• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 1st April, GIO

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
ForkedCreamyIrishdraughthorse-size_restricted.gif
Who knew he was an All-Black fan, although shouldn't have bought the XL size fan-kit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well. i think that was a damn fine effort by the Tahs, no way near perfect, but solid defence again, hard in contact and created some nice stuff

The ponies were better on the night, but there wasn't a lot in it at a place where I thought they would be spanked

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Watching game again, one of Slipper’s tries was off a blatent forward pass from White. Thought Berry is only confirming for me that he is always looking for a penalty instead of a reason not to. Wayne Barnes from England is the best in my opinion. Has a great feel for the game and looks to let it flow.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Lindommer, have you seen the plans for the new stadium in Christchurch? It's an indoor stadium with a transparent roof but a nicer design than Forsyth-Barr Stadium in Dunedin. I'm trying to link to an image but the iPad won't do it. Will post a pic later when I get on the laptop.
This?
Low_DD_fieldofView__ResizedImageWzg1NSw0MDBd.jpg

Capacity: 30k

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Watching game again, one of Slipper’s tries was off a blatent forward pass from White. Thought Berry is only confirming for me that he is always looking for a penalty instead of a reason not to. Wayne Barnes from England is the best in my opinion. Has a great feel for the game and looks to let it flow.
Couple of Tah tries that looked to come off forward passes as well. It is what it is. Happens pretty much every game. It’s not what lost the game for the Tahs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Couple of Tah tries that looked to come off forward passes as well. It is what it is. Happens pretty much every game. It’s not what lost the game for the Tahs.
I reckon the one that was called as forward, was forward (out of the hands), and others on replay looked flat (travelled forward, as all passes do, unless the passer is static!). So I think Berry et al got those right.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
I've noticed a lot of "flat" (to be generous) passes being let go, except where they have resulted in a line break. I think that is reasonable given the desire to speed up play and favour the attacking team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon the one that was called as forward, was forward (out of the hands), and others on replay looked flat (travelled forward, as all passes do, unless the passer is static!). So I think Berry et al got those right.

That one from Lolesio was definitely forward. He never got his shoulders square enough to be able to pass it backwards.

The closest Tahs one was the pass from Jorgensen to Foketi but I thought that was fine. They were travelling at full pace and it wasn't a short pass. It's always going go in an arc and end up well in front of where it left the hands.

I thought the pass from Debreczeni for the late try on the left edge was pretty close to being forward. He wasn't really moving forward at speed but the pass ended up a couple of metres in front of where he passed it from.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Maul is the most Ludacris thing in any sport. It's obstruction that in that one random instance is somehow legal

There is no logical sense for it to be a legal play
What are your thoughts on scrums? When the ball is under the 8 it is obstructed by 7 players

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What are your thoughts on scrums? When the ball is under the 8 it is obstructed by 7 players
If you push a scrum back, and the back-pedalling pack loses the structure, you can get a penalty or even win the ball - i.e. it IS a contest; if you push a maul back, the ref calls "use it" and the team in possession plays it, so not so much contestable. Now if you can get your hands on the ball (pretty difficult with how most mauls are set) you might "win it" by stopping it coming out. Plus, mauls can keep adding people!

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
That one from Lolesio was definitely forward. He never got his shoulders square enough to be able to pass it backwards.

The closest Tahs one was the pass from Jorgensen to Foketi but I thought that was fine. They were travelling at full pace and it wasn't a short pass. It's always going go in an arc and end up well in front of where it left the hands.

I thought the pass from Debreczeni for the late try on the left edge was pretty close to being forward. He wasn't really moving forward at speed but the pass ended up a couple of metres in front of where he passed it from.
of course you have these opinions on the 3 passes you mention.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
of course you have these opinions on the 3 passes you mention.

Does your view differ?

Which NSW try or tries do you think were scored off forward passes?

Do you think the Lolesio one wasn't forward?

As I said, I thought the Debreczeni pass was close. I certainly wouldn't have called it live but could also see that if it was asked to be checked and the TMO looked at it a bunch of times it could have gone either way. It was very flat.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I sat up the other end from this try, and my Brumby-loving mate called it forward. FROM 75 METRES AND 45 DEGREES!

I wonder if missing this (blatant) forward pass prompted the officials to closely look at 3 or 4 other tries which might've been from forward passes. There were an awful lot of reviews for FPs, but the one definite forward pass try stood.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
White to Slipper for one of his tries was blatantly forward if you are talking forward passes.

I just watched it again and I think it is alright. It's pretty flat but I don't think you can say it left his hands forward or that Slipper really received the ball in front of White.