• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Bulls starting to up the ante. 25-26 with kick to come.

EDIT: 27-26 to Bulls.

S

Spook

Very good try to Tahs (Turner). Barnes much better at 12. Hangers good at 10. Score 31-27 TAHS.

S

Spook

Bulls pressuring Tahs line and try to Bulls (bonus point). That was a great try to the Bulls - forwards controlled and then spun out wide. 34-31 Bulls.

S

Spook

Bulls dominating possesion and territory. 10 to go. Bulls score right in front - Barnes left a huge hole. 41 - 31 Bulls.

S

Spook

Tahs score after same lame Bulls defense. Rob Horne looking good though and hurt the Bulls with a great step and power. Mitchell finishes well. Tahs have bonus point. 41-38 Bulls. Tahs upping the ante now!!

S

Spook

Tahs penalised. Very kickable for Steyn but he turns it down. Bulls have turned down 8 kickable penalties. Weird.

S

Spook

try bulls. 48-38 to bulls. Tahs miss out on losing bonus point. Game over. GREAT GAME. Tahs should restore fans faith with that game.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
What a bloody good game. A couple of frsutrating moments and the Tahs probably deserved more than one point but as Phil said thats the nature of the game.

Off the cuff, Horne to start next week, Anessi in trouble, 2nd rowers did well.

I now know how it feels to support the Reds.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Will have catch the replay but another awesome game between the Aussie sides and the Bulls. Full credit to them they really know how to comeback from a big deficit and also score a heap of points. Nice to see the Waratahs scoring tries again, unlucky not to win it but something to build on now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Haven't seen the game yet, but:

Spook said:
Bulls have turned down 8 kickable penalties. Weird.

Yet the Tahs did and failed to win. The away team tends to take the penalties I suppose.

At least we provied we could get 4 tries.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It looks like they read quite a few of the pre game comments. I think I'll start a new thread to help them for next week.

An improved performance, but still SO frustrating. They could have won that match. I hope TPN is OK.

Breathe.

Calm.

Some good developments: attitude and urgency MUCH better, fast ball, Burgess passing and running well, good counter rucking (early on), strong scrum, Halangahu had a positive impact, Wingers came looking for the ball, Horne made it on and confirmed that he should start, the young second row did well as did the reserves (despite the average throwing of Fitzpatrick, he looked a great prospect), 4 tries (but the Bulls defence is pretty poor)

Some less pleasing things: not contesting defensive lineouts (WHY THE F NOT?! - what is the worst that could happen? they secure possession and form a rolling maul which leads to them scoring?! Oh, hang on..), Anesi continues to be pedestrian - fatprop (and maybe others?) have already said it: start Beale at 15, Waugh is still struggling with the new interpretations (but some of those infringements were the 'lesser of two evils' ie deliberate), they lost.

Jonker: Why the massive PAUSE before you say pause?! Moron - "Crouch", "Touch" [very long pause], "Pause" [a split second later], "Engage" - TOOL. Through my one good eye it seemed that he was less inclined to penalise the Bulls for ruck infringements than he was the Tahs (he would often warn the Bulls but not act)

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
As already stated, a vast improvement but still along way short. Points the game raised for me:

1. Numerous times when we had good attacking momentum, Burgess still fucks about at the scrum base wandering what he is going to have for his tea before eventually digging the ball out and setting up the next phase. By this time, the defense is better set and often it leads to a Tahs knock on or other error. If you've got the momentum, use it.

2. Anesi has less than nothing and offers bugger all in terms of counter attack.

3. Still far too much midfield kicking. In my mind, the Bulls started to come back into the game midway through the first half when we were consistently kicking the ball away to get "field position". Most of the advantage in the first part of the half came from Tahs running good lines, passing, creating space etc. Why did they then change the game plan and why didnt they change it back when it didnt work

4. Phil Waugh giving away far too many penalties (but overall he did have a good game). Think we was lucky to stay on the field at the end of the second half. Bulls scoring a try probably saved him.

5. Carter did OK at 13 - certainly much better than the past two games. Think that came about through far better service and options available for him to offload. He appeared to make numerous tackle busts and was able to off load the ball due to some great strength.

5. Some very strange substitutions. I assume the TPN is injured; why else bring on Fitzpatrick that early. Why Turner off rather than Mitchell when Turner was the better winger. Why wasnt Anesi hooked very early on? Why take off Hangers when the 10-12 option was working?

6. Great to Horne in action again after his layoff. Even better to see his hamstring make it through the game!

7. The locks for the Tahs did ok given their lack of experience at this level and were up against one of the best in the game.

8. Shame Mcaffrey didnt get 5 mins (or did he?)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TheRiddler said:
5. Some very strange substitutions. I assume the TPN is injured; why else bring on Fitzpatrick that early. Why Turner off rather than Mitchell when Turner was the better winger. Why wasnt Anesi hooked very early on? Why take off Hangers when the 10-12 option was working?

The answer to all those questions lies in our signatures

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
TheRiddler said:
5. Carter did OK at 13 - certainly much better than the past two games. Think that came about through far better service and options available for him to offload. He appeared to make numerous tackle busts and was able to off load the ball due to some great strength.

What about his pace at the end of the game. Have you ever seen a bigger treadmill? He did get there at the end but those saying he might have good top end pace have to watch that tape. For someone so strong he should have scored just before half time as well. Better performance but welcome back R. Horne.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
The most irritating decision for me was with 5mins or so to go and Fitzpatrick I think it was made a break through the middle of the field. Wanneburg ?? lies over the top of the ruck and slows the ball down. Jonker yells at him to let it go which he eventually does, but he has already killed all momentum and while the Tahs spun the ball to the left all momentum was killed. Had to have been playing advantage and a kick at goal would have levelled it up.

Before PB comes on (Im assuming he still sits on his high horse ;) ) Im not blaming Jocker for the loss as given the number of warnings and penalties he gave to the Tahs (some of them unjustifiably) he should have sent someone to the bin and there were some strange calls both ways.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boet the closest you find me on a horse is when I drive my oxwagon. You make it sound if Jonker was kak I think he did OK. Go watch the Cheetah game to see how a Qouta ref destroy a rugby match. Thedefense of both teams Buls and Tahs were disappointing!

Status
Not open for further replies.