• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm happy with Bernie staying for another year. He's a growing coach whose hopefully learning from his mistakes in the past. The Brumbies looked very sluggish this year and hopefully they can get the strength and conditioning right. We look extremely promising at the opening the season and smashed the comp winners.

Bit harsh Reg. With all the crap going on behind the scenes i can't imagine Canberra is an easy place to stay focused. Just how deep this stuff goes is unknown. The hope is Bernie being away with the Wallabies gives him some perspective and ideas for 2017.

BD75

Frank Row (1)
Pulver once again has shown he is a weak leader - he needs to step up to the plate here and get things in order. How can he allow Larkham to use the Wallabies and Brumbies as pieces in his personal game of career chess and hedge his bets like this - keeping both the Brumbies AND Wallabies in limbo while he decides whats best for him? How can you recruit players, excite fans, attract sponsors, develop long term succession plans and strategies in an organisation when the coach only commits to 1 year and is saying I might be here, I might not, how do you get commitment from staff? How can the much heralded Wallabies attack coach, who has massively underwhelmed and underachieved be allowed to continue as a part timer after reducing the Wallabies attack to a shambles at best and say I will sort of commit to both then decide down the track what's best for me and I will let you know?
I agree Lindommer - it seems nepotism is alive and well at the Brumbies which started when he was parachuted into a coaching role to begin with while daddy was President and Pulver is still dancing to Cheika's tunes ever since he gave him the keys to the castle and had to accept all his demands when he appointed him on the spot after Mckenzies downfall. This started with his wish to coach the Waratahs and the Wallabies which in my opinion put paid to the Tahs Super title winning aspirations that year. Pulver really needed to make a strong stance here and insist Larkham put his gonads on the table and actually commit to one or the other (and Im not saying he deserves to do either) I feel this will do nothing for both organisations and in a critical time where we need to see the Wallabies and ARU make some tough calls, be proactive, steady the ship and give people some hope that the Wallabies have learnt from their mistakes - he again shows he is a poor leader and all too readily gets bent over by Cheika. As mentioned in other posts, the coaching cupboard is not so bare for both jobs that Larkham should be allowed to covet both and really commit to neither.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes Larkham played uninspiring rugby, lacked spark on attack. But he is growing and hopefully learning... remember this is only his 2nd year as coach.

He's done a shit load better then Richard Graham who inherited a similar level of team.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he improves. In the mean time he is still winning the Aus conference.

Another year is good for all parties I believe. If it's another year of the same then start looking elsewhere, if he improves then that's great for the Brumbies and even better for the wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes Larkham played uninspiring rugby, lacked spark on attack. But he is growing and hopefully learning. remember this is only his 2nd year as coach.

He's done a shit load better then Richard Graham who inherited a similar level of team.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he improves. In the mean time he is still winning the Aus conference.

Another year is good for all parties I believe. If it's another year of the same then start looking elsewhere, if he improves then that's great for the Brumbies and even better for the wallabies.

A "like" did not seem enough. Lets see where the Brumbies can take this bloke. Former great. Future great to be proven but very very possible.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pulver once again has shown he is a weak leader - he needs to step up to the plate here and get things in order. How can he allow Larkham to use the Wallabies and Brumbies as pieces in his personal game of career chess and hedge his bets like this - keeping both the Brumbies AND Wallabies in limbo while he decides whats best for him? How can you recruit players, excite fans, attract sponsors, develop long term succession plans and strategies in an organisation when the coach only commits to 1 year and is saying I might be here, I might not, how do you get commitment from staff? How can the much heralded Wallabies attack coach, who has massively underwhelmed and underachieved be allowed to continue as a part timer after reducing the Wallabies attack to a shambles at best and say I will sort of commit to both then decide down the track what's best for me and I will let you know?
I agree Lindommer - it seems nepotism is alive and well at the Brumbies which started when he was parachuted into a coaching role to begin with while daddy was President and Pulver is still dancing to Cheika's tunes ever since he gave him the keys to the castle and had to accept all his demands when he appointed him on the spot after Mckenzies downfall. This started with his wish to coach the Waratahs and the Wallabies which in my opinion put paid to the Tahs Super title winning aspirations that year. Pulver really needed to make a strong stance here and insist Larkham put his gonads on the table and actually commit to one or the other (and Im not saying he deserves to do either) I feel this will do nothing for both organisations and in a critical time where we need to see the Wallabies and ARU make some tough calls, be proactive, steady the ship and give people some hope that the Wallabies have learnt from their mistakes - he again shows he is a poor leader and all too readily gets bent over by Cheika. As mentioned in other posts, the coaching cupboard is not so bare for both jobs that Larkham should be allowed to covet both and really commit to neither.

This rant makes it seem like Pulver had a choice, there was a better candidate than Cheika and that Larkham did otherwise than reluctantly and belatedly step in to help out the Wallabies.
One thing is for sure given the way he played and the way the defence is going at Wallaby level the last thing we need is Grey in charge of the backs.
As with the players i don't see a lot of alternatives knocking the door down. I guess we could appoint Foley or Graham.......
Larkham has his hands on the wheel in Brumbie land and is helping out Oz rugby. Pretty clearly he is the anointed next Wallaby coach which has to be a player magnet in itself - particularly if he leverages it the way Cheika does with the Randwick connection.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Larkham is not up to it yet, anyone who thinks that is mad or retarded.

I could have taken the squad we had this year to the final.

The mark of a good or at least competent coach is whether the team is performing above or below the sum of its parts, and we're so far below what this team should have been performing at, for the past three years, that it's embarassing.

There's no excuse for the lack of cohesion, direction and technique.

CarnTheBrumbies

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any other rumours of signings? Still believe we need a back rower, 10 and 15 to replace Toua!
I'm looking at Rowan Perry (yes even though they did sign Alcock) or maybe look at Higginbotham, and also bring back Lewis Holland from sevens to his hometown to fill at fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.