• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Chiefs - 2011R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Get the cliche counter ready...

Game of 2 halves
Did the little things right
Taking it game by game
Bonus points don't matter right now
A win's a win

And those aren't my words....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They made the final year before last. They can in the top half and you know it Gnostic. If those passes stuck they would have killed the brumbies.

They have been that way forever Louie and you know it. They outperformed in 2009. It is back to the norm for them this year, passes not sticking and then pulling out a magnificent win that gives their fans hope. They will take some scalps along the way for sure and I had actually tipped them against the Brumbies tonight for that reason. Don't forget they strung together 3 or was it 4 wins on the road to start last year and then played so poor and dropped their home matches to miss the finals.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Get the cliche counter ready...

Game of 2 halves
Did the little things right
Taking it game by game
Bonus points don't matter right now
A win's a win

And those aren't my words....

:lmao:

Did you watch the press conference and post match interviews? Not quite word for word but that was the gist.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Selections for next week will be interesting...

On form you'd keep Vaea in the starting XV and bring in To'omua for Giteau... but neither will happen...

A mixed game for the Brumbies - looked solid for the first half an hour and then they were their own worst enemy...

Positives: The forwards. Dominant lineout. And dominant scrum when Palmer was on. What's interesting about the Brumbies' scrum is that the power is all there, but it's won or lost for them in the front row.

All the debutants played well: Palmer, Coleman and Vaea.

Palmer will be a Wallaby this year.

McCabe has continued on being Mr reliable.

The Brumbies were a bit sloppy at the breakdown. Although they generally dominated in the forwards they too often left the ball there for the taking.

Speight wasn't too impressive.

I just had the terrible feeling that the Brumbies would let the Chiefs back into the game and of course they did.

There were some signs in the game that they have the capability to be a top team, but unless Giteau considerably improves at flyhalf it won't happen.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The Brumbies will continue to bring their supporters as much grief as the Hurricanes. Unless they can keep playing with the same intensity all game it will be a long season. They had the same issue last year and it would seem nothing has changed. The coaching staff should have a good look at themselves.

T

tranquility

Truly great news that Palmer, Ita and Coleman played so well on debut. I haven't watched the tape, but the reports sound very promising. I hope Ita gets to start again next week, it can only be a good thing if Hoiles is made to work for his spot.

=debut for the brumbies, that is

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I thought Giteau played quite well and attempted to fix his crabbing.

Me too.

His depth was better (ie not ridiculous). He did seem to have two options - drift sideways and pass, or bolt and try and beat defenders drifting around the edge of the ruck.

Though that middle ground of 1) creating uncertainty and committing defenders then 2) finding his backline seems as far away as ever. If he gets to that point (1), he just keeps going, and unless he can pop in the tackle to a player like Coleman we're back to ruck and maul. (which is fine, but it's not a backline move. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) FFS!)

Speaking of Coleman, and this dates me and puts me back to my youth in mungo heartland, he reminded me of Phil Blake at his peak.

(Edit - I don't think I recall Steve Ella - the Zip-Zip man - but this is what I was thinking).

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Can Coleman play wing? That would be the only way to get To'omua in as Giteau won't be benched.
A new year but same old Brumbies, defence still not up to scratch and they switched off again. Never looked like getting that bonus point after such a promising start.

Pat looked good at fullback will only get better with more space.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
They made the final year before last. They can in the top half and you know it Gnostic. If those passes stuck they would have killed the brumbies.

And that's the point. If the passes had stuck the Brumbies would have been hammered. Ergo this was a lucky win against an opponent playing poorly. The Brumbies need to learn to defend against a good backline (not just a good backline playing poorly), to outplay a good tight 5 (not hold their own against a weak one), and to keep up the intensity for a full 80 minutes. Imagine if that had been the Crusaders or the Blues they were playing - they would have called it off at half time as an act of mercy.

Unless the Brumbies can pick up their performance then the Rebels could get their first bonus point from a close loss next week or maybe even a win if they can improve their organisation.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought the Brumbies played well in the first half but if those tries hadn't been bombed the match result might have looked a lot different.

The players on debut went well. Great try from Coleman, showing good feet and pace. The number 8. also looked good.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Good win for the Brumbies. I'm still worried that they fail to win with a bonus point and it's what has killed them these past 5 or so years.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
good first up win for the Brumbies... Chiefs were sloppy and set piece very poor... On the other hand the Brumbies set piece was outstanding especially with Palmer... he's a keeper. Giteau was good but did have a few poor passes loosing ground and one ending turnover ball with a chiefs try... Chiefs not worthy but nice to Umaga back. Coleman did make Mils look a little silly. Valentine Giteau partnership worked well and beyond doubt worth pursuing. Happy with a win but jeez guys get a 4th try we need all those bonus points. Ita Vae good , would like to see more of Speights however a good start for him to cut this teeth on. His defense was good.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I could see the Brumbies front row being the Australian front row. It's seems so ridiculous in hindsight that Ma'afu has 10 wallaby caps.

Liked the look of the Number 8, papers during the week said he was pretty much australia's lowest paid professional footballer. Hope he gets on for enough games so the brumbies have to upgrade his contract. Salvi also put in a good first half.

Fanifo looked the goods aswell. Best of luck to the ponies could be a good season if they sought themselves out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's only been one round but it certainly looks like Palmer is on the path to take the Wallaby TH spot...

Robinson/Moore/Palmer with TPN and Alexander on the bench is a pretty good combination...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Brumbies had some good individual efforts and it was good to see Frankie Fainifo healthy and in early form. We forget this is the guy that ran down Habana one day.

Vaea was the form 8 in Sydney club rugby last year - going by watching games on the ABC - but you couldn't be sure that he had the ability to take that game to Super Rugby. Now we can be sure. Folks will now know what I meant when I mentioned he plays a heavy game.

The commentators apart from Clarkie should do their homework. Clarkie had Vaea's weight on his crib sheet but Kearnsie mentioned that he was a giant, which he isn't, but a paper that Kearnsie read said he was. Kearnsie has to get out and watch a few club games.

Salvi had a nice return to Super rugby. That's the kind of form he showed for Bath and why they didn't want to let him go. I think he will thrive now that Smith is not blocking his way. Before he left to go offshore he was getting too little time at 7 or got shoved into playing 6 or even 8 to give him that time.

Palmer showed also why the Tahs didn't want to let him go. It seemed a bad decision for the young man but he backed himself. Well done to Friend for his selection and to Caputo, who must have offered advice on the matter.

The main problem for the Brumbies (and no, I don't think it is Giteau) is that they lack the on field team nous that the old Brumbies had in their pomp. They had better players then but not everybody was a star, yet the team played with an admirable belief in each other and that if things weren't going too well they could, as a team, find the solution.

This Brumbies team needs to get some of that. It's a bit rough to criticise them after only one game, which they won, but it was something that they were missing last year too.

They have to learn to grind things out. They can't rely on opponents stuffing up as much as the Chiefs did.

Status
Not open for further replies.