• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Frost will need a year or two imo to reach Super standard. Where's Blake Enever?

Reds fans don't seem to rate Blythe. Is he available?

Eh?

Love Blythe's cheeky grin no matter what happens seems to genuinely enjoy his rugby. An Asset wherever he goes and welcome at the Reds. It is a busy roster though especially in the second row.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wrong use of the phrase. Reds fans certainly do rate him, but the majority have him behind Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hockings. May be pushing to get game time if the U20s backrow come good at this level. I have always, and still, rate Blythe a better lock than Hockings and would be extremely happy to see him at the Brumbies if he isn't getting opportunities at the Reds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wrong use of the phrase. Reds fans certainly do rate him, but the majority have him behind Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hockings. May be pushing to get game time if the U20s backrow come good at this level. I have always, and still, rate Blythe a better lock than Hockings and would be extremely happy to see him at the Brumbies if he isn't getting opportunities at the Reds.

I tend to agree with your assessment. Detail your if he isn’t so rated at the Reds then the Brumbies should make him a good home. You’d have my blessing anyway.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So, of the players on our books this year who aren't confirmed for next year and we're farewelled last night, which would you keep and which would you let loose?

• Vunipola Fifita - Keep, he's a talented prospect who can play both sides of the scrum.
  • Pete Samu - Keep, his versatility and just sheer ability make him a top rate Super backrower and probably a good test backrower to boot. Edit: I trust Slim that he's signed for 2020.
  • Irae Simone - Keep, he's filled the hole we've had at 12 since To'omua left and then some, I'm very impressed and want to see him reach his potential here.
  • Andy Muirhead - Keep, he's not only a great defensive winger with good pace and a big boot, but he can cover fullback in a pinch at Super level.
  • Lausii Taliauli - Not sure. He's only played 2 games for us this year, and we've ended up picking Wright on the wing ahead of him despite inital reports suggesting that the coaching staff didn't even consider Wright a chance of getting a jersey this year. I rate him as on par with 2014 Joe Tomane and, while Tomane still had to make a jump to reach that form we saw in 2015-16, I can see Taliauli hitting the same highs. However, if he's just going to languish in the extended squad, it's harsh on the guy and we should consider letting him go somewhere else if he wants to.
  • Mack Hansen - Not sure. 4 minutes off the bench in a game we had already won isn't much of a resume over two years. I get the whole "have to let youth develop" approach, but only four players had less game time than Hansen this season: Noah Lolesio, Bayley Kuenzle, Angus Wagner, and Maile Ngauamo. The latter two will almost certainly not be with the team next year, the former are both literally under 20. When the coaches are saying they're happy to start Ikitau and Swain, and that they'd prefer to use Chance Peni for two games despite his ability to decapitate players, it doesn't look good. But trust the system.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Sio 2. Fainga'a 2. Ala'alatoa
4. Swain 5. Enever
6. Valetini 8. Mccaffrey 7. Cusack (7s)/Samu
9. Powell 10. Hansen 11. Pulu 12. Simone 13. Tk 14. Wright 15. Banks
16. Mcinnerney 17. Slipper 18. ? 19. Frost 20. Miller/Brown 21. Lonergan 22.? 23. Muirhead

Locks and playmakers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
22 Len Ikitau.

Not sure about Hansen at 10. I think it was BJ recently who posted 10 would likely be Bayley Keunzel.

Simone is developing quite nicely as a playmaker. One of the reasons the Brumbies have been scoring tries through their backline this year. I agree, the Locks look a bit thin on the ground atm.

Rugby Supporter 14

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Brumby Runner,
From Rugby.com

12. Noah Lolesio, 19, Tuggeranong Vikings

scw_8906_noah_lolesio.jpg
Junior Wallabies centre Noah Lolesio. Photo: Stu Walmsley/RUGBY.com.au
Went to Canberra after finishing school on the Gold Coast and strong club form saw him win a development contract with the Brumbies. The 2017 Aussie schoolboy also played NRC for the Vikings in 2018.

Lolesio recently got a contract extension and upgrade into the Brumbies full-time squad and is one of the front runners to replace Christian Lealiifano at the Brumbies.
I would prefer Noah at the Mighty Reds, if you guys don't want him, we will be happy to have him back....I hear Brad Thorn and his committee are chasing him very hard at the moment...

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Hansen and Kuenzle are both very talented prospects, but I think Lolesio looks to have the mentality most likely to suit stepping up to the regular starting role next season. I've been enthused by Fisher's comments re: trusting the systems and relying on the local and academy talent. Bringing in good, established players has never seemed to work for the Brumbies so I hope they stick to this edict.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
RA losing Arnold AND Coleman is a disaster. Brumbies losing Arnold AND Carter equally so. I'm sure the Brumbies would have happily replaced Carter with Frost, with the difference in $ going to keep Arnold

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't think Frost will get much time on the field next year. His defense was very questionable in the U20s games he played.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The words I'm hearing (which knew about Speight weeks in advance but got the QF teamsheet pretty badly wrong two days early so accuracy is not established) are that Swain and Douglas are penciled in as the starting locks for next year, with Frost considered the first choice replacement.

Which sucks for Enever, who I feel has never really put a foot wrong for us.