• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Cheetahs Super Rugby R3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks for giving us your point of view RH. I think the opinion of the head of Referees appointed by the IRB carries a little more weight than yours though.

This is what is technically known as the "argument from authority"; in this instance the claim being that someone by reason of their position is an expert and that therefore their opinion must necessarily carry " a little more weight" than someone judged to be non-expert.

Those of a sceptical or cynical predisposition discover quite early in life that among the ranks of the powerful there is at least as great a distribution of fools and incompetents as among the ranks of the unwashed. I am not making any judgement as to the competence of Lyndon Bray - my general position being that referees should be regarded as random decision generators - although I think that Paddy O'Brien helps to demonstrate my point.

Of course in years to come this particular classification might become known as the "argument from Matthew Burke".

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
This is what is technically known as the "argument from authority"; in this instance the claim being that someone by reason of their position is an expert and that therefore their opinion must necessarily carry " a little more weight" than someone judged to be non-expert.

Those of a sceptical or cynical predisposition discover quite early in life that among the ranks of the powerful there is at least as great a distribution of fools and incompetents as among the ranks of the unwashed. I am not making any judgement as to the competence of Lyndon Bray - my general position being that referees should be regarded as random decision generators - although I think that Paddy O'Brien helps to demonstrate my point.

Of course in years to come this particular classification might become known as the "argument from Matthew Burke".

Always a pleasure to see your insightful comments Bruce, thanks. At the end of the day though, Lyndon Bray is part of a team that assesses the performance of referees and their decisions and his opinion has more impact on the laws of the game and the application of those laws than anyone on this forum - I.e. his opinion carries more weight.

N

Newter

Complete utter rubbish. I dunno if it was the TV signal and the sound not in synch but the Brumbies hit before the engage call all match long and got away with it. The ref keep on picking the Cheetah fatties every single time they try to deal with the Brumbie early hit.

The Brumbies was farking lucky and good to see Brussouw dishing out the damage for Jake Whites fetcherless tactic. Hopefull we'll see an improved Cheetah effort this weekend. Goosen surely a classy player. Wont be long before he wear green and gold. Willie le Roux sure also a damaging running but the Cheetahs needs to play him in his right position of fullback or flyhalf. Thats the position he was damaging for Boland. Willem Strauss will be back and he will also make a differense on defense.

Willie le Roux was one of your best, probably the best on field - where did he go when it all mattered? The Cheetahs would be a good side if they were fit.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Willie le Roux was one of your best, probably the best on field - where did he go when it all mattered? The Cheetahs would be a good side if they were fit.

When a game is largely decided in the forward exchanges, and in particular in the scrums and scrum penalties, a winger doesn't tend to have much influence on the outcome Newter.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
To throw my five cents in, apart from the final scrum and the moving heads penalty the penalty which I thought was a complete farce was when the Cheetahs were penalised when a Brumbie player, lying on the ground used his legs to get the ball back to his side of the ruck. The Cheetahs were then penalised. Apalling penalty.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, but then I could go and cite a few breakdowns where the Brumbies were robbed...

It goes both ways...

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I agree Slim, it does go both ways, but to me it seemed that in the last 10 minutes of the game it went one way. But as others on the forum maintain you have to adjust to the ref on the day and the Cheetahs did not do that and paid the price.
It is just frustrating to see some laws disregarded at certain stages of the game only to be blown at other stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.