future years.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not as bad as the Lions.

You didn't..

The Lions are really going to show up a few people this year. Go watch the Currie Cup final to see what I mean.

IMO the worst teams in the comp next year will be the Bulls, Rebels, Brumbies and Hurricanes

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nugget from the Crimes:

The Brumbies have also called on the services of former Cape Town Stormers defensive consultant David Wessels for pre-season training.

Any of our Saffa friends have any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.