• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think that Lilo will miss the start of next season if he opts to wait till after the EOYT for his surgery? So with Mogg and likely Lilo out at the start, the Brumbies will need maybe a 12 and 15. Coleman could play either position, as could McCabe. A. Smith could step into 12, but I see him as more of a 13.

I think that McCabe will likely be in direct contest with Coleman for a bench spot, the other going to Rathbone or A. Smith.

Plenty of depth in that Brumbies backline next year, although Holmes and Prior would've been handy to hang onto.

I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Smith at 12 with Kuridrani at 13, but we shouldn't forget that Rathbone started his career as a 12 also. Either way, it would be a backline of very large proportions, something like the Wallabies when they had Latham. Roff, Mortlock and Herbert.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So all of the spots are filled and this is now the official Brumbies squad for 2014:

Forwards: Alexander, Auelua, Butler, Carter, Fardy, Mann-Rea, Moore, Mowen, Murphy, Pocock, Power, Siliva, Sio, R Smith, Smiler, Whetton, Vaea (contracted, but unlikely to play)

Backs: Coleman, Cronje, Hoffmann, Kuridrani, Lealiifano, McCabe, Mogg, Rathbone, A Smith, Speight, Tomane, To'omua, White

EPS: Ala'alatoa, Dowsett, McCaffrey, JP Smith, van der Walt

According to Chris Dutton in the Crimes Vaea is still under contract with the Brumbies, but is unlikely to play in 2014.........

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
One G smith for end of the season ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Haha, I think that was luck personified but it wouldn't surprise me if the Brums need to call up a 7 this year.

Poey is injury prone and Butler just isn't the replacement Smith or even Colby is.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haha, I think that was luck personified but it wouldn't surprise me if the Brums need to call up a 7 this year.

Poey is injury prone and Butler just isn't the replacement Smith or even Colby is.
Indeed lets hope Poey lasts the season. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
don't underrate Butler. His club form was fantastic at the end of the year. I reckon he'll have a big year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him starting at 8 for most the season.

I see there being room for that to happen. Noodles and the big saffa gone will see Fardy consistently at lock and Mowen and Buttler fill 6&8.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Smiler played 7's for NZ and more recently for Norths in Sydney.

Was part of the World Club 7's squad and usually plays blindside flanker

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Forgot about Aeulua. I haven't heard about Smiler. Tell us a bit about him?

Cheers

Jordan Smiler

Blindside Flanker

Height: 193cm
Weight: 107kg
Date Of Birth: 19/06/1985
Place of Birth: Palmerston Norths, New Zealand

Stats
Super Rugby Caps: 4
Super Rugby Debut: 2013 v Highlanders, Dunedin

A tall, athletic ball-runner and fearless defender, Jordan Smiler comes to the Brumbies after a successful career on the global Sevens circuit.

A former New Zealand Sevens squad member, Smiler switched his allegiances in 2011 to skipper the Australian side at the Oceania Championships in Samoa.

Having cut his teeth in Waikato’s aged grade ranks, Smiler moved to Australia looking for greater opportunities.

He flourished under the coaching of Scott Fava at Northern Suburbs in Sydney's Shute Shield, running the side like clockwork alongside fellow Brumbies Zack Holmes and Scott Sio.

At 27 years of age, Smiler is looking to use the experience he has gained over the last decade of professional rugby to give him and edge over his opposition.

This from the Brumbies' site prior to 2013.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Jordan Smiler

Blindside Flanker

Height: 193cm
Weight: 107kg
Date Of Birth: 19/06/1985
Place of Birth: Palmerston Norths, New Zealand
Stats
Super Rugby Caps: 4
Super Rugby Debut: 2013 v Highlanders, Dunedin
A tall, athletic ball-runner and fearless defender, Jordan Smiler comes to the Brumbies after a successful career on the global Sevens circuit.

A former New Zealand Sevens squad member, Smiler switched his allegiances in 2011 to skipper the Australian side at the Oceania Championships in Samoa.

Having cut his teeth in Waikato’s aged grade ranks, Smiler moved to Australia looking for greater opportunities.

He flourished under the coaching of Scott Fava at Northern Suburbs in Sydney's Shute Shield, running the side like clockwork alongside fellow Brumbies Zack Holmes and Scott Sio.

At 27 years of age, Smiler is looking to use the experience he has gained over the last decade of professional rugby to give him and edge over his opposition.
This from the Brumbies' site prior to 2013.

Watched a handful of his club games for Easts in the John i Dent Cup this year (Local Canberra Comp). Looked solid at 6 but hardly a stand out, also played 13 in a few games but was fairly average. Would surprise me if he gets a bench spot this year with the depth Brums have at 6, although could be a handy replacement with the ability to play in the backs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Smiler did alright in his super games last year .. I thought with a few chances he will make a great player..
Lord Laurie will get him firing :)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As long as he fixes the tackling technique that saw him cop a red card and a 6 week rest at the World Club 7's he'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.