• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think his high ceiling was always recognized he just damaged his chances/public perception with a few silly decisions.
Canberra times reported that he'd been working a lot with a psychologist to get it out of his game this year. No doubt easier said than done but that and the additional leadership responsibilities seem to have worked for other players (Dylan Hartley for England, Toby Greene in AFL for GWS).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Swains is fine. We always want people to be aggressive, just tread the line a bit better. He's clearly talented and has been fantastic this year. He's still young, but since he came back instead of Frost, he really has turned the lineout around. He was brilliant on the weekend with two major steals and some maul destruction. He's more physical than Frost and just as good, if not better, in Mauls and lineouts, but not as fast across the pitch.

Froce have got a good'un good luck to him

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Frost is a real worry. He’s an excellent player. Should be our number one lock pick. What’s going on down there? Perhaps be needs a change of scenery too?

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
Frost is a real worry. He’s an excellent player. Should be our number one lock pick. What’s going on down there? Perhaps be needs a change of scenery too?
He is still showing all the positive traits we've seen previously (excellent defensive lineout jumper, huge workrate, incredible athlete), just insufficient improvements in his physicality. Not sure a change of scenery will improve that, his attitude doesn't seem to be an issue.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Can’t say many other franchises have a reputation for improving players the way the brumbies do. Are you suggesting he gets a change of scenery to accelerate his decline even further Reg? Insanity.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
such a shame when blind parochialism gets in the way of of whats best for the game in Australia
Where do you reckon he should go?

Also worth noting Scott's contact work has come on enormously so it's not a technical coaching issue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where do you reckon he should go?

Also worth noting Scott's contact work has come on enormously so it's not a technical coaching issue.

It may be a coaching issue though. Not all players are the same. They respond differently to difference coaches.

But Frost could also be struggling post RWC drama too. He carried a huge load.

It will be interesting to see what the Tahs coaching set up ends up being. Perhaps he’ll want to head home.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Frost will start again next year; Swain's having a great season, and Frost may have a little World Cup hangover but isn't playing that bad, just out proformed. Hooper can play multiple positions... I think the Dura game showed though that our scrum realise on Neville more then we think, AAA isn't back to the form he was in before injury at scrum and Kautai can lock down a scrum, even if his not dominate, he don't move backwards.

Hopefully, Hooper can become the THL to replace Neville, who ain't getting any younger, or that we have someone else coming through.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Losing Swain while really sucky we had 4 Wallabies (fringe) playing for 3 positions (one bench) bit of a luxury

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Charlie Cale with a high ankle injury from the Waratahs game. According to Larkham he is the only squad member now not available for selection, although I suspect Lachie Lonergan might be out a bit longer. Still, good news for the front row if Slipper, Pollard and Schoupp are all fit to go.

Have to say I've been a bit worried lately with Rob Valetini's form. Some games he looks to be coasting, not his usual dominating self. But the game on Saturday I think might have illustrated the problem. When he plays No 6, he looks a bit lost as though he's not sure of his role. Especially since Charlie Cale is performing some of the ball carries Rob has been doing in the past. Once Charlie left the field, Rob came into his own and really bossed the game from that moment on. There was real sting in both his carries and his defence. I reckon there will be a few Tahs players with very sore bodies this week following a contact with Rob in that second half. Charlie is an exceptional player and Rob is the premier backrower in the country but I wonder if their respective roles need to be sorted to allow them both to perform at their best?

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
Charlie Cale with a high ankle injury from the Waratahs game. According to Larkham he is the only squad member now not available for selection, although I suspect Lachie Lonergan might be out a bit longer. Still, good news for the front row if Slipper, Pollard and Schoupp are all fit to go.

Have to say I've been a bit worried lately with Rob Valetini's form. Some games he looks to be coasting, not his usual dominating self. But the game on Saturday I think might have illustrated the problem. When he plays No 6, he looks a bit lost as though he's not sure of his role. Especially since Charlie Cale is performing some of the ball carries Rob has been doing in the past. Once Charlie left the field, Rob came into his own and really bossed the game from that moment on. There was real sting in both his carries and his defence. I reckon there will be a few Tahs players with very sore bodies this week following a contact with Rob in that second half. Charlie is an exceptional player and Rob is the premier backrower in the country but I wonder if their respective roles need to be sorted to allow them both to perform at their best?
Is it that different to when Samu played 8?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Perhaps not, I'm not sure. Just trying to find a reasonable explanation for the quite large difference in Rob's game, not just this weekend, that was evidenced from the first half to the second.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Every chance Valetini needs a rest. He's durable but has been non stop for the Brums & Wallabies for years now.

Not saying they would or will but even if he feels fine I wonder if there's a bit of fatigue in body right now.

1715555243852.png

He starts and plays the 80 more often than not in the Backrow... Beast.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps not, I'm not sure. Just trying to find a reasonable explanation for the quite large difference in Rob's game, not just this weekend, that was evidenced from the first half to the second.
Maybe the coaches have him playing a different role in each half, hoping to be an explosive difference in the second half against tiring opposition (which seems to be what happened)

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
Maybe the coaches have him playing a different role in each half, hoping to be an explosive difference in the second half against tiring opposition (which seems to be what happened)
I actually didn't think his output in the first half was especially down. Swinton was just good enough to land a big shot on him front on, which you very rarely see happen. Pretty sure he was over the gainline regularly aside from that, including in the lead up to Cale's try, and made a crucial cover tackle off one of the Tah's (somewhat jammy) linebreaks.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dont think Rob's been down at all, his been one of our best most weeks, Blues the exception, but he was still pretty good there too. I think your looking for an issue that's not there..