• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hooper heads to Tahs

Brumbies' breakaway Michael Hooper looks set to join the Waratahs next year. Picture: Getty Image Source: Getty Images
MICHAEL Hooper, Australia's best breakaway prospect since David Pocock, is set to join the Waratahs next year.
The Daily Telegraph understands Hooper is on the verge of inking a deal with NSW, which will be a massive coup for their back row.
The Brumbies No.7 has been a revelation this year, earning rave reviews for brilliant performances throughout his side's ascension to the top of the Australian conference.
It's believed the Waratahs have won a three-way battle for Hooper's signature, beating the Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels.
The Waratahs' No.7 jersey has been synonymous with Phil Waugh, who retired at the end of last season. This year, Pat McCutcheon, Chris Alcock and Jono Jenkins have all worn the famous jumper, with Alcock the first-choice now that McCutcheon has suffered a season-ending ankle injury.

None of the three are contracted beyond this season, and with the expected acquisition of Hooper, their futures are unclear.
Hooper was an enormous presence at the ruck against the Rebels last week, and made his mark as a bona fide champion of the future in round five when he dominated the Highlanders, who up to that point had the standout backrow in the tournament.
Hooper was named Australia's under-20 player of the year at the end of last season and is tipped as a future Wallaby.
Former Australian greats including John Eales and Brendan Cannon have been full of praise of Hooper this season, and he has established himself as a firm contender to play back-up to Wallabies flanker David Pocock along with Reds youngster Liam Gill. Hooper, mentored by George Smith, is one of the fastest forwards in Australian rugby and his ball-pilfering skills are similar to those of Smith, who is a Brumbies legend.
Hooper made his Super Rugby debut in 2010 as an 18-year-old but it is this year that he has matured into a proven Super Rugby talent.
Hooper, who is from Sydney and played with Manly in the Shute Shield, has always hoped to return closer to family.
NSW are attempting to re-sign backrowers Dave Dennis and Wycliff Palu. It is unclear whether the expected signing of Hooper could jeopardise deals with these two. Now the Rebels have failed in their bid for Hooper, they will make a big play for Pocock, however he is expected to remain at the Western Force.
The loss of Hooper will be a big blow to the Brumbies, who have used him as a starting player and impact man off the bench this season.
But there was some positive news for the Brumbies yesterday, when they managed to re-sign winger Henry Speight for a further two years.
Speight, who attracted interest from Melbourne, has been a regular starter on the wing and is developing into a fine prospect.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Hooper gone apparently to the Tahs. What do your sources say BJ?

Most likely. We all know Jake likes a big and physical back row and it looks like Hooper's size has counted against him. It could be a reverse George Smith decision when the Tahs said 'sorry, you're too small' and we all know how that worked out for them.

It looks like Jake wants some big mothers in the back row instead of fetchers, which is a specialty of his. So there'll be Mowen, Vaea, Kimlin, Auelua and expect an addition to those names next year - possibly from a team that wears blue.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
If Pocock leaves the Force he'll go the the Rebels, for the same reason O'Connor & Beale went.

Hooper leaving the Brums - obviously disappointing, but if he wants to chance his career with the tahs, good luck.
White had the chance to coach England for more fame & dollars, but he stayed at the Brumbies because he realised he made a commitment.
If Hooper feels differently, I guess we'll have to adjust to life without him. If he goes, I trust the Brums' organisation to come up with a worthy replacement.
As a healthy organisation, you'd want to keep people who really wanna be here. Better let go people who wanna be somewhere else. This said, if he decides to stay it would be great.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
If Hooper wants to be in Sydney with family thats understandable.... I wish him the best However he is doing well at the Brumbies under Jake White, What interesting about this article is Hooper is in South Africa, how is he going to pen anything? So my thinking is they're still in talks for now... May not be a result until he gets back.

Brumbies still have Colby Faingga who has plenty of potential and isnt as small as Hoops...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If White doesn't like Hooper because he's not a big baller runner what chance is Colby.. he's got less fetcher skills than Hooper.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
If White doesn't like Hooper because he's not a big baller runner what chance is Colby.. he's got less fetcher skills than Hooper.

White's praised Hooper's fetching ability the whole year. Hooper wants to go home to NSW, he isn't being cut by White.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White's praised Hooper's fetching ability the whole year. Hooper wants to go home to NSW, he isn't being cut by White.

I probably shouldn't have said "didn't like Hooper", more "a preference of Vaea has been shown...". I was referring to Colby not likely to get selected.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I probably shouldn't have said "didn't like Hooper", more "a preference of Vaea has been shown...". I was referring to Colby not likely to get selected.

I'd say Colby is close to a perfect player for what White has traditionally looked for in a 7. He plays a heavier game like a 6/8, he's a lineout option, and while not as good as Hooper, he the fetching abilities of an openside too. If he's fit I think he'll get the nod ahead of Vaea at 6 or 7.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Colby was in line to start at 7 in Whites original fist choice xv until he got injured and White opted for Vaea...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Colby is a very good player; there isn't a lot of difference between Hoops and him. Colby can do the job just as well, and is a smart footballer; furthermore he offers other skills such as leadership and communication on the ground.

Hoops has had a few good games 2012 but he isn't a George Smith yet.... So let’s not get too carried away... If he doesn’t want to be at the Brumbies breakdown frankly I'd rather he be elsewhere... I wish him the best, it’s just a great shame he maybe be leaving a team clearly on the rise, where the Tahs are on their way down... :rolleyes:

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree:)
Assuming he's going, no pointing in holding on to a player who wants to move on.
I trust the Brumbies will be able to find a more than adequate replacement/solution, in addition to Colby.

Status
Not open for further replies.