• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Cheetahs Super Rugby R3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies' first afternoon game of the season.

School is back, and with UC's partnership with the Brumbies and cheap tickets available to students there is the potential to develop a good student following.

Especially with Canberra Stadium within walking distance of the UC ressies...

Anyways, Canberra has not been a happy place for the Cheetahs with them losing all 3 trips:

53 - 20
29 - 23
61 - 15

The Cheetahs have also come off a hammering from the Bulls while the Brumbies return from their bye with only Robbie Coleman a casualty from Round one.

Pat McCabe returns to the side and will most likely start on the wing as he eases himself back into fitness.

Now that the young Brumbies have tasted their first win we should hopefully see more attacking rugby.

Plenty of good young talent there to be showcased...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The Cheetahs pack is massive; however I'm not sure how fit or mobile... They got belted by the Bulls who put 50 on them... So they'll be bushed by the belting and from a long journey and hungry to pick up a win. Its good 2nd game for the Brumbies before visiting the Chiefs who were on firer last weekend against the Blues... It will be good to see MCabe on the back field in a Brumbies shirt...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tempting to ignore this game but it is very important for both sides. Yes, it has the potential to be about as exciting as Brums v Force (read not at all), but im going to be optimistic for now and hope they both throw it around. Not saying it will be as accurate or pretty as we've seen from a few sides this year, but if they both have a crack it could be entertaining.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This game could be anything, and to be honest I'm looking forward to it.

The Cheetahs are a pretty good side on paper but were woeful against the Bulls after being pretty good against the Lions. Their forward pack is pretty mobile and their inside backs are handy but they lack penetration out wide. Despite their poor record in Canberra they travelled bloody well last year apart from one flogging at the hands of the Reds. Underestimate them at your peril, just ask the Tahs.

On the other hand the Brumbies have had a week off and will be chomping at the bit to have a hitout. McCabe should add some starch to the backline, will be interesting to see if White persists with Vaea at 7 in the face of yet another world class fetcher in Brussouw.

I reckon it will be tight, but the Brumbies will take it late.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a good team for the young Brumbies to be playing this week...

Underestimate the Cheetahs and they're going to learn a very valuable lesson early in the season, while a win will boost their confidence going into round 4.

With all this young raw talent in the squad I really can't wait to see them throwing the ball around more, and I wasn't surprised that against the Force that they played a nervous territory game as they were desperate for that win.

A win this week should hopefully be the catalyst they need...

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Brumbies should be looking for a 4 try bonus point, the games only get harder from here. Interesting to note the Brumbies are the only team in the competition not starting a fetcher, even the SA teams all have a 100kg 183cm type player. Slow style kick and positional play, as used against the force will be just what the Cheetahs want. The bulls ran them around, spread them wide and then the opportunities came. I hope we do the same.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The Brumbies should be looking for a 4 try bonus point, the games only get harder from here. Interesting to note the Brumbies are the only team in the competition not starting a fetcher, even the SA teams all have a 100kg 183cm type player. Slow style kick and positional play, as used against the force will be just what the Cheetahs want. The bulls ran them around, spread them wide and then the opportunities came. I hope we do the same.

I guess the bulls showed their weaknesses which will help Whites game plan...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope Jake White stick to his guns and dont pick a fetcher. The Cheetahs have the best second row around if Juan Smith is fit. Cant understand why Naka plays Johnson from the bench, he should start with Brussouw. I expect a fight back from the boys from Osfontein, big time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A concerning factor for Brumbies' fans is that they generally don't come off well from a bye.

Granted, this is a different team...

