• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They pick up Hunt or Kerevi I reckon for sure Brumbies conference favourites. Particularly believe Hunt would be good bench option given positions can cover. Brumbies or Force only sides could see in the hunt for Hunt.....pardon the pun....

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Way too soon to be making calls on favourites. Unless we recruit well, we're one or two injuries away from club rugby players starting in the front row and inside centre.
On paper the Brumbies currently look to be the best side in the Aus conference even if their supporters would prefer to claim underdog status.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On paper the Brumbies currently look to be the best side in the Aus conference even if their supporters would prefer to claim underdog status.

I disagree. They have a great forward pack but their inside backs are a huge weakness. They need a big turnaround at 10 and 12 next season to make the backline a consistent threat.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I disagree. They have a great forward pack but their inside backs are a huge weakness. They need a big turnaround at 10 and 12 next season to make the backline a consistent threat.
Their backs were arguably worse this year and they were probably the best team in the conference immediately before and then after the June series. I can see that they lack creativity in the inside backs but you can get away with weaknesses in Super Rugby as the Tahs did this year provided you have a solid game plan.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sort of ripped the Tahs apart in that last game BH. But seriously, they have been trying to take a different approach to playing the game from the past many years, and it didn't start to gel until the last part of the season. Last six games earned four wins, two over top 4 sides, and two close things to other quarter/semi finalist sides. I agree that they will need to bolster the No 12 spot with Godwin leaving (though again he only showed form in that latter part of the season) and perhaps better backup at the 10 spot, though Hawera isn't quite the flake that many on here seem to think.

Not yet saying they are favourites, just that they were the best performing Aussie side at the end of 2018, and will be a real threat in 2019.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sort of ripped the Tahs apart in that last game BH. But seriously, they have been trying to take a different approach to playing the game from the past many years, and it didn't start to gel until the last part of the season. Last six games earned four wins, two over top 4 sides, and two close things to other quarter/semi finalist sides. I agree that they will need to bolster the No 12 spot with Godwin leaving (though again he only showed form in that latter part of the season) and perhaps better backup at the 10 spot, though Hawera isn't quite the flake that many on here seem to think.

Not yet saying they are favourites, just that they were the best performing Aussie side at the end of 2018, and will be a real threat in 2019.

No doubt they were outstanding against the Tahs, but one game doesn't make a season. Nor does end of season form carry over to the start of the next season.

Anyway, my only point is I don't think the recruitment of Toni Pulu makes any team conference favourites for next season.

If they do recruit Kerevi at 12 it will make a substantial difference.

If Leali'ifano is 10 again next season he needs to play better. On the whole he was probably one of the poorest across the competition and it is a position where you can't afford that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Indeed..........

The Brumbies end of season run was definitely helped by improved performances from the likes of Lilo, and especially Godwin and Kuridrani.............

The form of their bench was also significantly better, as they were previously dropping a lot of matches in the last 20 mins.

There are a few players who contributed to those late season performances who are either leaving, or may be demoted to the fringes of the squad with some new signings coming in......... so it will be interesting to see if they can continue with that momentum next year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There are good three things that this season tells us about next season:
  1. Our forward pack is class;
  2. We are able to play with flair when the players buy into it, and;
  3. The players are willing to buy into it.
Apart from that, it's all speculation. I have high hopes for a Lucas(I know it will be Powell but still)-Lealiifano-Simone inside backs set-up, but who knows, it could be a disaster. Let's hope Damien Hill does his job well.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
26ed49c83af1f74176362f620124fc77.jpg