• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think Sione and Erasmus had a great 10s tournament - bit more mobile and abrassive one on one. Big lads who can accelerate into conntact and swing their arms around

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dutton reporting that McKellar hasn't settled on any combinations yet. Suspect the biggest ones are locks, backrow, and centres.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO.........

The 3 Wallabies will likely be the locks most featured in the 23.

As co-captain Carter would have to be a certain starter, with Rory Arnold most likely to partner him..........

Enever for the bench with the occasional start, and Richie Arnold rotating into the squad at times.

For the backrow......... I'm adamant that on merit it should be:

6. Valetini
7. Cusack
8. Naisarani

Naisarani is probably the only locked in starter so far, but with Pocock injured Cusack is really the only other player with reasonable experience at 7, and he tore it up there in the NRC.

Some people have mentioned McCaffrey but he's a solid journeyman at best, so should be on the bench......... and Lolo is a passenger in the squad.

As for the centres, obviously Kuridrani has a lock on 13........ I expect Godwin to be given first crack at 12, but he's hardly an inspired choice.

I feel that Dargaville, despite his lack of playmaking ability could provide better attack, as could Andrew Smith...........

JJH does possess the required playmaking/ball running skills but for his size would be a defensive liability at this level - Robbie Coleman 2.0.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty much agree with all you've said Slim, but have to say I was impressed with McCaffrey's involvements v the Rebels. Can't say I saw him make a turnover, but his play in the open was impressive. Neither Cusack nor McCaffery will let the side down until Pocock returns.

On the subject of Pocock, I have a feeling he could be devastating at the breakdown this year despite the new laws. All of Arnold, Valetini and Naisarani have been hitting hard in defense and winning the contact. If Poey just follows them into the breakdown, I'm thinking there will be plenty of opportunities for a steal.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Team named for Chiefs trial......... mostly as expected:

TEAM

Scott SIO
Josh MANN-REA
Allan Ala'alatoa
Rory ARNOLD
Sam CARTER
Rob VALETINI
Lachlan MCCAFFREY
Isi NAISARANI
Joe POWELL
Christian LEALIIFANO (c)
Chance PENI
Kyle GODWIN
Tevita KURIDRANI
Henry SPEIGHT
Tom BANKS

REPLACEMENTS

Robbie ABEL
Ben ALEXANDER
Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
Blake ENEVER
Richie ARNOLD
Tom CUSACK
Lolo FAKAOSILEA
Matt LUCAS
Wharenui HAWERA
Lausii TALIAULI
Andrew SMITH
James DARGAVILLE
Andrew MUIRHEAD

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
https://www.brumbies.com.au/2018/02/plus500-brumbies-name-team-face-chiefs-trial/

Brumbies team for the trial match v the Chiefs has been announced. McCaffery appears to have won the first battle to sub for Pocock during his injury holiday. Not a surprise after his strong performance against the Rebels.

A very large bench which will see probably all the main squad get game time. Missing from the 10s are McInerny, Lonergan, Verity-Am, Erasmus, Allen, Sione and JJH; maybe one or two others. Surprised Sione isn't getting a run.
Still no sign of Ben Hyne? Injured?

I thought both Verity-Am and Erasmus looked really good in the 10's, I'm surprised they didn't get bench spots. Verity-Am played much better than Newsome did for the Tahs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jeez we're a passionate bunch.

Valetini sounds crocked properly, any word?
Seems that but havent heard much watched the game didn't see him go down..

Hopefully not as bad as first thought McCaffery did give good balance to the backrow

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Brumbies have just announced a reciprocal deal with the Raiders for their members.
If both teams have home games on the same weekend the members get free entry into the other codes game.
Pretty sweet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brumbies have just announced a reciprocal deal with the Raiders for their members.
If both teams have home games on the same weekend the members get free entry into the other codes game.
Pretty sweet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do they assign seats guessing for the members they get their seat at there game.. It's a great idea to work with them instead of against them specially in Canberra

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It might not be a guarenteed success, but we've seen the positive impact it had when the Knights and the Jets had their friendly period in Newcastle, and, likewise, the Titans and the Suns on the Gold Coast. The best news, though, is that this is a sign of a friendlier, more diplomatic boardroom than we saw in 2015 and 2016.

Fantastic news.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It might not be a guarenteed success, but we've seen the positive impact it had when the Knights and the Jets had their friendly period in Newcastle, and, likewise, the Titans and the Suns on the Gold Coast. The best news, though, is that this is a sign of a friendlier, more diplomatic boardroom than we saw in 2015 and 2016.

Fantastic news.

It will be tough for the Brumbies board to sell this as they try to cover off (and fend off the obvious criticism) that the Brumbies first home game is scheduled at the same time as one of Canberra's biggest annual events; Skyfire! Final weekend of the balloon spectacular which closes off 3 weekends in a row of events including Enlighten.

Compounding the issue is its against the Sharks which never draws a good crowd then in to a bye week.

Sadly, the "sign of a friendlier, more diplomatic boardroom" maybe more likely one of desperation and necessity trying to get supporters back.

We can only hope the on field performances are both entertaining and get the results as its the best hope at bring back the supporters.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It will be tough for the Brumbies board to sell this as they try to cover off (and fend off the obvious criticism) that the Brumbies first home game is scheduled at the same time as one of Canberra's biggest annual events; Skyfire! Final weekend of the balloon spectacular which closes off 3 weekends in a row of events including Enlighten.

Compounding the issue is its against the Sharks which never draws a good crowd then in to a bye week.

Sadly, the "sign of a friendlier, more diplomatic boardroom" maybe more likely one of desperation and necessity trying to get supporters back.

We can only hope the on field performances are both entertaining and get the results as its the best hope at bring back the supporters.

I never blame the Brumbies for scheduling (remember the 6pm Friday QF?). That it lines up with Skyfire could go either way; people are more likely to be out of the house could mean they are more likely to go to the local sporting events, or it could mean that the people who are willing to leave their homes are more likely to be somewhere else. It's never the same and we'll see how it goes.

Agreed on the motivation being the desperate need to win fans back. But I don't care that much about their motivation if it's a good thing for us, and maybe the rewards of prioritising fan engagement will mean they stick with it. Or maybe I'm being a tad cynical and they actually do just care about being a better board. Either way, I'm happy with the result as it stands.

And you're 100% right that it's down to results on the field. Hopefully we're coming into the game with three wins to build that hype.

Interesting that the haven't also promoted the 1st Home SuperW game which kicks off at about 5pm.

Maybe they'll be promoting it closer to the date? But I agree that it's strange.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well I said when McKellar was appointed he was the wrong choice but would give him some rope so he could prove the point. Job done.

I said in the top 5 a few weeks ago that he is the coach with no excuse having a huge compliment of assistants to support him. I also predicted he is the coach most likely to select himself out of a job.

Two weeks and two horrific performances.

IMHO experiment is over; McKellar need to go now! Hewat needs to be put on notice. Our back line were clueless at times.

I think its time for the Brumbies board to man up. The Brumbies need to perform or will will be on very thin ice for the future. We cant wait and experiment. We need a change now.

Also time to make some tough decision about our roster. Sentiments need to be put to one side.

T

TOCC

I criticised Hewats appointment months ago when it was announced, can’t remember who, but the decision was defended...

Personally I think the justification for the criticism is now evident.. the backs for all their talent look rather pedestrian, other then individual flair there was no real point their attacking structure and never really looked threatening.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.