• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Lions. Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This match should be interesting coming up this weekend. Hope Muir have enough guts to drop flippen Earl Rose (think I have a better change getting pragnent) and pick Burton Francis in fancy Carlos place and put Walla Venter in 13 to patch up their defense. The Lions will just want to better on previous weeks and the perfect match to catch the BumBoys off guard, jet lag and maybe to much self confidense but I wont bet a cent on it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Re: BumBoys vs Welpies

The Lions look like making some changes and if correct this will defnitely their best team. Out goes Rose for Killian, van Rensburg is on his way home and will be replace by my man Venter, Out goes Spenser and in come Francis. The forwards look just about right

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I won't be tipping the Lions to win this one, but I think it is certainly possible if they:

1. keep it in the forwards most of the time

2. get backs who can tackle everything that moves

3. play field position

4. give the ball to the speedy wingers in space

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Lions can only contain damage, but will be more effective with Francis. Send Carlos home. It's only about $100 for a cheap seat from Canberra to Auckland.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)

Brumbies have named an unchanged lineup for the 2nd week in a row.
The only thing that could save the Lions is the expected rain on Friday that would make this game a forwards slugfest.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

the lions will win this one if the brumbies bus crashes on the way to the match. that is their only chance.

Brumbies by plenty

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Some good changes to the Lions team. Me and Blue pretty much get all the names we wanting and sure one of their better teams. Watch out for Walter Venter vs Mortlock. Walla's dad, a poster in our SA house , www.proteasport.co.za , obvious in 7 heaven about his son getting his first start after waiting two long years to get his run. Usually a 12 but a hard tackler and from the Monnas rugby artwork.. Francis getting his change aswell, this match their big change to impress Muir.

March 3 - Auto and General Lions coach Dick Muir has made seven changes to the starting team that played their Hurricanes last weekend for Friday’s Vodacom Super 14 match against the Brumbies in Canberra.

One change was forced on him as centre Deon van Rensburg had to return to South Africa because of torn ligaments in his thumb.

Muir has emphasised that nothing should be read into the changes other than that it is part of the rotation policy to rest some of the players. The Brumbies, Waratahs and Crusaders are their three remaining matches on their
Australasian trip.

Four of the changes for Saturday are in the backline. Van Rensburg is replaced in midfield by Walter Venter who will partner Doppies la Grange.

At fullback, Michael Killian takes over from Earl Rose who moves to the bench, and Dusty Noble gets the one wing berth in place of young Wandile Mjekevu. He is now bracketed on the bench with Carlos Spencer, who has an injury problem.

Burton Francis takes over at flyhalf from Spencer.

Up front, Springbok loosehead Heinke van der Merwe makes way for JC Janse van Rensburg, hooker Charles Emslie gets his first start and lock Willem Stoltz returns from suspension in place of Franco van de Merwe.

The two Van der Merwe’s and Hannes Franklin move to the bench where the fourth forward is Jacques Lombard who is however bracket with Robert Kruger because of an injury niggle.

“We were bitterly disappointed at the result against the Hurricanes last weekend,” Muir said on Tuesday. “We were better than that.

“I think the Hurricanes summed it up correctly when they said we were the better team that just didn’t finish it off.”

Muir felt that the team had taken a step up generally against the Hurricanes, and that the defence was also better than the previous week against the Chiefs when both sides scored nine tries in Chiefs’ 72-65 win at Coca-Cola Park.

“But our defence still let us down on a few occasions. We missed a couple of kicks at goal and we also made some silly mistakes - but the good thing is that we again created opportunities. With more experience the guys will start finishing those opportunities off.

“We want to take another step up this weekend. Muir said he was “quite happy where we’re at. We’re looking forward to a big lone against the Brumbies, and we’re looking for that first result, you know."

The team is:

Michael Killian, Tonderai Chavanga, Walter Venter, Doppies la Grange, Dusty Noble, Burton Francis, JP Joubert, Todd Clever, Derick Minnie, Cobus Grobbelaar (capt.), Willem Stoltz, George Earl, Kevin Buys, Charles Emslie, JC Janse van Rensburg. Replacements: Hannes Franklin, Heinke van der Merwe, Franco van der Merwe, Jacques Lombaard/Robert Kruger, Jacques Coetzee, Carlos Spencer/Wandile Mjekevu, Earl Rose.

Good luck to the Lions and hoping they'll prove MR just wrong about the bus crashing. They got nothing to lose in this game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Much better. Better pack as well with Stolz - big mofo.

Clever at 8 is also working well.

Francis needs game time. I like this guy.

Thee goys need to fix their tackling and they could roll a few teams. With Earl on the bench their defense will already be better.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Obvious would have wanted to start with Heinke but I think Muir have his own strategy and will hope to be in touch still at half time and then bring on the big men and breakers Spencer & Rose to take advantage if there is still jet lag with the BumBoys.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Just woke up. It's a nice cool day in the can. winter is coming. lots of cloud cover but i don't think they'll do much.
lovely rugby weather.
Brumbies by 12+

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
louie said:
Just woke up. It's a nice cool day in the can. winter is coming. lots of cloud cover but i don't think they'll do much.
lovely rugby weather.
Brumbies by 12+

It's a miserable day today, and looks to be the case for the long weekend

Lions forwards have been way to inconsistent thus far. Moments when they attack as a pack and then long periods when one guy gets out of the line putting pressure on others. Lions definitely have the talent IMO, but just aren't clicking as a team (obviously that's all Spencers fault of course ::).

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Well it's raining now and looks like it will set in for most of the day.
Maybe the bonus point is out the window already but we'll see how the game goes in the wet.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
was fine when i woke up, when i walked out of work i thought mmmm spoke to soon

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Venters dad also qouted the raining. Should fit well for the Lions. Francis have a more then usefull boot and they have the pack to grunt it out. Like the Minnie/Clever/Baywatch combo.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Langthorne said:
I won't be tipping the Lions to win this one, but I think it is certainly possible if they:

1. keep it in the forwards most of the time

2. get backs who can tackle everything that moves

3. play field position

4. give the ball to the speedy wingers in space

5. Score more points than the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.