• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v. Highlanders Super Rugby R9 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Can't blame the commentators for getting a bit biased with some of those decisions and the way the game went - i.e. nothing going their way. I'd rather they actually say what they think, even if it sounds biased, than bs us and try and say they agree with obviously wrong decisions.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
My take on the game:
Pollock was poor for both sides but it seemed the Brumbies adapted better after half time with his calls and interpretations. Some of the advantages given were very generous in some cases.

The Brumbies will need to address their giving away of penalties because it will cost them against better teams. It looked closer than it needed to be at the end but other aspects of their defence were outstanding.

George Smith MUST be involved with the Wallabies in 2013 in some capacity.

Not scoring a 4th try with plenty of time left was a bit disappointing but a win away, anywhere, is good.

In the commentary Justin Marshall said he'd spoken to Smith at the hotel today and he had confirmed that he was definitely not available for the Wallabies and was going to return to Japan as originally planned.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
In the commentary Justin Marshall said he'd spoken to Smith at the hotel today and he had confirmed that he was definitely not available for the Wallabies and was going to return to Japan as originally planned.

Why isn't there a button that express that you're pleased to get a post's content, but saddened by what it says?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

I cant hear you.jpg

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
does there actually have to be a third umpire?

The ref is on the field, HE knows exactly what he wants adjudicated, why can he not simply look at the screen (like everybody else) and adjudicate for himself? He asks for the replay, and and then decides. The third umpire is there mainly to provide him with the footage.

We saw an independent overturn of a previous decision when nonu was given a yellow. The ref himself saw it and decided to reverse a previous decision.

It may even speed things up, but even if not it is the same adjudicator (good or bad, but at least 'consistent') thruout the game.

No way was that NOT a try.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Why make this a country thing? Touchy?

I don't like all the SA comms at all but not one of them comes close to this guy.

I just think Nisbett is the most biased commentator in all of rugby. Never has a good thing to say about any opposition.

Touchy? Nah, not at all. I think all three countries commentators leave a LOT to be desired. I'd be happy just listening to a combination of Nathan Sharpe and Justin Marshall-both players that have been there and done that, yet are young enough to understand the evolving modern game, and comment accordingly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't blame the commentators for getting a bit biased with some of those decisions and the way the game went - i.e. nothing going their way. I'd rather they actually say what they think, even if it sounds biased, than bs us and try and say they agree with obviously wrong decisions.
I had just sat down to watch when a person i think was identified as "Will" called Tomane 5m in front of a return kick from Mogg - he went on about it so much, including suggesting that he might have a word with the AR, that despite it not being penalised they showed a replay. I then had to replay it myself because I was unable to see who he was talking about.
He was quite wrong.
Then Marshall called Gear's plant while on his back a certain try. Very unlike Marshall to get so dogmatic - even more unlike him to be so dogmatic and be wrong.
A curious night because I usually love the NZ commentators.
As the missus said they must be worried about the Brumbies.
George Smith was sublime.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like the Brumbies found their mojo again, definitely looking forward to watching this one. Sadly, the place where I normally source games from has really been dropping the ball for the past few rounds of Super Rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Brums - look back on track
good to see plenty of Brums in the 30 man squad.
at least some of the selections of the squad reflect performance not so with many of Tahs but what can we expect.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I had just sat down to watch when a person i think was identified as "Will" called Tomane 5m in front of a return kick from Mogg - he went on about it so much, including suggesting that he might have a word with the AR, that despite it not being penalised they showed a replay. I then had to replay it myself because I was unable to see who he was talking about.
He was quite wrong.

Willie Lose called Tomane 5m off side from a Mogg kick which actually came from Nic White and the replay showed him behind the kicker.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
brumbies solid in defense spearheaded by mowen. not a lot of adventure but pounced when it was on.

Was very disappointed that they were kicking for goals from 56m with an 18point lead and 20mins to play...bonus points are sacred in this comp!

mogg was quiet - there was a lot of kicking up in the air with no competitive chasing.

ps - how was gears try not given. I honestly thought he'd get benefit of the doubt there - i agreed with marshal thats he had the ball down to the grass.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
brumbies solid in defense spearheaded by mowen. not a lot of adventure but pounced when it was on.

Was very disappointed that they were kicking for goals from 56m with an 18point lead and 20mins to play.bonus points are sacred in this comp!

mogg was quiet - there was a lot of kicking up in the air with no competitive chasing.

ps - how was gears try not given. I honestly thought he'd get benefit of the doubt there - i agreed with marshal thats he had the ball down to the grass.
I think the problem was that by the time the ball touched the ground he was holding it by its side but it seemed to me likely that he "grounded" the ball in that he was holding it when it touched the ground. http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?section=9
My instinct (probably irrational) at the time was that it was not going to be awarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.