• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Damn big loss, right before he was hitting his straps, i bet he would have had plenty of game time next year and pushed for wallabies selection.

I hope he stays in Aus and gets plenty of game time.

I have a feeling that might have been the issue. Always number 2 and waiting at the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Don't necessarily see AA having to swap to TH. Think Makin will make the starting side some time next year and with Benny A to come on around 55 to 60 minutes, that's still good cover on that side. AA remains first choice back up to Scott Sio on the LH side. Then comes F Sione and Mayhew to cover for injuries.

It is a pity that Lomax moved, and really sorry to see Ruan go too. Hope he gets a gig with one of the other Aus franchises. Will be excellent value.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
https://www.brumbies.com.au/2016/09/larkham-staying-brumbies/

Good news for the Brumbies. Odd that it took so long to decide/announce.

In what way is it good news for the Brumbies, apart from consistency? I can't see a lot of positives there - he has the team playing negatively, he projects a surly ref bashing image - that's not exactly promoting the game well. On the other hand, he did get them finishing top of the Oz conference, which given their line up is not exactly surprising.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Good news sorta.

So lets not wait as its one a one year deal and the Ballymore carpark is empty - Vern Cotter anyone? Timing would be right.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So no full time attack coach for the Wallabies? I'm disappointed in that part of the announcement

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One year deal?

I guess we'll be looking for a new head coach for 2018..,,

Or is he hedging his bets? It may depend on what happens with the Wallabies. If they start winning he would be a good backs coach, of they continue losing he can exit, or while the Wallabies dire performances continue, if he gets the Brumbies humming: a replacement HC?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
In what way is it good news for the Brumbies, apart from consistency? I can't see a lot of positives there - he has the team playing negatively, he projects a surly ref bashing image - that's not exactly promoting the game well. On the other hand, he did get them finishing top of the Oz conference, which given their line up is not exactly surprising.
Seriously.. His done good being the best team in oz. He bashed one ref .. and in the game we got screwed.. Id take him over ever over coach in oz super rugby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You all forget he won the oz conference this year.. maybe not pretty but he did.. lets see now we removed some of the team from last year lets see how we go..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You all forget he won the oz conference this year.. maybe not pretty but he did.. lets see now we removed some of the team from last year lets see how we go..

With a squad that many expected to challenge for the title, in the worst quality Australian conference for years, playing largely uninspired rugby.

Its good to see the positives though.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The reality is, there aren't many top level coaches available right now and the money in Europe in particular can not be matched here.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
On the money and opportunity side you're quite right, BJ, but where do the talented young Oz coaches start? Surely the Super bosses keep an eye out for the promising ones and slot them in as 2ICs where they can. A lot of them wander off os to sharpen their skills, as McGahan, Cheika, McKenzie, Fisher et al have done before returning.

I can't help thinking Larkham would've been better off developing his coaching skills away from the Brumbies. It's all too comfortable for Stephen in Canberra: Dad on the ACTRU setup, lauded local hero (with his name on the grandstand), never lived away home, etc., I get the feeling he's not being challenged. Just my opinion.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I think Larkham needs to improve. But we need to give developing coaches a chance to develop. A bit like at the Reds I am not at all convinced we have the best that was available in Stiles. The best Aussie? Probably. And we now need to give him time and support.

Larkham is dedicated. Lets hope he's learning. It might not seem enough, might not BE enough, but his results are the best of all Aus Super Rigby coaches right now. If we were to ditch a Super Rugby coach, this is not the right one.

Hold on for the ride Brumbies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With a squad that many expected to challenge for the title, in the worst quality Australian conference for years, playing largely uninspired rugby.

Its good to see the positives though.

Harsh. I'm not sure how fair though. Yes we all thought "this is the year for the Brumbies", but noone understood the impact of increased Kiwi games and a general demise across the whole of Aus rugby.

What you are talking about is a symptom of Australian Rugby as much as it is a symptom of Bernie Larkham.

In terms of his WB role, I'll stick to a thread that isnt Brumbies for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.