• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Hurricanes Round 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Date: Friday, February 26
Venue: GIO Stadium, Canberra
Kick-off: 19:45 local (08:45 GMT)
Referee: Andrew Lees (Australia)
Assistant Referees: Rohan Hoffmann (Australia), Michael Hogan (Australia)
TMO: Damien Mitchelmore (Australia)

Brumbies: 15 Aidan Toua, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Matt To'omua, 11 Joe Tomane, 10 Christian Lealiifano, 9 Tomás Cubelli, 8 Ita Vaea, 7 David Pocock, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Sam Carter, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore (c), 1 Allan Ala'alatoa Replacements: 16 Josh Mann-Rea, 17 Scott Sio, 18 Leslie Leulua'iali'i-Makin, 19 Jordan Smiler, 20 Jarrad Butler, 21 Michael Dowsett, 22 Andrew Smith, 23 Nigel Ah Wong

Hurricanes: 15 Nehe Milner-Skudder, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Vince Aso, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara (c), 8 Victor Vito, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Mark Abbott, 4 Blade Thomson, 3 Jeff Toomaga-Allen, 2 Leni Apisai, 1 Reggie Goodes Replacements: 16 Ricky Riccitelli, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Loni Uhila, 19 Vaea Fifita, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Jamison Gibson-Park, 22 Otere Black, 23 Willis Halaholo

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That's not a bad looking side. Dangerous attacking players at the back, in the halves and the back row. Centres are likely to be an unknown factor (they are to me at least). Will be a tough match for both sides to start the season.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Never really considered Woodward super rugby standard, well not a certified starter anyway. (bugger don't have quote function again)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still a pretty decent looking Canes side despite the loss of Nonu and Smith.........

A lot of strike power in the backs, and a good back row.............

Brumbies will need to win this up front, dictate the pace of the game, and not let it turn into a free flowing spectacle because the Canes can score tries from anywhere if you let that back 3 run wild...........

Reactions: mst

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's not a bad looking side. Dangerous attacking players at the back, in the halves and the back row. Centres are likely to be an unknown factor (they are to me at least). Will be a tough match for both sides to start the season.

Don't know much about Aso but Laumape could very well be Nonu v2.0 if he stays healthy: carved it up for Palmy North BHS 1st XV then cracked the shits when overlooked for the Junior 'canes & went to the Warriors (NRL variety). Had a wretched time injury-wise & probably quit before they released him.

On the few occasions I saw him play he looked a class above the usual bish-bosh-bash you get from a league centre. Apparently had a kicking game back in the day, not sure if that survived his time in 5-kick.

FWIW I've got these teams down as winners of their respective Conferences so the result could be pivotal later in the season. Brumbies being the home team I'm leaning towards them taking this out by 7 or less.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If you had to name 2 teams who were the least ravaged by by the post RWC exodus (ignoring teams who don't have any good players to lose, ahem) and looking the best for this year it would be these two.

Big call, but I reckon this could be the GF preview.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really?

Franks, Motu, Thrush, Nonu and Smith compared to Nasi Manu and Charles Piatau & Frank Halai

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Still a pretty decent looking Canes side despite the loss of Nonu and Smith...

A lot of strike power in the backs, and a good back row.....

Brumbies will need to win this up front, dictate the pace of the game, and not let it turn into a free flowing spectacle because the Canes can score tries from anywhere if you let that back 3 run wild.....

Never mind the back three, if the Hurricanes are to win it will be down to the backrow. Ever since Ardie Savea totally towelled the Tahs single-handedly on his debut, he has been the man most likely to replace McCaw for me. He will be the toughest obstacle to get over.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe the backrow is also their weakness. Blade Thomson is more of a backrower than a lock. Play a tight game and attack the fringes with pick and drives. The Brumbies should dominate the scrums and probably the line-outs with Coles out. Don't kick away possession. The Hurricanes look shit hot with their attacking threats, but a couple of those guys have questions marks over them as defenders. Be interesting to see how it goes when the Brumbies do throw it wide.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Brumbies: Ala'alatoa, Moore, Alexander, Carter, Arnold, Fardy, Pocock, Vaea, Cubelli, Lealiifano, Tomane, To'omua, Kuridrani, Speight, Toua

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

And a blade.

They have a friggin blade.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Brumbies: Ala'alatoa, Moore, Alexander, Carter, Arnold, Fardy, Pocock, Vaea, Cubelli, Lealiifano, Tomane, To'omua, Kuridrani, Speight, Toua

Great team. If they can't get to the final with that, one would wonder if they ever will again. I guess depth may be the issue?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Great team. If they can't get to the final with that, one would wonder if they ever will again. I guess depth may be the issue?

Just in some spots. Well covered for front row and locks. No 7 is a bit of a worry if Pocock goes down. In the outside backs, wing and outside centre are pretty well covered, but 12 and 15 might be a bit light on. 9 and 10 will be all right so long as someone can fill in at 12 if To'omua has to move to 10.

I'm guessing that very few teams could say they have every position covered as strongly as they might want. All in all, I think the Brumbies' depth will be more than adequate barring an inordinate number of injuries in those weaker spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.