• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Speaking of Vanderglas, he's killing it over in the Top 14 at 7 which I have to say is a surprise to me. I always thought he wasn't up to it physically but he's been one of the best 7s this season.

How old is he? Could he be homebound at some point?

I saw him play for Grenoble (who are vastly outplaying their roster) and he was pretty solid.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
How old is he? Could he be homebound at some point?

I saw him play for Grenoble (who are vastly outplaying their roster) and he was pretty solid.

26 I believe, and not home bound any time soon - he has been re-signed for 2 more years. Very quick and strong, and very down to earth. Hope to see him back playing 7's for the Rio campaign.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
26 I believe, and not home bound any time soon - he has been re-signed for 2 more years. Very quick and strong, and very down to earth. Hope to see him back playing 7's for the Rio campaign.

That's sad, the Rebels desperately need 7s.

Though I always see him playing as a small 8.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am curious what position this puts To'omua in, regarding a place in the side.

As good as To'omua is im not sure he will fit into the starting squad. It would be stupid not to put the form 10 of 2012 back into the starting 10 position. Not sure how versatile To'omua is in other positions.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To'omua needs to seek another club after this season I think, he won't be first choice at the Brums and he would be elsewhere.

The Brums have a terrific 10 in Lealiifano, a decent one in Holmes, and a solid utility in Coleman.

To'omua ranks somewhere in between Lealiifano and Holmes for mine and needs to be shipped to the Force or the Rebels.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
To'omua needs to seek another club after this season ... The Brums have a terrific 10 in Lealiifano
It did take five years for people to say Lealiifano is first choice 10, if I'm not mistaken it is now To'omua's fifth year, I'm more than happy for the growing to continue.

I mean, look at what training under Larkham has done for Lealiifano's skill at 10, reminds me of Larkham almost every game. Imagine two players who can both play 10 and both do it like Larkham did? I'm all for that.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Do the brumbies have an academy or wider training group? I did hear they had guys training with them pre Christmas, is that still going on? Or will national academy guys get a look in if there's an injury crisis?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
They've brought in players from the local comp to train with them.

Jake dislikes the National Academy concept in that if a player in a key position goes down then there won't be enough time to get them up to speed with plays etc once they get to a training session.

Theoretically, if a player gets injured on a Saturday game, then you're looking at Monday/Tuesday before they turn up, one day off during the week, then if they play a Friday night then Thursday is only the captain's run.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They've brought in players from the local comp to train with them.

I think White was talking about up to 20 players for this.

Brums fans: Are there 9 in the squad - any others at this stage?

• http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Article/tabid/1213/ArticleID/8002/Default.aspx

ACT Club stars bolster Brumbies Rugby stocks

11/13/2012
    By Brumbies Media Unit

The University of Canberra Brumbies have rewarded nine of Canberra’s most promising rugby players with spots in their pre-season squads in preparation for the 2013 Super Rugby and John I Dent seasons.

Sam Windsor (Queanbeyan),
    Matt Hawke (Gungahlin),
    Andrew Barrell (Gungahlin),
    Gareth Clouston (Tuggeranong),
    Tim Cree (Tuggeranong),
    Chris Cocca (Easts) and
    Robbie Abel (Royals)
    Andrew Robinson (Australian Schoolboys)
    Tom Staniforth (Australian Schoolboys)
  • For Windsor, it’s another step towards fulfilling his ambition of signing a professional rugby contract. The talented playmaker spent two years playing in London before returning to the Whites and is keen to put his best foot forward over the next month of rugby.

“It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I left school, be part of a program like this,” Windsor said. “With the changes the Brumbies have made to their program and the way they select players from club rugby it’s made opportunities more available for players like me. It’s been amazing here with the bunch of lads, coaching staff and support staff. You can see it’s going to be a big season here for the Brumbies.

Windsor was part of the Brumbies Academy back in 2008, before making the move to Europe. He said this pre-season presented him with one of his best opportunities to take the extra step and show the fulltime coaches what he was capable of.

“The coaches are obviously teaching us a fair bit, but training alongside the guys who are a similar age to us but have a bit more experience is also helping me improve. In terms of facilities and coaches, I’ve never been a program like this. It’s a fantastic opportunity.”

Usually an opponent, Windsor has enjoyed running inside Gungahlin’s powerful ball runner Matt Hawke during the last three weeks of pre-season. Hawke has made a positive impact throughout the last 18 months of rugby in Canberra and was regarded as one of the local competition’s best players in 2012.

Hawke was equally as excited by the prospect of training with the fulltime squad for pre-season. “The professional side of things is where I’ve probably learnt the most so far. The drills and working through rugby sort of stuff, we’ve all done that but making it a fulltime job is really exciting,” Hawke said.

“This is the first time I’ve been involved with a fulltime program like this and the professionalism is taking some getting used to. Everything is run to a deadline – we need to see results from every session. It’s not so much a case of turning up for training, there’s a lot for me to take away from the experience in how I prepare for a game and approach a training session.”

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
For all the talk around, Alexander has 40+ Wallabies caps (maybe 50?), vs zero (?) for Palmer.

Palmer has 1 cap (v Scotland last year). I thought he acquitted himself well in what was a tricky game. Most of that game was spent packing scrums against a pretty decent scrummaging outfit and the scrum was steady when he was on. It should be noted that we conceded a scrum penalty after the siren (when Palmer was off the field) that lost us the game.

I agree though he'll need to step up in Super 15 this year but he represents a great bench option if we need someone to steady the scrum (which is very likely).

The thing people forget though is that many games, partiucalry those player in good conditions, just dont have that many scrums. In those games its much better to have a guy like Alexandar out there, who actually makes an impact in attack and defense. THat is where Palmer needs to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.