A

AlexH

People are going to write the Cheetahs off based on the pointed the Bulls tallied up against them. If, however, you disregard the first try by Dean Greyling in which he clearly played the ball back, then decided to play the ball on the ground after releasing, then knocked it on over the line as well as the obstruction effort by Chilliboy Rallepell which resulted in Werner Kruger's try -- then the scoreline is a far more respectable 37-19. The Brumbies will need to put together an extremely disciplined effort unless they want Johan Goosen knocking penalties over from sixty meters out and will have to bring more than a high work-rate to the table if they want to hold out the Cheetahs. Cheetahs by ten for my money.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
People are going to write the Cheetahs off based on the pointed the Bulls tallied up against them. If, however, you disregard the first try by Dean Greyling in which he clearly played the ball back, then decided to play the ball on the ground after releasing, then knocked it on over the line as well as the obstruction effort by Chilliboy Rallepell which resulted in Werner Kruger's try -- then the scoreline is a far more respectable 37-19. The Brumbies will need to put together an extremely disciplined effort unless they want Johan Goosen knocking penalties over from sixty meters out and will have to bring more than a high work-rate to the table if they want to hold out the Cheetahs. Cheetahs by ten for my money.
I am not trying to take anything away from the Brutes who are in excellent form since their warm ups, Joubert had the worst day in office I ever seen from him. They got away with murder at the breakdowns and the Cheetahs were the ones getting penalies and could not string some phases all game. The Cheetahs have their back against the wall and surely have to patch up their defense if they want to have any chance. They are way better then that scoreline suggests and they missed Andries Strauss in 12. He is still cited for this match however.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Toyota Cheetahs for Brumbies
1 LOOSEHEAD PROP Coenie Oosthuizen
2 HOOKER Adriaan Strauss ( c )
3 TIGHTHEAD PROP WP Nel
4 LEFT LOCK George Earle
5 RIGHT LOCK Izak van der Westhuizen
6 LEFT FLANKER Heinrich Brussow
7 RIGHT FLANKER Philip van der Walt
8 NUMBER EIGHT Ashley Johnson
9 SCRUMHALF Tewis de Bruyn
10 FLYHALF Johan Goosen
11 LEFT WING Willie le Roux
12 INSIDE CENTRE Philip Snyman
13 OUTSIDE CENTRE Robert Ebersohn (vc)
14 RIGHT WING Cameron Jacobs
15 FULLBACK Hennie Daniller
REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE Trevor Nyakane
17. RESERVE Hercu Liebenberg
18. RESERVE Davon Raubenheimer
19. RESERVE Justin Downey
20. RESERVE Piet van Zyl
21. RESERVE Sias Ebersohn
22. RESERVE Ryno Benjamin

Coenie back and Ashley starting. Much better team.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be too quick to take the Cheetahs lightly. Does Sydney almost 12 months ago ring a bell? When the Cheetahs click they can mix it with the best. Just ask the Crusaders. They also play outside the square at times so they probably have some tricks up their sleeves. Big test for Vaea keeping Brussouw honest also.

This will be a very physical game me thinks.

B

bazzamacca

I think the Brumbies are a few injuries away from a calamitous season. They have an excellent but injury-prone FR; any chance of Palmer in a #3 Wallaby jersey? I know its too late to replay the Ireland RWC game, but how many times to we have to get bundled out of RWCs for poor scrummaging? I am still waiting for the ARU to refund my Marseille tickets. I digress.....

Locks are going to struggle - perhaps the lightest and least experienced in the comp. Hooper, the fetcher, seems to have been benched by the Safa - come home to NSW as McCutch is a typically overacheiving Joeys boy and Alcock doesn't shoot the lights out on the tackling bizzo. The Brumbies backline will be poor this season, lacking edge and penetration although Mogg looks a semi-interesting prospect. Some Oz U20's please Safa - cant we give the young PI dudes a run?

In short, I echo the sentiments above re selling short the Cheetahs. They are occasionally red-hot and barring jetlag will compete.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White was battling the flu last week but should hopefully be alright for this weekend...

If he does happen to be ruled out Vikings' halfback Beau Mokotupu will most likely be brought into the squad...

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
If you're going to the game on Saturday try to get there a little earlier to see the ACT Veterans take on the Navy Old Salts. We're kicking off at 1:30pm.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you're going to the game on Saturday try to get there a little earlier to see the ACT Veterans take on the Navy Old Salts. We're kicking off at 1:30pm.

Good luck, hope the weather gods smile on these golden oldies...what's the temperature forecast that day if it's not gunna rain? At least, the hotter it is, the beer afterwards is better...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Based on what I saw from the Brums pack in Round 1, I reckon that Cheetah pack will fancy themselves. This will be tight I reckon.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Power is out with a slight hamstring strain, and Ben Hand will move into the starting XV...

It's a shame because Power seems to offer a bit more physicality than Hand or Carter...

Status
Not open for further replies.