• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds, week 3 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Giteau cannot manage the backline...

He runs sideways and kicks too much...

He was poor against the rebels... He didn't learn the first few times that kicking to Gerrard was a bad idea so he continued to do it...

Coleman was quiet... He'll get his chances and doesn't need to be rushed...

The Brumbies will continue to struggle with scoring tries if Giteau remains at flyhalf...

Also it seems he will crab and then turn the ball back inside to a one out forward runner to get tackled by cover defenders to generate more slow ball if it isn't turned over. When the ball does go wide he has already run into the 12 or 13 channel pushing those blokes out to crowd the winger. See his first run against the Rebels as a case in point.

The forwards also need to change tactics and not run one out. Where is there close support or the drive on the hip charecterised by the Tahs? Where are the support runners to take the offload? Too often the support players are busy making the next slow ruck ball.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Hoiles still out?

I feel the Reds are a real chance this weekend with Hoiles and Elsom parading on the sidelines...

..and Giteau playing like ass

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hoiles is out... But he wouldnt get his spot back with Vaea playing so well...

I'd be more worried about Vaea...

I'm more concerned about losing Chapman because the Brumbies lineout was killing it...

T

tranquility

I wonder what the odds are for this week?

The Reds can never seem to buy a win in Canberra. We got done last year for some reason, and two years before that the Brumbies rolled out the St. Edmunds first XV and still got the pancakes. It goes back a lot longer than that as well, I just hope we can play some consistent, well structured and patient footy.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd have gilly at least on the bench, and depending on trial form would also give schatz a run in lieu of houston. Interesting you went for wallace-harrison over samo, seeing as i haven't seen either of them play for a while I have no idea which one is higher on the pecking order at the moment?

Whats toua's kicking and defence like at the back?

Bowside,
I picked Wallace-Harrison as I think Samo is still injured as for Gill I'd be happy to see him on the bench also.

Toua's kicking is good & his defence seems pretty good on what I've seen.

Rod davies is going to play but I'd still have Toua as a straight swap.

T

TheTruth

Toua brings more than just speed - his ability to shift, move and generally change direction on a sixpence probably gives it over the Rocket. Real question is Chambers. Forwards need some tweaking and Holmes for daley (and Hanson for Saaia) would bring more up front. Robinson HAS to start

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder what the odds are for this week?

The Reds can never seem to buy a win in Canberra. We got done last year for some reason, and two years before that the Brumbies rolled out the St. Edmunds first XV and still got the pancakes. It goes back a lot longer than that as well, I just hope we can play some consistent, well structured and patient footy.

Losing both locks in the first 20 minutes was the killer blow. I was there that night and we faught on bravely but the Brumbies just picked us off. It was also one of the few nights last year where Giteau had a good game.

I remember the fixture two years before that but more for the Huxley incident. On paper we were meant to roll them but as you say we just can;t crack it down there.

On a positive note if we crack it this weekend, it is going to be a huge shot in the arm and a pretty good tonic to get things rolling forward.

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
I think this week with hynesy out I would like to see toua given a chance but you would think after the past 2 weeks that Lucas will start at 15. I guess he adds that 2nd playmaker to the equation but you have to think with him back there the reds backline looks pretty slow IMO. The only bloke with genuine speed is rocket. And he doesn't have that line breaking ability that toua has.

I think they will also go with a 5-2 split on the bench after the forwards getting bashed the past couple games. Quirk and gill on the bench and Robinson starting which unfortunately means Schatzy will be unlucky to miss out with Wallace Harrison covering lock and Harris and toua covering the backs.

T

tranquility

If Toua is covering the backs who comes in for Hynes? and possibly Rod?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Rod has indicated he wants to play 15 to cover for Hynes but Toua and Lucas will be better than him there and harris might be an outside shot for 15.

I hope Toua starts over those guys, it would show ambition on Link's part but the guy has my full backing (and manlove) for good reason. He is a ridiculous player and should have played much earlier. He also is better at 15, has a long accurate boot, kick returning is probably the best in Aus, and he is fairly rapid.

They better not start Rod at 15, he cant even kick, and then put Toua on the bench, it would be a travesty

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
As a loyal brumbies fan I really hope they get smashed this weekend

I agree Louis, I hope they get FLOGGED.....what a shame we are saying this, but players need to be responsible for their actions on the field, take critisim and move on and improve..not be a sook and cry to mumma (FAGAN) and shout PLAYER REVOLT...!!! SPOILT BRATS is what the Brumbies Leaders are....

T

TheTruth

I agree Louis, I hope they get FLOGGED.....what a shame we are saying this, but players need to be responsible for their actions on the field, take critisim and move on and improve..not be a sook and cry to mumma (FAGAN) and shout PLAYER REVOLT...!!! SPOILT BRATS is what the Brumbies Leaders are....

Is Reds Team announced Thursday

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies team named:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Colby Fainga'a
7. Julian Salvi
8. Ita Vaea
9. Josh Valentine
10. Matt Giteau
11. Francis Fainifo
12. Robbie Coleman
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Henry Speight
15. Pat McCabe

16. Huia Edmonds
17. Salesi Ma'afu
18. Peter Kimlin
19. Michael Hooper
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Matt To'omua
21. Christian Lealiifano

Chapman suspended and Andrew Smith suffering concussion after the Runners match on Monday night.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ok Reds Team announced
St.George Reds team (from fullback): Ben Lucas, Rod Davies, Will Chambers, Anthony Fainga'a, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia (c), Leroy Houston, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, Van Humphries, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley (vc)

Reserves: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Ed Quirk, Liam Gill, Mike Harris, Luke Morahan

No unforced changes to the starting line up. and A revamped bench with Toua missing out.

I must say I am a bit disappointed in seeing the same backline running out again. the Forwards balance seems to be a bit better.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd be surprised with all the chopping and changing if either team gets out of first gear this game, not from lack of trying though.

Individuals have played okay for both these teams this year but so far almost all their combinations have been just awful.

Reserves: James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Ed Quirk, Liam Gill, Mike Harris, Luke Morahan

3 forwards Ewen has clearly defined as opensides in the one 22, but why? I get the Reds lacked openside penetration in their 1st few games but the answer is finding the right one, not using multiple of them. If the Reds need extra forward reserves anywhere it's in the front row.

Toua looked great last game and harked back to the youthful Reds of 2010 that played with a spring in their step, why take him out of the 22?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Would be interesting if we get to see Fainga'a and Hooper vs Quirk and Gill in the backrow all on the field at some stage in the game. Will definitely a showcase of the best young opensides in Aus, we've got a good crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.