• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a massive blow...

Really wanted to see him establish himself in one of the centre positions...

I guess we'll most likely see a Coleman/Smith or Coleman/Tomane combination?

'tis a shame Stubbs went...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Why do you not rate lilo, I would have though he might get a shot at 12?

Or is he a fullback now?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lilo would be an option, but Coleman is the better prospect...

And Lilo should probably be playing at fullback anyways where he played in the last few rounds this year...

When McCabe is fit he'll likely slot straight back into either 12/13, depending on where White/Larkham see him being the best fit.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
McCabe out for 5-6 months... bad news...

But not unexpected. I'm hoping that when he comes back, he is able to bring the same hardcore defence he showed for the wallabies. Some of his hits were great.

Now... Just if he could enter contact lower when running the ball...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why do you not rate lilo, I would have though he might get a shot at 12?

Or is he a fullback now?

I have said it before on this thread, Cam Crawford has to be the smokey for 15 or the wing, big & fast - good player

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I have said it before on this thread, Cam Crawford has to be the smokey for 15 or the wing, big & fast - good player

I'd have to agree, furthermore Lealiifano may end up at flyhalf or 12. He has been solid in both positions in the past. Openong 15 for Crawford, it will really depend on how he handles Super rugby. Plenty of talent but very green.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd have to agree, furthermore Lealiifano may end up at flyhalf or 12. He has been solid in both positions in the past. Openong 15 for Crawford, it will really depend on how he handles Super rugby. Plenty of talent but very green.

I reckon Lilo has been great at 12 in the past - I'd like to see him there again this year. The Brumbies seem to be getting proactive about things this year, I got a call asking if I was renewing my memberships which has never happened before. I guess potentially they are just worried about losing members after last season. I'm actually more excited about next season than I have been in a while. Possibly because I have no expectations that they'll make the finals, I just want them to play attractive rugby again and I reckon they have the team to do it.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
They rang me as well and we hadn't even renewed last season. Actually they rang last year as well when we didn't renew. I will be interested to see how they go with membership numbers. We used to have 6 memberships for many years, but none of us renewed in 2011.

We have already bought 8 memberships for 2012 - the same original 6 plus 2 new ones. We're with you, Clawhammer. All of us are really looking forward to the new season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did you get called by a player?

I heard that last year the Tahs players were calling previous members asking if they were going to renew.

It made me feel ripped off that I'd renewed my membership straight away and didn't get a call from one of the players.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've never really followed the Brumbies but I'll be watching them this year, I just have this feeling that now that the pressure is off them and with Jake White on board they'll have a good run at things... Looking forward to some entertaining rugby, plus loved the way gits showed no quarter with the reds last year. Hopefully that mindset will be entrenched in all aus teams, we need to start wanting to absolutely belt each other if we want to become the best in the world.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
It must be noted that Ben Alexander has shown up for training even though he's only just come back from the World Cup less than a week ago.
It just goes to show the commitment he is prepared to put in.

I remember from last year that he turned up earlier than required after the spring tour.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
It seems ironic given that he is the Brumbies only Wallaby back , but I am
not sure where McCabe is going to fit in the team in 2012. He is obviously
very solid defensively but I don't think he offers enough in attack.

Playing McCabe at 12 did nothing for the Wallabies attack and it will do
nothing for the Brumbies.

First, I think that if To'omua is the starting 10 he will
do better with a second playmaker outside him such as Lealiifano, Holmes or
Coleman.

Second, Jake has obviously recruited big fast backs with a purpose in mind, and I
would expect him to try to build a team along the lines of the
Gregan/Larkham era, with a running 10, a second playmaker at 12, a big
quick line-busting 13 and speed to burn in the back three.

I don't see where McCabe fits into that plan.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
He's a hard straight runner, but usually dies with the ball and doesn't have the size speed or footwork to beat his man or the passing skill to put away his winger.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
BJ

That was good hustle from Benny to show up at training but I hope that Jake sent him home for a week, at least.

I hope that White/Gandalf play Benny at LHP: mainly to let a better scrummager, Palmer, start at 3 and secondly to convince Deans that Benny is just as good a LHP as he is a THP - or at least, not worse. Then Palmer could rise in Wob estimations.

And not to the point of the Brumbies, but Ma'afu could have a shot in the west of starting week in, week out at THP. Sometimes the system works.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
Did you get called by a player?

I heard that last year the Tahs players were calling previous members asking if they were going to renew.

It made me feel ripped off that I'd renewed my membership straight away and didn't get a call from one of the players.

Na it was one of the admin staff.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
I cerrtainly don't underestimate McCabe, in particular his hard running and courage are unquestioned. But I do think To'omua will need a second playmaker like Lealiifano or Coleman outside him and would not want to see McCabe at 12.

The outside backs are pretty much an unknown quantity at present but McCabe missing the first games of the season will give them a chance to show what they can do. However Smith Kuridrani and Tomane are all bigger and faster than McCabe so I think he will have plenty of competition for the 13 spot.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
To list the squad by sections:

Props: 1. J. Yanuyanutawa, 3. D. Palmer, 1/3 J. Owen, 1/3 B. Alexander
Hookers: S. Moore, S. Siliva
2nd Row: P. Kimlin, L. Power, B. Hand, S. Carter
6: B. Mowen
7: M. Hooper, C. Fainga'a
8: I. Vaea, S. Hoiles, F. Auelua (also centre)

Scrumhalves: N. White, I. Prior
Flyhalves: M. To'omua, C. Leali'ifano
Centres: P. McCabe, R. Coleman, A. Smith, J. Tomane, T. Kuridrani
Wing: H. Speight, K. Sitauti, T. Cox
Fullback: Z. Holmes, C. Crawford

EPS:
Prop: R. Murphy
1-2: S. Sio
Lock: D. Sigg
Lock/6: S. Fardy
Back 3: J. Mogg

Funny – Jake said he was going for a 17/13 split and he's got 16/14. ......[Mogg is listed as the 31st player, but it may be a mistake as he is also mentioned in the EPS.]

I just realised that the Brumbies didn't have anybody listed as a 6. Even Mowen was called an 8 but no doubt he will be first off the rank to play 6. Kimlin can play there and so can Fardy from the EPS but they are thin on the blindside flank.

They are also skinny in the hardness department. They will all put their bodies on the line but I would call only 2. Moore and 8. Vaea naturally hard men with Power, the Kiwi, and Palmer, close. I would be concerned about Jerry Y and Siliva because they both play loose. I can see Murphy taking Jerry's contract spot if things work out as I think.

One of the flyhalves will have to step up this year with Giteau gone. The only certainties I would have starting in the backs are 9. White, 12. Coleman and McCabe. I don't know much about Prior but if he is better than White, then he is bloody good.

It's going to be a lolly scramble for seven of the players who could wear numbers 11/13/14 and 15 and I'm like Sergeant Schultz about Tom Cox: I know nothing. Holmes from WA has had a top season in the Shute Shield, as has Crawford but I wouldn't be surprised to see McCabe at fullback when he is fit.

Come to think of it though, Lilo could have the 15 jersey and McCabe play elsewhere. They will need all their experienced backs on the park when the season starts until the best of the new guys put up their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.