• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2022

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I was unsurprised but saddened when the CBR times reported that Tom Cusack was leaving the game to pursue other options. The usual post game conversations had turned to how his body was struggling to recover and he put it down to the may years of 7's.

This now provides a better insight and, although sad, its positive news; Rugby star played a season with cancer in his body
Tom Cusack has never spoken about why he suddenly ended his rugby career.

Story is behind the Daily telegraph paywall. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/37e7703fc964433c0139af2b7415c144

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know you think Hooper should be an inside centre instead of a 7, but having him move to the Brumbies to play second row is a bit of a stretch.
Hey KOB, here's our chance to see Hooper in action in the second row. Starting there tomorrow night against the Rebels. Recommend you have a look.

Will be an interesting match up with Canham who had an impressive debut for the Rebels last week.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hey KOB, here's our chance to see Hooper in action in the second row. Starting there tomorrow night against the Rebels. Recommend you have a look.

Will be an interesting match up with Canham who had an impressive debut for the Rebels last week.
Well called BR…Hooper a talent. Was thinking such a pity frost leaving as given his rate of development I still think he could have been a wallaby rwc bolter. But at least have now swain locked in and hooper showing such promise a potentially equally good pairing of swain and hooper next year. Btw is Neville still around…injured?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN Hooper is a different type of player to Frost but both are exceptionally effective in what they do. I think Frost is a super star in the making and should get plenty of RWC involvement in 2027 even if he misses next year.

Neville's contact expires this year I think. His experience will be crucial to the Brumbies over the next couple of years, even allowing for Swain in the side, so I hope he is re-signed quick smart.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like the Brumbies (including the Super W side) are set to get more funding from the territory:

Haven't seen any specifics yet, but the focus on the Super W side in the tweet seems like it's another step towards professionalism for the women. Hopefully it sees them at least match Force/Rebels commitments.
Well.. ACT Govt announced last week they were putting $millions behind a NRLW bid for Canberra, so it’s only fair rugby get a bit given there is already a team there.

ACT Govt support for sporting teams:
Raiders - $2.7million a year(5 year deal),
GWS AFL - $2.3million(10 year deal)
Brumbies - $1.78million(2 year deal)

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Facial fracture, no word on how long he's out for:
I agree.
Free kick = minor infraction collapsed scrum etc
Penalty = infraction. offside etc
Yellow card = 10 minute sin bin, repeated infringements etc.
Orange card = 20 minute sin bin must be replaced. Unintentional dangerous play.
Red card = sent off. intentional foul play

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Perhaps the orange card should also automatically attract the Reviewing Official's assessment allowing the on field refs to be a bit conservative with their sanctions.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Agreed, intention is one you do want to leave for post match scrutiny.

Terminology is key here so why not about forget the intentional / unintentional terms and move to a more simplified concept; call it , the fcukwittery scale if you want.

EG; so punching, hitting, cheap shots, leading with a shoulder, forearm to head, blatant neckroll (so all neck/head and nothing but neck/head), stomping, eye gouging. late hit or taking players out in a dangerous way (and I don't care how they land, its what how you could have potentially injured them - unlike the current rule that is akin to you stabbed a person, but you missed the vital organs so they survived so its ok to play on!) etc. all are a slam dunk regardless. Its foul play so you don't deserve to be on the field principle.

The moment "mitigation" enters the conversation, or its not clear cut, there are elements or factors and there is possible doubt, its orange and its dealt with after the game.

The other part I would like is foul play related high/ head clashes, blood, injury etc treated evenly. So, if a players takes out your #10, gets a card for it (yellow/ orange/red) with a high shot and the #10 has to go off for a head check then cant return it can turn a game. Yes, the infringing team might suffer through a yellow, orange period, even red, but it still may be a greater loss to the team losing a #10 or other similarly critical player. So if we could have equivalent time off field for his direct opposite it balances it out even for both teams.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think rugby’s rules are overly complicated already without introducing extra layers of offences and subjectiveness. I think the 20min red card was a good win which needs to be adopted by WR (World Rugby) before another card gets pushed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Banks red card overturned
I find it a perplexing decision but from a purely selfish Wallabies view I'm fine with it. Banks needs as much game time as possible and I want him to continue his good run of form. In saying that, is he injured for a while now?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I find it a perplexing decision but from a purely selfish Wallabies view I'm fine with it. Banks needs as much game time as possible and I want him to continue his good run of form. In saying that, is he injured for a while now?
I don't think his game time would've been effected either way, can't imagine Banks will be back within the 3-4 weeks he would've gotten.