• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Palu ain't coming back, it's time to move on and find someone to actually PLAY in the 8 jersey for more than 100 minutes a season, then spend the rest of it moaning about how Palu is injured.

6. Mowen/Fardy (Fardy should move into 2nd row ASAP to fill the void of gaping shitness provided by Simmons)
7. Pocock/Hooper/Gill
8. Higgers/McCalman/Vaea

The ARU signed this year Palu for a few more years and it appears he is actually being given a chance to do a full rehab (for a change) and a preseason, I expect Higgers & Palu to share the 8 role through to the RWC

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given how well Fardy has done this year, would you expect him at lock with a backrow of Mowen, Pocock, Butler, or would you just expect a backrow of Fardy, Pocock, Mowen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would seem that the Brumbies have more depth in the backrow than at lock so perhaps Fardy might spend a fair bit of time at lock again.

I guess it will depend on whether Vaea comes back, how they want to use Auelua etc.

Personally, I think it will be a mistake to try and make Auelua a regular starting player. It really doesn't seem to suit his playing style. Last year he went from being a 25 minute destroyer when used off the bench to being a bit of a liability when he started the game.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It would seem that the Brumbies have more depth in the backrow than at lock so perhaps Fardy might spend a fair bit of time at lock again.

I guess it will depend on whether Vaea comes back, how they want to use Auelua etc.

Personally, I think it will be a mistake to try and make Auelua a regular starting player. It really doesn't seem to suit his playing style. Last year he went from being a 25 minute destroyer when used off the bench to being a bit of a liability when he started the game.

Was never a liability. Just didn't have the impact later in the season. Injury problems I think.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I re-call Aurela starting in SA in his first season at the Brums and having a load of impact! I was expecting him to be a regular starter this season but looks like he went backwards.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Aulua needs to be utilised like radike samo was for the reds, saved to start for specific teams and used as an impact sub for others.
Palu should be used the same way.
Fardy should play lock for brumbies i think he will end up being the starting loosehead lock for the wallabies when they get more flanker options back and his partnership with Carter is pretty excellent. Why change it?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Aulua needs to be utilised like radike samo was for the reds, saved to start for specific teams and used as an impact sub for others.
Palu should be used the same way.
Fardy should play lock for brumbies i think he will end up being the starting loosehead lock for the wallabies when they get more flanker options back and his partnership with Carter is pretty excellent. Why change it?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Disagree

Nuances of different coaches maybe Fardy=Kimlin in skills, possible opportunities for both Power and Oosthuizen

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
for the record, I'm saying Butler at 8 because I don't know about Vaea being ready straight away and, as others have said, think Auelua is a much more effective impact off the bench.

And I agree, Fardy at lock. Just wanted to guage some opinions :D

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Notice other Aus teams are starting to organise their 2014 trial games. I presume the Brumbies are lagging in this regard because we don't have a head coach appointed. If so, just another reason for the decision to be made asap, otherwise we might end up scratching around to find suitable opposition.

Would like to see a trial game played at the new Gungahlin oval which looks like it will be ready well before time. And close to the Brumbies new HQ.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I like it how Brumbieman suggests that Palu won't play for the Wallabies again because of injuries and then names Ita Vaea as one of his three options at 8.

Fair point, but Vaea is 10 years younger than Palu, and was out because of a blood clot, rather than 10 years of continuing structural and ligamental damage.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Tell me more about this new pitch at Gungahlin. New of govt money being spent on rugby infrastructure pleases me greatly. Does the ACT govt support the club rugby scene?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would like to see a trial game played at the new Gungahlin oval which looks like it will be ready well before time. And close to the Brumbies new HQ.

Don't we usually play a NT game against the Force? I heard that might be in trouble but consistency is good.

If we can't do that, I'd say we invite the Reds, Crusaders or Highlanders over. Maybe all three and have a tournament (wishful thinking, I know)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Tell me more about this new pitch at Gungahlin. New of govt money being spent on rugby infrastructure pleases me greatly. Does the ACT govt support the club rugby scene?

I believe the Eagles will move in there in 2014. It's next to the College, between that and the old Magnet Mart. It will look similar to Greenway from what I can see with a partially covered stand and does have lights. I don't understand the AFL part of the oval since the Gungahlin Jets play at Amaroo and they have just receive money for facilities there.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

Pretty sure they finance about 1/2 of the annual comp. I know Easts lost their clubhouse lately and everything was going downhill, they somehow survived? I'm saying the govt did that.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
god wherever there is infrastructure spend to be had, the great destroyer of Australian sport, the AFL is there as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.