• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumby Runner Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
It wasn't a case of keeping his feet, it was chastisement that in scoring he was too far from support - nothing at all to do with keeping his feet -
My comment said Coleman would rather he went to ground before making a break so that support was near rather than making a 40m break.

I do think the players he has picked are a waste of space, Liam Winton being one, Pama Fou being another, I do think Viliami Iongi does have a bit of XFactor about him although I dont think Coleman is the best person to bring this out of him. Coleman is useless at identifying talent, the blokes that have successfully come through the Academy are all Andy Friend picks such as Stubbs, Robbie Coleman, Faiagaa etc. Thank goodness Darren Coleman didnt get his hands on these blokes and others, it would have spelt an end to their careers...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
6 pages of defaming (whether rightly or wrongly, I don't know him) Darren Coleman, including implied alcohol and now racial issues. Pretty unfair personal attacks against a guy that isn't here to defend himself. The bloke's resigned now, surely some of you can let off? it's getting a bit old.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We know he has resigned but it would be nice for the players did for him what they did for Friendly - in this case it could only result in a more competitive academy team.
A report on one player was unsatisfactory because quote "whenever he made a line break (which is nearly every time he gets the ball) he gets so far in front of the support he is isolated". and therefore an unsatisfactory player.
Coleman prefers the players to trip, stumble and fall close to the support.
I would have thought it better to have the support geed up that whenever this player gets the ball - get to him quick because the chance are he will make a break. Incidentally this player also scored a try from his line break after a second phase and a gain of 40 m. he also castigated him for a chip chase that also resulted in a try.
Terrible player, naughty player for being so talented. Better to dive at half way and have a ruck.

Coleman does have a bit of a point here...

While his support players should do a better job to keep up he shouldn't be isolating himself...

You'll notice the better teams (like the Crusaders against the Brumbies) will tend to slow it down a little if they make a break (and have defenders closing in) to allow more time for their support...

T

TheTruth

On reading this stuff you all seemed to miss his point, the kid/bloke/player actually scored yet was admonished for doing it in a fashion where he had no support.
gee i would have thought that was the purpose of having good backs - score when no one can get near you.

Dear CTC - what kid/bloke/player are we talking about here - agree that a player who has the opportunity of scoring should go for it

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
6 pages of defaming (whether rightly or wrongly, I don't know him) Darren Coleman, including implied alcohol and now racial issues. Pretty unfair personal attacks against a guy that isn't here to defend himself. The bloke's resigned now, surely some of you can let off? it's getting a bit old.

I agree, and Im probably the one who has been leading the charge. My issue with this bloke has always been picking players who are his favourites to come to Canberra at the expense of local talent. Bloke might end up being a good coach in the future but at the moment, his talent spotting and coaching techniques dont suit this group or in fact this organisation.

My thoughts, get a local coach to coach the Academy, Condi, Leseberg, Robbards, O'Neil etc...coaches who have a good handle on the local comp and on the capabilities of what they can bring to the table, before they look outside the box.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just as long as the coach isn't attached to a club at present. Too many players may end up being warehoused at some clubs, and an inside man with the academy would be a conflict of interest.

That said, a local guy with the John I Dent knowledge, and a will to develop it into a better competition would go down well with me. As has been covered, there is heaps of local talent around the ACT, we should really make use of it.

Any news on what's going on with the Brumbies Academy for next year? Hoping there is a bit of change around the joint..

Status
Not open for further replies.