• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Byrnes gets 10 Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
never got over the Giteau thing did you. Would you like a tissue?

The what thing?

I'm simply referring to the well documented off the ball stuff the Force have been up to in the last 2 local derbies.

Charles was nearly binned in the first game, and they kept up with it against the Reds.

I suggested in the match thread that they need to do away with that rubbish and focus on playing rugby...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Adam Byrnes deserves it. A number of times during the game he tried to get under the skin of players from the Waratahs with dirty play, as posted before he is a 'serial pest' have fun sitting out for 10 weeks.

Many deserve special treatment but to hand out penalties unsuported by evidence of an offence is not something we want to contemplate lest players like Gregan get wiped from the game for being mouthy and unpopular with Officialdom on the paddock. As for being a serial pest, so many here harped on about that sort of quality being a missing ingredient from the Wallabies and that same pestilential is applauded by many Tahs fans in Carter himself, who tends to niggle and leave while Byrnes niggles and fights.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Was hard to tell what happened, in the heat of the moment, someon poking you in an eye is always going to get a response, thought the white card on the field was th right call.

Obviously there is footage or reason to believe he wass at least rekless if nit had intent to go for the face as a result I don mind the suspension as long as there consistent with it.

W

Waylon

Watch the tape

The bloke can't help niggling off the ball. Every time he's on film he's niggling someone

There's a difference between hitting people hard with legitimate tackles, cleaning out legitimately and running the ball hard..........and kicking people on the ground, wiping your boots in their face, pushing their heads in the ground and raking their eyes etc etc

It takes a lot of discipline not to punch him.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If an eye gouge didn't occur, then some of the evidence must be dodgy. Byrnes and the Rebels should call the Tahs out on it.

But if an eye gouge did occur, the ban seems reasonable. The IRB want to get this stuff out of the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Seriously, if a player thinks they have been gouged, they ought to report it. The ref gave the white card, specifically the situation for which it is intended.
The citing commissioner took action, based on evidence to which we do not have access.
Tom Carter did not cite him.
The Tahs did not cite him.
Some of the shit on here bordering on trivialising raking / gouging / attacking the eyes because nothing bad really happened is beyond belief.
As Sully said, keep on track, and any provincial based rubbish will be short-lived.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't care who the players involved are, IF they have enough evidence to prove gouging then 10 weeks is the minimum someone should get. Gouging has no place in rugby.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I haven't seen the footage, but I hope this isn't an instance of them feeling they have to do something because a white card was shown and have to justify it's existance.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I haven't seen the footage, but I hope this isn't an instance of them feeling they have to do something because a white card was shown and have to justify it's existance.

Nobody should post "I haven't seen the footage, but......" The citing commissioner and the judiciary have seen the footage, whatever it is like, and have formed a conclusion. It is legitimate to argue "I have seen all the footage and I disagree with the outcome of the citing because....." But to say "I haven't seen the incident but I suspect they are covering their arses", which is the thrust of the post, is just libellous and mean-spirited.

Last year I argued that several decisions by the judiciary were inconsistent and unnecessarily lenient. In my opinion the citing process was terribly unjust and risked someone being seriously injured by failing to clamp down where it was appropriate. But I did so after viewing the games in question at the time and in replay.

This is G&GR, not some forum where people can post whatever abuse they feel like just because they are on a keyboard.

End of rant.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
From what I read the commissioner based the written testimony of TC and the Tahs doc.

So I'm not sure they saw more footage than anyone else.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From what I read the commissioner based the written testimony of TC and the Tahs doc.

So I'm not sure they saw more footage than anyone else.

I got the same impression. All the footage I've seen, including the myriad of replays that they showed on the replay of the game, was inconclusive.

I am guessing that the footage seen by the commissioner was inconclusive, too, as they said (bolding mine):

There was sufficient evidence to support that contact had been made with the right eye and bridge of the nose...

The Rebels are appealing that it was accidental, and the footage definitely supports that it was (unlike my avatar!). However, I don't think it matters, really, as intent doesn't need to be proven. If you drag your hand across someone's eyes, like Byrnes did, you are asking for trouble.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Four and a half hours is a long time so maybe not that clear cut.
Especially when you see the evidence from the time Eales was eye gouged by the French player in a World Cup game.
Whats done is done. Would like to see a lot of 'off the ball' crap in the last two rounds stopped. Play rugby and get on with the game. If your good enough, and your team is good enough, you will get the points.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not condoning Byrnes at all, but it is interesting to note that Schalk Burger did far, far worse by wailing on David Pocock's face and eye area not once, not twice but 7 times in a game a couple of months ago and was not even cited...... go figure. And Burger is a guy with big form with this type of thing.
There seems to be no consistency.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
The hearing went for 4 and a half hours.

Clearly there was a lot more to it than the single inconclusive replay that the speculation in this thread is based on.

Surely if there was more evidence (hence a clearer cut case) it woud've been a shorter hearing usually? Unless some extra evidence was introduced late, it seemed like many of the judges needed convincing. I'm not saying they were wrong in the decision, but saying a long hearing means there was more evidence is not 100% true.

Status
Not open for further replies.