• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mowen and Mogg - should be SERIOUSLY considered for Wallabies - Falou is a mile behind Mogg, has only signed a 1 year deal, has no loyalty to OUR game. Mogg, on performance is the stand out back so far.
Tahs, oh the Tahs - such promise yet no delivery - Ckeika to get tough on selections - no passion no play. Tahs season just about looks shot (hope not but). Bloody shame for Tah supporters/

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bad luck Tahs. The Brumbies have a good combination of long accurate kicking, aggression at the breakdown, and a good set piece. I also think they've got some very good players in the bench in Sio, Coleman, Tomane, and Auleau. Sio is a future star IMO. Tomane proved again he is a starting XV player. Not sure about Andrew Smiths injury but Tomane looked very much at home at 13. The Brumbies need to improve their execution and discipline. Mistackle count has been very high but they haven't leaked points. Is that a result of their aggressive line speed?

Mogg is farken quick. He smoked Turner who is damn quick.

Speight went to outside centre and tomane went to the wing, took me a while to figure out what the hell wass happening with all 3 on the fieild.

P

Paradox

Speight went to outside centre and tomane went to the wing, took me a while to figure out what the hell wass happening with all 3 on the fieild.
Tomane was definitely 13 in attack there at one point. Will rewatch.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I propose a new venue for Brumbies v Tahs next year. Purely for the sake of Wallabies' knees. That's two in a row.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't think McKibbin should take too much if any of the blame for that.
Dennis, I think, got 2 hands to the ball and slam dunked it so that it hit the ground half way between the lineout and McKibbin. WTF?
From the moment it left Dennis' hands the Brumbies were permitted to encroach within the 10 and White was allowed beyond the 15. Why were they so keen to take the ball off the top anyway? That's a play for later in the game, i would have thought.
I accept maybe McKibbin should not have thrown the ball but I'll forgive him on the basis of the clusterfuck in the lineout.
If you were to coach McKibbin not to throw passes from bad ball he'd be playing one out on last night's lineout performance.
This is why i say the Tahs are way behind Cheika's improvement curve.
You're right, he's not responsible for the poorly performing lineout, but he is responsible (to an extent) for what he does with the ball. Turning your back to the opposition and throwing a pass which is either intercepted or the receiver is smashed as the ball arrives is his responsibility. In at lease some of the situations last night, he needed to keep the ball and take it forward into contact (the forwards are all still there from the lineout to support him) or if appropriate, put it a well placed kick. That's what the top quality half backs do. If he can't do that, then he hasn't reached top quality yet.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have to say I'm with qwerty on this one. I wouldn't pick folau for the lions but I think he will be a wallaby spring tourist if he sticks around. Give him 10 more games to iron the kinks out and he will start to produce the goods.

The tahs looked directionless. It was very noticeable how much the scrum declined when Timani went off. He might be the price we pay for scrum dominance come lions time.

I reckon Deans needs to pull rank on white and ask him to move Lilo back to 10 in case Cooper fails to rediscover his form.

I wouldn't pick Folau for the Lions for 2 reasons: 1 his form at this stage doesn't warrant it and 2, I don't want him anywhere near Deans.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're right, he's not responsible for the poorly performing lineout, but he is responsible (to an extent) for what he does with the ball. Turning your back to the opposition and throwing a pass which is either intercepted or the receiver is smashed as the ball arrives is his responsibility. In at lease some of the situations last night, he needed to keep the ball and take it forward into contact (the forwards are all still there from the lineout to support him) or if appropriate, put it a well placed kick. That's what the top quality half backs do. If he can't do that, then he hasn't reached top quality yet.
I dont think anyone says his or will ever be top quality.
Control the things you can - eg. how you deliver the ball from the lineout.
If you control those things many other problems cease to be fatal to the team.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No point blaming any individual player in the Tahs for that train wreck. The team played like shit and it is the team who has to take that on board. Actually they got a masterclass from the Brumbies on how to play like a team.

Tahs play the Cheetahs at home next week. Anybody remember how that went last time? Anybody see how the Cheetahs played last night? Tahs have a week to sort it out because it will be like two years ago all over again.

Reactions: BPC

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
To me it seems Cheika has the blinkers on regarding his new style of play and is reluctant to change it anytime soon. He feels hard work is the answer and they just need to keep at it.

agree 100% with this. His press conference was very weird. Talks a lot of philosophic jargon "if you've got to do what you do well" Comes across a lot like R.Deans, someone who talks a big game, has grand ideas but can't create a team that works together. I hope I'm wrong but he seems very gun ho in his approach.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's not quite Deans esque but the difference is Deans chose his squad and Cheika has inherited most of that squad.

I don't think they're changing too much but asking fans to be patient won't wash on those who went through last year.

