• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Alex Ross (28)
Some thoughts on the match between the Brumbies and Waratahs development sides :

Conditions were just about perfect for rugby, around 17 degrees with a few passing showers; little wind.

Ground was in excellent condition. Quite a good crowd for a game of this nature.

In the best tradition, it was a game of two halves. Brumbies dominant in the first half while the Tahs finished on top. Final score I think was 21 - 19 to Brumbies; three tries each with one missed conversion on full time by the Tahs. May have been 28 - 26 with four tries each.

The game itself was at a pretty high standard with the Brumbies more focused on winning the battle in the middle and the Tahs using the width of the field. By agreement between the sides, time limits applied to scrums, lineouts and penalty kicks and conversions. No instances that I saw where a team forfeited possession due to tardiness.

Some notable performances. Debreczini was cool as a cucumber in the 10 spot, tackled hard and generally dictated play while he was on. Corey Toole scored a try from a well placed cross field kick by Debreczini, and had one electrifying run. Declan Meredith looked the goods at 15 and showed he has a good kicking game as well as being able to run the ball when an opportunity presented. Charlie Cale was impressive in his time at No 8. A tall and rangy player.

For the Tahs, I thought Jack Bowen was excellent at 10 and took control of the game after Debreczini left the field. Tahs certainly have some express speed on the wings too, wingers accounting for a couple of tries. The 13, Mosese Tuipolutu (?) was outstanding with straight, hard running and generally putting the Brumbies backline defence under pressure.

Otherwise, Brumbies had the stronger scrum, Tahs won the lineout battle and overall the two sides were evenly matched.
Thanks for the run down. I’m impressed the dev Tahs came so close. Looking forward to next season with a smidge more optimism each year with DC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Any news yet on the side to meet the Rebels this Thursday(?)

EDIT : Pollard, Scott, Ryan Lonergan and Creighton are all in Japan with Aus A and at least will need to be replaced. Jack Kearns finished against the Waratahs with a dislocated ankle, broken fibula and torn syndesmosis.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Any news yet on the side to meet the Rebels this Thursday(?)

EDIT : Pollard, Scott, Ryan Lonergan and Creighton are all in Japan with Aus A and at least will need to be replaced. Jack Kearns finished against the Waratahs with a dislocated ankle, broken fibula and torn syndesmosis.

Is the game thursday? dam it! I was going spend the week up on the murray & check it out

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Now to work out who replaces Harry Vella as 3 rd choice Loose Head Prop. Slipper may need resting after his heavy workload.
Whose the third choice halfback with Lachie Albert moving on?

You'd assume White would be put on ice for a portion of the season as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Well he was pplaying for Eastwood for the last few rounds/finals of Shute Shield and normally the Brumbies players stay in the Canberra comp so I'd say so.

Have they picked up one of the U20s or Aus 18s in that spot?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would be a loss if Albert has moved on. I think Seamus Smith from the local JID comp had time in the game against the Tahs development side, so he might be in the reckoning.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can see him ending up at the Rebels once the Brums hookers are back. They are a little light in hookers beyond the main 2. Grew up in Vic before getting an opportunity at Brums.
Mafi, Uelese, Rangi and Fourier seems like a decent hooker cohort in Melbourne.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Uelese forever has a * next to his name with fitness. He could very well just end up in Club land. Probably would have got a spot with the Tahs before Latu came back.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
pathways as strong as ever.

The ACT Brumbies are excited to announce the addition of 24-year-old centre Tamati Tua to the club’s 2023 Super Rugby Pacific squad.

Tua was a standout for Northland in this year’s National Provincial Competition (NPC) and joins the Brumbies having been part of the Blues squad in 2022.

A former Junior All Black, Tua will add to Stephen Larkham’s midfield stocks with Hudson Creighton, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Len Ikitau and Ollie Sapsford all returning from last season’s group.

ACT Brumbies centre, Tamati Tua said: “I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue rugby my journey and experience a fresh program with the ACT Brumbies.”

“The club is obviously very respected in Australia, but also in New Zealand and when the chance came to join them, I was just excited about how I could contribute and learn from the culture there.

“Preseason’s always tough but I’m fortunate to have these next few months to get to know the club and my teammates."

ACT Brumbies head coach, Stephen Larkham said: “We’re looking forward to having Tamati join the group.”

“Tamati’s a good young player and within our program, we believe he can make great strides along with our current group of centres.”

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
chip-on-your-shoulder-halloween-costume-xl.jpg