• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tilse & Ryan did not have a good time against Palmer in the club semi final.

I can't see them both playing this one

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
My bet is that the Tahs will play a classic game of 10 man rugby as the pressure for a win is truly on and they will be happy to just win ugly. If they can take apart the Brumbies lineout (which without Moore and Chapman they are a good chance) it will work for them. The Brumbies will try to go wide but Giteau will fark this up with his usual method of farking things up. This won't be pretty and if I had to guess, the Tahs will win narrowly maybe off the back of a couple of missed conversions under pressure.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Kepu did handle Palmer in the Shield and he had no dramas at all with Alexander and I would submit dominated him. I know it won't happen but it is what I would like to see. It is stupid to do the same thing again and again and expect a different result.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo;218416[B said:
]My bet is that the Tahs will play a classic game of 10 man rugby as the pressure for a win is truly on and they will be happy to just win ugly[/B]. If they can take apart the Brumbies lineout (which without Moore and Chapman they are a good chance) it will work for them. The Brumbies will try to go wide but Giteau will fark this up with his usual method of farking things up. This won't be pretty and if I had to guess, the Tahs will win narrowly maybe off the back of a couple of missed conversions under pressure.

I think you are quite wrong on this point Ruggo. After the debacle against the Cheetahs and their second half capitulation against the Crusaders a reversion to conservative rugby unless it is pissing down with rain will do nothing to appease the people they have upset. They must play well, and execute a good balanced game plan in an accurate way to start winning back support. Their mode of play is more important than the win IMO, as important as that is. Regardless of how many games they won last year they only played well in three or four. Their bumbling and poor execution is what loses them fans.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The thing is the Waratahs TRIED to play conservative rugby in the second half against the Cheetahs. Barnes hardly ever threw it wide, they kept hitting it up two off the ruck and kicking for the corner. The problems were they kept being driven back by a brutal Cheetahs defence, and they kept dropping the ball.

Ten man rugby didn't work on Saturday. I will be very surprised if they go there again.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The cheetahs have more team spirit and belief than the brumbies had demonstrated so far this season, so I wouldn't expect them to be driving them back with 20 to go.

If TPN stays on the field for an hour the tahs will win, if he only makes it to half time it will be close and if he goes off in the first thirty, the brumbies will win.

Cyril Towers (30)

Ryan didn't pack down against Palmer as they are both tight heads. Jerry Y struggled against him until he broke his ankle and went off. Things actually improved when Tilse went to LHP and Ryan came on. Tilse will be on the bench this week as they need LHP cover. If they play Ryan it would pretty much mean Kepu playing 80 and he never does.

Cyril Towers (30)
Kepu did handle Palmer in the Shield and he had no dramas at all with Alexander and I would submit dominated him. I know it won't happen but it is what I would like to see. It is stupid to do the same thing again and again and expect a different result.

One thing's for sure. Kepu has packed hundreds of scrums against Palmer at training and Foley has coached him for a while, so they will know what to expect.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ryan didn't pack down against Palmer as they are both tight heads. Jerry Y struggled against him until he broke his ankle and went off. Things actually improved when Tilse went to LHP and Ryan came on. Tilse will be on the bench this week as they need LHP cover. If they play Ryan it would pretty much mean Kepu playing 80 and he never does.

I think FP was saying the Southern scrum with Palmer anchoring gave Uni a torrid time and I would agree. But your are right Ryan never went toe to toe with Palmer.

IMO a Kepu TPN Ryan front row could dominate Alexander Edmonds Palmer front row in the scrum, lineout and loose.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just to make things worse for the Brumbies...

Rea is likely to play Fainga'a at 6 with Salvi at 7... further weakening the Brumbies' set piece...

It really doesn't take a super coach to work out that Kimlin is due for a promotion to the starting XV, and with Chapman out he should slide straight into 6...

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)

Rea is likely to play Fainga'a at 6 with Salvi at 7... further weakening the Brumbies' set piece...

It really doesn't take a super coach to work out that Kimlin is due for a promotion to the starting XV, and with Chapman out he should slide straight into 6...

Rea is a mungo, doesnt understand what the flankers do, even after working with king george.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Spiro? Is that you in there?

I have a feeling that the first guy to propose this was Bob Dwyer, long before Spiro.

When you play a game like last Saturday the first thing you have to do is rectify what went wrong. The backs selection was not a problem, poor option choice and people dropping the pill were the backs problems. So fix that and don't turn the backline upside down.

Now... the forwards. Where to start....? We have to get back to the physicality we had against the Reds and Rebels firstly. We have to blow people off the ball at the breakdown for a full 80 minutes. Then we need to reinstate the buddy running we used so effectively in the first two weeks. We need to dominate the lineout again (Douglas, Mumm and Dennis/Mowen should win 99% of their ball and 25% of the oppositions). We need parity in the scrum.

The only way we can effectively try out some options at scrum time is to run a 5:2 split on the bench. Then we can start with Kepu and Ryan, with Tilse to back up Kepu and Baxter to come on if Ryan doesn't work out.

If we can somehow put aside last week (I wish there was some way I could, but its the recurring nightmare - Highlanders last year, Cheetahs this year) then this block of four games starting with the Cheetahs is the natural time for testing out some of the reserve players to see if they can step up. We tried Ulugia last week and it didn't go well but that is no reason to stop testing out the back-ups, its the only way that you find out if they are up to it. In the next three weeks we should trial O'Connor, Timani, Ryan, Tilse and Alcock but not all together.

So, my suggestion would be 1. Kepu, 2. TPN, 3. Ryan, 4. Mumm, 5. Douglas, 6. Dennis, 7. Waugh, 8. Palu, 9. Burgess, 10. Barnes, 11. Mitchell, 12. Carter, 13. Turner, 14. Pakalani, 15. Beale, 16. Fitzpatrick, 17. Tilse, 18. Baxter, 19. Timani, 20. Mowen, 21. McKibben, 22. Cross. If Waugh can't last the match then I'd put Alcock in and let Waugh have another week's recovery.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

If whoever is selecting the Brumbies team does this then we need to specifically target the lineout with Douglas, Mumm and Dennis/Mowen. But I can't believe they would, it would be nuts.

C

CanadianRugby

How can anyone really want to pick Pakalani again? He was garbage last week. Don´t have a clue who would replace him, but surely there is someone better. I agree with everyone who says that its more about the ´Tahs getting their heads right, not making any position changes. Beale is the best 15 in Australia and in contention for best in the world...and you want to move him to 13? If they are garbage again this week, then maybe drastic changes are needed.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
How can anyone really want to pick Pakalani again? He was garbage last week. Don´t have a clue who would replace him, but surely there is someone better. I agree with everyone who says that its more about the ´Tahs getting their heads right, not making any position changes. Beale is the best 15 in Australia and in contention for best in the world...and you want to move him to 13? If they are garbage again this week, then maybe drastic changes are needed.

Pakalani v Speight: battle of the duds

Pakalani should be left right out & have Turner on the wing with Cross @ 13.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would be inclined to give Afa one more go. He showed glimpses of brilliance, but in the end had a shocker. He made plenty of things happen, but just couldn't catch the ball. I think and hope it was a one-off as a result of nerves, and he will be much better this week. Dropping him after that would do a bit of harm to the lad as well.

T

TheTruth

no question Tahs are the better side but can they come back from the disgraceful performance of last week. Ponies will be trying to prove something. Reckon this game should be won by the tahs but but but would not be surprised if Ponies get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.