Hearing Dennis say they need to not worry about the scoreboard and just their performance is concerning.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We lost badly last night, but I don't think many knowledgeable fans expected the Tahs to win this. In Canberra, with the full squad available for selection except McCabe and Ita Vaea with George Smith as the perfect replacement, Brumbies fresh after the bye was always a bridge too far. The Tahs have not managed to win in Canberra many times, only a couple I think. Third game of the new season, with a new coach and new gameplan. People should have a cup of tea and a good lie down, especially those Reds fans who are trying just to rub it in. I tipped the Brumbies by 12 because I knew two things:
  1. We were not yet ready to play one of the competition heavyweights.
  2. The Brumbies are an exceptionally good team with the best overall coaching team in probably the whole comp. Maybe the Chiefs coaches are equal but lets not start an argument. Right now if you had to pick the Grand Final it would be Brumbies/Chiefs with maybe the Sharks the smokey.
So it was expected the Brumbies would win. The main concern was how much and it turned out to be pretty comprehensive. But that is no reason to toss all 22 players on the scrap heap, we can do that if the players are still delivering to that level after round 10. We were NEVER going to win the comp this year, the best we could hope for was between 6th and 10th. Next year is a different kettle of fish.

We've now got three home games in a row, followed by a trip to Wellington. We are a good chance to win three of those and get our season back on track. Every potential Wallaby in our squad will now know they are a good chance to miss the Lions tour unless they show massive improvement. That will be a huge incentive to perform better.

I've driven down to Canberra to watch a Tahs/Brumbies game three times and have always gone home disappointed. Its not unusual or end-of-the-world. Most of those defeats were pretty comprehensive too and pretty galling. A couple of those games I thought we were hot favourites. So last night was bad, but not so bad we won't be back.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
It's not quite Deans esque but the difference is Deans chose his squad and Cheika has inherited most of that squad.

I don't think they're changing too much but asking fans to be patient won't wash on those who went through last year.

Hearing Dennis say they need to not worry about the scoreboard and just their performance is concerning.

As long as we're playing attacking rugby it doesn't matter if we win or lose is a dangerous philosophy to live under.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can i just say i love the Brumbies centenary jersey. They should use this every time they play against another team in blue, which is Oz seems to be everybody except Qld:

ng-brums-artw-20130226212009643611-620x349.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No point blaming any individual player in the Tahs for that train wreck. The team played like shit and it is the team who has to take that on board. Actually they got a masterclass from the Brumbies on how to play like a team.

Tahs play the Cheetahs at home next week. Anybody remember how that went last time? Anybody see how the Cheetahs played last night? Tahs have a week to sort it out because it will be like two years ago all over again.

I'm not blaming any one player. Earlier in the thread I was pointing out some deficiencies in the half back as being one of the factors affecting the backline. No doubt it was a team loss and it needs to be viewed in that way. I've always believed that results were not going to be instantaneous, although I think they are behind where I expected them to be.

The squad as a whole lacks balance and depth in key postions, which is why realists such as me tried to hose down expectations such as topping the conference etc. The most we can expect this year is that they improve week to week, become familiar with a style of play and that Cheika can offload as many duds as possible and recruit the players needed for the task.

Last night was a step backwards, but the Brumbies are light years ahead of the other Aussie teams, despite the delusions of sections of the Reds supporters. It was always going to be the toughest game so far and it certainly turned out that way.

The current squad won't win the Super Rugby competition as long as the sun rises in the east, that reality needs to be faced.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We lost badly last night, but I don't think many knowledgeable fans expected the Tahs to win this. In Canberra, with the full squad available for selection except McCabe and Ita Vaea with George Smith as the perfect replacement, Brumbies fresh after the bye was always a bridge too far. The Tahs have not managed to win in Canberra many times, only a couple I think. Third game of the new season, with a new coach and new gameplan. People should have a cup of tea and a good lie down, especially those Reds fans who are trying just to rub it in. I tipped the Brumbies by 12 because I knew two things:
  1. We were not yet ready to play one of the competition heavyweights.
  2. The Brumbies are an exceptionally good team with the best overall coaching team in probably the whole comp. Maybe the Chiefs coaches are equal but lets not start an argument. Right now if you had to pick the Grand Final it would be Brumbies/Chiefs with maybe the Sharks the smokey.
So it was expected the Brumbies would win. The main concern was how much and it turned out to be pretty comprehensive. But that is no reason to toss all 22 players on the scrap heap, we can do that if the players are still delivering to that level after round 10. We were NEVER going to win the comp this year, the best we could hope for was between 6th and 10th. Next year is a different kettle of fish.

We've now got three home games in a row, followed by a trip to Wellington. We are a good chance to win three of those and get our season back on track. Every potential Wallaby in our squad will now know they are a good chance to miss the Lions tour unless they show massive improvement. That will be a huge incentive to perform better.

I've driven down to Canberra to watch a Tahs/Brumbies game three times and have always gone home disappointed. Its not unusual or end-of-the-world. Most of those defeats were pretty comprehensive too and pretty galling. A couple of those games I thought we were hot favourites. So last night was bad, but not so bad we won't be back.
Top post.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think he meant in the Wallabies. As in there are other contenders for the 7 jumper for the Wallabies.
Yeah in the Wallabies Squad as well I would start Hooper have Gill on the bench and Smith in the squad like they did last year with pocock starting hooper in the 22 and Gill in the squad.

But I think it alll going to go on form, and Smith was good last night and out pointed Hooper but hard to tell as the brumbies dominated so much.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Watching the game at Canberra Stadium was a fantastic experience. Passionate supporters, good food, beer in tinnies, and you can still see the field from the beer queue. Brumbies fans were fun and there was lots of good joking before and after the game. About fifty times more enjoyable than watching the Tahs at the SFS.

Ripper of a night.

Except for the Waratahs. They were rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.