• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The problem really does come back to their using "We don't give top ups unless you've been a Wallaby for two years" as their defence and then giving it to new Wallabies. It's the difference between 15k a game and 50k a game.

You'd think Hooper would be on a top up too, but he only started out in 2012.

T

TOCC

Ok, so let's agree that Mowen deserves a top up, since there is only a limited amount of cash in Australian Rugby who should lose out, Higgers or Palu?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Now I am sure that the market sets the rates, but surely if someone plays 10 Tests @ $14K per game, plus (guessing) $300-$400K per year from S15 salary, plus sponsorship if you are lucky enough to grab a slice of that pie, you are doing ok. What other topups are needed?

Super rugby contracts without ARU top ups are nowhere near 300-400K. I believe the maximum super contract is less than half of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Australian salary cap is $4.5m for the 30 players in the squad.

That means the average Super Rugby salary for a full contract player is $150k.

The 5 EPS players can be paid a total of $200k between them.

D

daz

The Australian salary cap is $4.5m for the 30 players in the squad.

That means the average Super Rugby salary for a full contract player is $150k.

The 5 EPS players can be paid a total of $200k between them.

Yeah, they are the numbers I saw during a bit of interwebby-thingy research.

I just can't see how that is right though. It just seems too low for a pro-ball player.

If Mowen is on the average of $150K, plus the non-ARU topup figure of $14K per Test (let's say he plays 10 Tests this year), then his annual salary is $290K.

Sure, that is a good bit of change, but for an S15 captain and Wallaby?

I'm steering my kid to golf or tennis!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, they are the numbers I saw during a bit of interwebby-thingy research.

I just can't see how that is right though. It just seems too low for a pro-ball player.

If Mowen is on the average of $150K, plus the non-ARU topup figure of $14K per Test (let's say he plays 10 Tests this year), then his annual salary is $290K.

Sure, that is a good bit of change, but for an S15 captain and Wallaby?

I'm steering my kid to golf or tennis!

Mowen wouldn't be on the average though. If he was, his manager is an idiot.

Will Genia was reportedly offered ~$550k a season to move to the Force and stayed at the Reds for ~$400k a season so that is probably an idea of what the really top guys in a team are paid.

I think you'll find that the bottom 10 players or thereabouts at each franchise are somewhere closer to $80k and salaries move up from there. Otherwise there is no room at the top end for players to be getting $300k+ from their Super Rugby contract.

T

TOCC

Exactly, market forces will dictate that the better players are earning well above the average..

D

daz

Mowen wouldn't be on the average though. If he was, his manager is an idiot.

Will Genia was reportedly offered ~$550k a season to move to the Force and stayed at the Reds for ~$400k a season so that is probably an idea of what the really top guys in a team are paid.

I think you'll find that the bottom 10 players or thereabouts at each franchise are somewhere closer to $80k and salaries move up from there. Otherwise there is no room at the top end for players to be getting $300k+ from their Super Rugby contract.

I agree with what you are saying, but if the top 2 or 3 players are on good money at their clubs, it obviously doesn't leave a hell of a lot for the next tier of player, and even less for the basic player.

I'm not arguing the point so much as being genuinely surprised at how little our S15 players make, on average.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not arguing the point so much as being genuinely surprised at how little our S15 players make, on average.

I guess this is why players such as John Ulugia or Damien Fitzpatrick go and play 2nd division in France. If you're a run of the mill Super Rugby player it isn't really a lucrative career.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I guess this is why players such as John Ulugia or Damien Fitzpatrick go and play 2nd division in France. If you're a run of the mill Super Rugby player it isn't really a lucrative career.

Or play in the ITM cup in the offseason for a bit of a salary top up. They want to "stay" in OZ but know they're not going to make the Wallabies or get the top end super contracts.

D

daz

Ok, so the obvious question is how better off is your run of the mill player (not super star) in French Div 2 or even Top 14 compared to S15?

Anyone have a ball park salary comparison?

Apologies for going off-topic in the Brumbies thread!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Back to Ben Mowen.
As Brumbies skipper he'd have to be earning close to $400k there. Plus say 10 games this season with the Wallabies is $140,000. So he is getting over $500k p.a. plus some sponsorships meaning probably $550k to $600K.
His problem (and his manager would know it), is that when Pocock, Higginsbotham, and Palu come back into the side, plus up & coming younger players like Gill & Wil Skelton, then Mowen could be out of the 23 group.
Therefore less game payments. So he's striking while all his planets are aligned. But the ARU would also be aware of the situation, and I can't see them falling over themselves to give Mowen a top up.
In fact, in cases like Mowen's I think the two year top up rule is a good one. If he's good enough, he'll be in the dough. If not, then 'bon voyage', if that's what he chooses to do.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Back to Ben Mowen.
So he's striking while all his planets are aligned. But the ARU would also be aware of the situation, and I can't see them falling over themselves to give Mowen a top up.
In fact, in cases like Mowen's I think the two year top up rule is a good one. If he's good enough, he'll be in the dough. If not, then 'bon voyage', if that's what he chooses to do.

One other fact is that he is/was a Wallaby Captain with a winning record. Hopefully helps on the speaking circuit.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Ala'alatoa family is no stranger to recognition in the rugby world. Allan’s father Vili, played 16 tests for Western Samoa, including the infamous defeat of Wales at the 1991 World Cup, while older brother Michael represented Samoa at last year’s Under 20 Junior World Championship, but the fact that he’s 2 years younger than most of his team mates and playing in one of the most pivotal and physically taxing roles on the field at tight head, makes Allan’s achievement all the more remarkable.

One person keeping a keen eye on his progress is West Harbour’s 1st Grade coach and former Wallaby flanker Daniel Manu and he had some big wraps for his young protégé.

“Allan’s always been a great talent and he’s got all the attributes. He’s probably the most promising prop coming through from colts that I’ve seen since I’ve been coaching, just in terms of how young he is and how strong he is – he’s playing Under 20’s when he’s only just 18. I’ve seen him in the gym and he’s super strong in the core and he’s still got two years to get bigger, stronger and faster just in that age group. He’s definitely Wallaby material in the making and I really hope that he is up at that level in three or four years time.”

Source: http://clubrugby.com.au/swashbuckling-young-pirate-out-to-conquer-the-world/

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Back to Ben Mowen.
As Brumbies skipper he'd have to be earning close to $400k there. Plus say 10 games this season with the Wallabies is $140,000. So he is getting over $500k p.a. plus some sponsorships meaning probably $550k to $600K.
His problem (and his manager would know it), is that when Pocock, Higginsbotham, and Palu come back into the side, plus up & coming younger players like Gill & Wil Skelton, then Mowen could be out of the 23 group.
Therefore less game payments. So he's striking while all his planets are aligned. But the ARU would also be aware of the situation, and I can't see them falling over themselves to give Mowen a top up.

Palu ain't coming back, it's time to move on and find someone to actually PLAY in the 8 jersey for more than 100 minutes a season, then spend the rest of it moaning about how Palu is injured.

6. Mowen/Fardy (Fardy should move into 2nd row ASAP to fill the void of gaping shitness provided by Simmons)
7. Pocock/Hooper/Gill
8. Higgers/McCalman/Vaea

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Now that Jake has moved on, I'll put any coaching speculation in this thread.

The panel that was convened hasn't yet decided whether to look outside what's already in place (Fisher/Larkham) and they want to make sure they have had a good look at ant candidate. Apparently there are 20 names being thrown around so based on that it doesn't look like an announcement will happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.