• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v. Crusaders - 2011R04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think this match will be much closer than some people are saying, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Brumbies manage an upset win.

Firstly, the Crusaders preparation is still not great. Their training ground is unavailable, as is their home ground AMI stadium. Players like SBW are still staying with friends, unable to return to their earthquake damaged homes. This change to routine is bound to have a negative impact on the players' performances.

Secondly, after last weeks emotional build up culminating in the Tahs match, I expect the Crusaders to be somewhat flat. I expect the players to be emotionally drained, and this may also have a negative impact on performance. Excessive emotion can have the temporary effect of lifting players, but in the longerterm it can also leave them feeling drained. I fear this may happen to the Crusaders this week.

Thirdly, lets not forget that this is a very high quality Brumbies team. There's 13 test capped Wallabies in this Brumbies squad, and that staggeringly high number clearly illustrates the depth that the boys from the ACT have in their team. Genuinely world class players such as Matt Giteaum, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) combine with a solid core of excellent established players, and rising stars such as Coleman, McCabe, Faigaa and Fainifo.

Lastly, historically clashes between these two teams have been very close, with wins evely shared. The head to head between the two teams is something like 10-8 to the Crusaders. The Brumbies have no fear of the Crusaders, and are one of the few teams in SANZAR that have consistently troubled the team from CHCH. Whilst the Brumbies recent record in NZ is not good, this match is not being played at fortress AMI, and the Brumbies continue to do very well against the Saders in Australia.

AC: Would you like to go back in time and amend your post?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm sick of watching someone with Chisholm's size apply zero velocity at rucks, running the ball or in a tackle. What a waste.

W

WB3

If I forget the fact that the Brumbies aren't my team and I dislike them so I don't care how they go I can put myself at ease over parts of that performance (Giteau's captaincy, terrible decisions, lack of composure and physicality etc).

What I can't stop worrying about is
1 That the incumbent Wallaby 13 was, IMO, comprehensively outplayed by a bloke battling to earn an AB's jersey at all in Fruen (though surely he must be giving the selectors considerable pause now).
2 Stephen Moore leaving the field - is he hurt? With a frail TPN we need him more than ever - there is a massive gulf after those two

A

amanda

I actually thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did better than previously, he made some good half breaks and most of his defence was good. I only saw half the first half, though.

Hard to see many positives from the game. I thought Gits ran a bit straighter, Lealiifano looked incisive when he came on but turned the ball over in contact repeatedly. I'd still prefer the backline the Brums finished with (since no matter what we say, Gits will retain the 10 jersey):

10. Gits, 11. Fainifo, 12. To'omua, 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14. McCabe, 15. Lealiifano

I think we need Christian and To'omua in there as they offer cool heads and incisiveness, with Coleman to learn the trade from the bench. McCabe can still chime in with his crazy crashballing on kick returns and can inject himself from the wing as appropriate.

The backrow should have been more effective. Or maybe the Brums need to implement their "systems" better - too many players getting isolated in attack.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Completely agree with WB3. The most worrying thing for me was seeing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) our incumbent 13 getting owned by a player who is fighting to even get into the ABs training squad.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think we are seeing the emergence of a genuine superstar. His power and speed are awesome.

I think the Saders games against the other NZ sides especially the Hurricanes may well determine the AB centre pairing for the 3N if not the RWC. Smith seemed a bit off the pace last year and Fruen may well just overtake him. Also SBW and Nonu.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we are seeing the emergence of a genuine superstar. His power and speed are awesome.

I was thinking the same about Rene Ranger, thats 2 emerging superstars that have the potential to be devastating 13s. We have Horne who is great but made of glass. Hate to sound like such a downer but after that game im heavily questioning the depth in the wallabies again. Actually im questioning whether the Abs B team could beat our Aus first 15.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s great upper body strength comes to naught up against Fruen. Could not fend him off.

SBW is going from strength to strength. He is really functioning well as a second 5, and makes some monstrous plays that just fracture the opposition.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s great upper body strength comes to naught up against Fruen. Could not fend him off.

SBW is going from strength to strength. He is really functioning well as a second 5, and makes some monstrous plays that just fracture the opposition.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) couldn't even beat him in the foot race. He had a 10 metre head start and Fruen had to turn and chase and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still got caught. Thats before we even need to talk about the inability to hold him off for five metres to fall over the line.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Saders games against the other NZ sides especially the Hurricanes may well determine the AB centre pairing for the 3N if not the RWC. Smith seemed a bit off the pace last year and Fruen may well just overtake him. Also SBW and Nonu.

It could be decided along the lines of combination. I would not be suprised to see both pairs rotated as a combination. The advantage for them is that both are equally comfortable outside Dan Carter. Scary stuff actually.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It could be decided along the lines of combination. I would not be suprised to see both pairs rotated as a combination. The advantage for them is that both are equally comfortable outside Dan Carter. Scary stuff actually.

Yes and here we are struggling to get one decent workable combination. The back-ups are a long way down the list. I had hopes for Chambers but he has a long long way to step up just to reach his form last year let alone match Fruen or Smith.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Sharks. Maybe the Stomers. The Blues. The Highlanders. Maybe the Bulls.

Basically a team with a game plan who can actually execute it AND who actually compete at the breakdown as a unit instead of relying on a single "fetcher" to do all the work.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Sharks. Maybe the Stomers. The Blues. The Highlanders. Maybe the Bulls.

Basically a team with a game plan who can actually execute it AND who actually compete at the breakdown as a unit instead of relying on a single "fetcher" to do all the work.

Crusaders play the Highlanders next week and the Sharks the week after, so we'll get a good line on those two. But right now I don't think so. For both teams it will be a bridge too far. Then they've got the bye to freshen up followed by the Bulls at home. I still think, despite the early season form, that Blues, Saders, Tahs, Bulls and Stormers are the only teams with a real chance this year and that the Crusaders would have to be favourites. They've got a really good draw too; of the other four teams I've mentioned they only play the Stormers away from hereon in.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I agree Hawko but the question was who could have played the Saders tonight and won. On form tonight, without the extra games or travel on the part of the Highlanders, I would rate those above to at least have an even chance for the reasons I gave. The Crusaders are not untouchable, the Brumbies did nothing at all to pressure them.

Charlemagne

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have just finished watching the match and the Crusaders deserved the win but the ref made some terrible decisions both ways sometimes I can agree with frustration of the players with consistency of the refs. Also am really happy that Valentine left the Force as I reckon he thinks he is better than he is?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
H'mmmm

Maybe the Brums new merch can just be those old joke shirts "don't follow me, i'm lost too!" with a Brumbies logo sewn on.

Or maybe "I'm their leader, which way did they go?" would be as appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.