• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v. Blues Rd 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty sure Blues and Brumbies were tied for 1st with 20 tries a pop going into this match so by your own logic maybe they didn't have so much to worry about :D

Nah, Blues were on 20........

Brumbies only on 17........

Blues had also scored 3 4-try bonus points in their 6 matches leading up to this game........

Brumbies have only scored a single 4-try bonus point this year, and 2 tries have been penalty tries from scrums........

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After sleeping on it (or rather the bed and thinking about it) I really thought the game showed the saying of a good team is usually better than a compilation of their parts (well I know it not right, but I may of just made up a new one), but I really believe the Brumbies as a team played so well to win that game. Ok I know young Hickey from the Blues played like 20yo 10 and had an off night,(still think he and 1 or 2 others worried about the wet field too much and thought kicking would help) as did one or 2 others, but I really think if you lined up both teams man for man you would favour the Blues, but one of the great pluses of our game is that 15 men all on the same page are always very hard to beat!!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
After sleeping on it (or rather the bed and thinking about it) I really thought the game showed the saying of a good team is usually better than a compilation of their parts (well I know it not right, but I may of just made up a new one), but I really believe the Brumbies as a team played so well to win that game. Ok I know young Hickey from the Blues played like 20yo 10 and had an off night,(still think he and 1 or 2 others worried about the wet field too much and thought kicking would help) as did one or 2 others, but I really think if you lined up both teams man for man you would favour the Blues, but one of the great pluses of our game is that 15 men all on the same page are always very hard to beat!!

The Brumbies do play as a team and last night showed they have a couple of different game plans to which they all contribute. First half played for field position and the second much more emphasis on running the ball. Bench players also contributed good.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would also point out last night the Brumbies showed exceptional discipline and control after they received their final warning near half time. Can't remember another penalty afterwards, but would be very surprised if there wasn't one or two. Enough to say that they didn't lose a player to the bin after the warning.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Brums for the win. A wins a win.

BUT what a fucking shit game from them. It was like watching an AFL game.

Their fans will leave in droves if they continue with the incessant kicking. Fuck I changed channels and watched Pawn Stars

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

notsureifserious.jpg

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Their fans will leave in droves if they continue with the incessant kicking. Fuck I changed channels and watched Pawn Stars

Lol did you see the weather, and attacking tactical kicking is good to watch. They scored tries pinned them down and dominated the game..

I like it better then trying to run it from every position. ..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I have seldom seen an Aussie team play better in wet conditions than the Brumbies did last night.

Sure, box kicks went out on the full, passes were spilled, and the odd bomb was dropped, one dangerously so, but overall it was a commanding performance in what should have been the natural habitat for a Kiwi team.

Instead, it was the Blues who looked like strangers in a strange land.

Part of that was their poor kicking: it was odd to see the brilliant runner Charles Piutau kicking so much—it was like watching a cow playing the violin. And the inexperienced halves were shown up for what they were: promising players learning their trade on the job.

The length of the Brumbies' kicks was astonishing for an Oz team, and it just wasn't one bloke with a bazooka. Mogg and White are well known for it but even To'omua was making the ball sail with little effort.

Yet it wasn't too long ago I was saying that he had a pop-gun boot.

It was good to see that good Rat, Pat McCabe, back in full flight; young Hickey will have a few footprints on him for a while, won't he? I wouldn't be surprised if Benji has the 10 jersey after the Blues have their break.

It may not have come to the attention of many, but how diligent is Joe Tomane chasing-every-single-kick?

I didn't think the Blues scrum was as dominant as the commentators said it was—maybe early on—but if you told me before the season started that JP Smith would put in a capable shift starting at tighthead prop in Super Rugby I would have laughed. Ruan would do a decent propping job, but JP the twin???

As for the Blues: I thought their forwards were good enough and the forbidding Jerome Kaino looked back to his best after his stint in Japan. Luke Braid was missed—as was Piri Weepu at scrumhalf: it was the kind of game he would have excelled in.

They didn't fire too many shots and were strangely passive before greeting the Brumbies' runners, except just after half-time.

The overriding impression I got was of a smart Brumbies team playing smart rugby in the conditions.

Well done those Ponies.

[PS - can somebody please tell Greg Clark that JP and Ruan Smith went to high school in Australia?]

Status
Not open for further replies.