• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Machine work won't replicate the range of motion that free weights will, and I'm not sure if machines or free weights would necessarily replicate the collisions in a match situation (although free weights would be closer).

But Pocock posted some of his recovery training on twitter; much of his recovery was core-based and lower-body-based, not beach muscle-based, and with a hell of a lot of free weights. One exercise that made me wince was putting a barbell on his shoulders and then backing up against a wall so the weights were rolling against it, then lowering down on one leg -- like a combo one-legged squat/wall sit -- and then exploding back up.

No idea what could have caused this latest re-injury. Maybe he rushed the recovery in the gym, so the muscles built up quickly to provide superficial support, but the ligament didn't properly heal. But it does seem like the guys who reached bodybuilder status at a young age have more of these ligament and tendon issues than the rest of us mortals.

To back up what you are saying mxyzpylk, from my earlier post, the Brumbies had identified issues with him and are trying to correct them and extend his career.

And just like the 6 Million Dollar Man the Brumbies will re-build him for the betterment of the ARU and Australian Rugby.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/02/12/pococks-body-has-been-rebuilt-larkham/

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/brumbies-plan-to-make-david-pocock-man-of-many-talents-20140227-33meh.html

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Machine work won't replicate the range of motion that free weights will, and I'm not sure if machines or free weights would necessarily replicate the collisions in a match situation (although free weights would be closer).

But Pocock posted some of his recovery training on twitter; much of his recovery was core-based and lower-body-based, not beach muscle-based, and with a hell of a lot of free weights. One exercise that made me wince was putting a barbell on his shoulders and then backing up against a wall so the weights were rolling against it, then lowering down on one leg -- like a combo one-legged squat/wall sit -- and then exploding back up.

No idea what could have caused this latest re-injury. Maybe he rushed the recovery in the gym, so the muscles built up quickly to provide superficial support, but the ligament didn't properly heal. But it does seem like the guys who reached bodybuilder status at a young age have more of these ligament and tendon issues than the rest of us mortals.

He did do a lot core work, most of it being free weight. If you watched his Instagram feed he was doing a lot of short-sprint work and simulated game moves. That thing he did with the power bands attached to the goalpost, the tackle pads acting as a ruck and the lateral moves required was certainly something to admire.

He is a big boy but I think he's well in proportion, I.e he doesn't come across as the beach arms meathead and he certainly didn't skip leg day......ever!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Won't be the end of him. Look at Matt Hodgson he had 3 recons before he played with the force and this weekend he will make play his 100 game. Poey is strong he will be back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
tumblr_lfsqif5W2Z1qe1wk7o1_500.jpg

319346-george-smith.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bad news for the Ponies and the Wobs.

Guess it is now down to a two way battle between Hooper and LFG for the #7 jumper, with Hooper out in front by a long neck ATM.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bad news for the Ponies and the Wobs.

Guess it is now down to a two way battle between Hooper and LFG for the #7 jumper, with Hooper out in front by a long neck ATM.
Not really sure it's a discussion point with the first Test some way off. Plenty of water to go under the bridge still.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A knee reconstruction is a seaso ender. That only leaves two real possibilites for the openside slot. There has been some discussion on the threads at the prospect of Hooper vs LFG vs BamBam during the S15 rugby. It has now become a two horse race.

We are in serious trouble if one of the remaining 7's gets selected for Team Rehab.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A knee reconstruction is a seaso ender. That only leaves two real possibilites for the openside slot. There has been some discussion on the threads at the prospect of Hooper vs LFG vs BamBam during the S15 rugby. It has now become a two horse race.

We are in serious trouble if one of the remaining 7's gets selected for Team Rehab.
If you look at the stats from last yer Alcock was as good as hooper and gill just needs to get on the field he is a much better player than Hodgo but him being the captain he finds himself on the bench a lot.

Then you have Fainga who if you believe the hype from some brumbies fans is the better then all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.