• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2021

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sio missed the trial with 1a tight back while Samu suffered a shoulder injury.

Tom Wright out for about 6 weeks, while Simone, Kuenzle and Kata are recovering from injuries.

Assuming none of them are fit for Perth, I expect the team against the Force to look something like this:

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Swain, Neville, Cusack, Brown, Valetini, White, Lolesio, Muirhead, Pasitoa, Ikitau, Hansen, Banks.

McInerny, Lloyd, Ross, Frost, Hooper, Lonergan, Tapine, Fines.

Some make-do on the bench. Tapine looked good in the trial while I thought Isaac Fines was very comfortable on the wing in the second half of the game. Certainly would be better with any or all of the minor injured players available to play. I thought Simone and Wright were most missed in the trial.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree on the centre combination if Simone is not available and will be a great test for Pasitoa-Ikitau up against any two of the highly experienced amd powerful Godwin-Kahui-Kuridrani combo. Will be exciting to watch!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not sure on Kata but after Hansen's game on Saturday, Kata would be working very hard to get back in.
Wright is out of a knee brace and walking ok but probably a few weeks off too. Same goes for him with Hansen.

The Brumbies have done a good job rotating their wings recently, which is usually one area of good depth.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure on Kata but after Hansen's game on Saturday, Kata would be working very hard to get back in.
Wright is out of a knee brace and walking ok but probably a few weeks off too. Same goes for him with Hansen.

The Brumbies have done a good job rotating their wings recently, which is usually one area of good depth.

Agree I think they both should come back via the bench, as Hansen's done the job, but Kata and I think Wright offer more, wouldnt mind Wright coming back by the bench and coming on at Fullback, to add depth there.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why not Hansen to fullback where he plays club rugby? Then our Wallaby winger can play in his best spot too.

Thats another option, I just think Wright is a better player then Hansen. But either way we should be building that back up for Banks from one of them..

and i think Wright could be a great fullback got all the skill

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hansen played fullback last year when Banks was injured, but I doubt Banks will be benched unless he has a major form drop.........

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I want to see Wright given a run at 12 too - but the season probably isn't long enough to screw around for the sake of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No way Id bench Banks, but 20 mins at the end of the game. So we have someone who can fill in when / if he gets injured, that be good.

Sorry Tom, I don't see your problem at 15. As Slim pointed out, Hansen played 15 last year, he plays 15 for Gungahlin, and he is match ready. He is the standout replacement if Banks goes down so long as two of Kata, Muirhead and Wright are available for the wing spots. Andy Muirhead is not a bad No 15 either, so I think there is extra good cover at fullback.

If Kata and Wright are still out and two of the back three go down, we'll probably then be into the less experienced, younger options but both of Tupou and Tapine showed good form in the trial match. Fines obviously would be first pick in those circumstances.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hansen wasn't as stable as Banks under the high ball last year from memory, but his counter attacking - wowsers.........

Him, Wright and Muirhead with a bit of space to move is dangerous.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
After those first two rounds, there's no doubt McKellar is the best coach in Australia right now.

I think the sooner he becomes Wallabies coach the better.

Rennie is really just a caretaker coach for the Wobbs & is merely a stop-gap measure for the meantime.

I truly believe McKellar is a far superior coach to Rennie (who didn't achieve anything at the Chiefs without Wayne Smith) and as an Australian deserves to coach the Wallabies sooner rather than later.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
After those first two rounds, there's no doubt McKellar is the best coach in Australia right now.

I think the sooner he becomes Wallabies coach the better.

Rennie is really just a caretaker coach for the Wobbs & is merely a stop-gap measure for the meantime.

I truly believe McKellar is a far superior coach to Rennie (who didn't achieve anything at the Chiefs without Wayne Smith) and as an Australian deserves to coach the Wallabies sooner rather than later.

No. Even if he is a better coach i think there is a reasonable argument that the Wallabies interests are best served by spreading our coaching and development talent to the franchises.

I would rather have McKellar at the Brumbies and Rennie at the Wallabies than a greenhorn at the Brumbies and Rennie off somewhere else. A very minor gain for the Wallabies (highly debatable) but a net loss in rugby brains (something we are dramatically short in) for rugby in Aus over all.

Waratahs aside i think the franchises all have solid coaches and this can only be a good thing for player development.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thats another option, I just think Wright is a better player then Hansen. But either way we should be building that back up for Banks from one of them..

and i think Wright could be a great fullback got all the skill
I think Hansen needs to consider a move next season as super rugby ready but hard to get regular game time unless injuries. With Rob Kearney force fullback going to say the force or indeed the rebels would not be a bad option for him

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies strength, like the Crusaders, is that when a player goes down, through injury or loss of form, there is another Super Rugby player available to step in. ATM Hansen is one of those next-players ready and willing/able to go. He knows his time will come, and meanwhile he is making his mark at the Brumbies.

I don't know whether he will look for other opportunities, but imo he would need to be very sure that any other side would give him a better future that staying with the Brumbies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Eh? Rennie will have the same run at this as any coach, he was highboy valued getting here and we should not be letting him go quickly.