• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 27th Feb, Canberra

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yep, and they have units within the production line and that production only has to produce one or maybe two a year

And then the Tahs lost two gun lineout locks and best 7 in the country. And the reality is that any side will struggle to replace three starting wallaby forwards in one hit

But they knew it was happening. It's not like these guys leaving was a shock.

I's also argue that every team should always be developing replacement locks. They're hard to replace but you need to have a plan.

The Tah's have a history of just playing their top guys and not developing those behind them, read Mac Mason. Look at the Crusaders who will give guys 15-20 mins on the field to develop them and then when they need to start they have 10 or so caps and come into the team seamlessly (I'll give you the fact they have great talent too).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But they knew it was happening. It's not like these guys leaving was a shock.

I's also argue that every team should always be developing replacement locks. They're hard to replace but you need to have a plan.

The Tah's have a history of just playing their top guys and not developing those behind them, read Mac Mason. Look at the Crusaders who will give guys 15-20 mins on the field to develop them and then when they need to start they have 10 or so caps and come into the team seamlessly (I'll give you the fact they have great talent too).

Yep, it is a clear failure of the player development team

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies lost Carter, Arnold and Pocock at the end of 2019..... they seemed to do OK last year.

And Enever (one cap Wallaby) during the year.

Can't agree more that replacement locks must be in the system and being developed all the time. Witness Nick Frost, Tom Hooper and a couple more currently coming through the Brumbies system.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Brumbies lost Carter, Arnold and Pocock at the end of 2019..... they seemed to do OK last year.
Similarly the Reds lost Rodda and Hockings during 2020.
Losing locks isn’t an issue unique to NSW, yet they fail miserably in identifying development ones. Glancing over the U20s squad, I’d say two of the best young locks there are already signed to the Reds and Brumbies as well.

Alex Ross (28)
Glancing over the U20s squad, I’d say two of the best young locks there are already signed to the Reds and Brumbies as well.

Michael Wood was preferred as a starting lock over Frost and while not on the Tah sheets officially from what I can see, he did play in the trials. If the other locks don’t pull their finger out I would expect him to get elevated up the order.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Michael Wood was preferred as a starting lock over Frost and while not on the Tah sheets officially from what I can see, he did play in the trials. If the other locks don’t pull their finger out I would expect him to get elevated up the order.

Good point, a Reds fan Im jealous Michael Wood has moved south to try his hand in the Shute Shield to earn a contract, but also happy for the bloke. He had a horrible injury run and it’d be good to see him get another contract.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Similarly the Reds lost Rodda and Hockings during 2020.
Losing locks isn’t an issue unique to NSW, yet they fail miserably in identifying development ones. Glancing over the U20s squad, I’d say two of the best young locks there are already signed to the Reds and Brumbies as well.

The endless chopping and changing at the management level is the biggest problem for the Tahs, no focus on pathways and development.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Dammit - I've read Morgan Turinui's preview in the SMH, and now I'm starting to really look forward to the game. Tahs! Why do you do this to me - this futile hope?!

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty lazy from Stan, to mix up Will Harris and Will Harrison
Untitled.png

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
There is at least one positive for Tah’s fans we don’t need to listen to Rod Kafer’s hatred of the Waratahs.