• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Byrnes gets 10 Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Obviously Charles is still hurting from the fact that he was handed over by the Brumbies to play over in that backwards part of the country...

3 hours behind doesn't quite sum up the mentality of the Perth lot...

I had an ex from Perth and on one flight she took back there the captain said "Please set your watches back 3 hours and 10 years."

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Obviously Charles is still hurting from the fact that he was handed over by the Brumbies to play over in that backwards part of the country...

Hah! You would love to have him back. As soon as Stephen Moore gets injured you guys are up the creek.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It was a push ffs, not a punch. Beau was hanging onto Palu and he tried to get him off. Beau was illegally obstructing him.
"Hit" was your word - not mine.

You'll get no argument from me that Beau wasn't fishing for a reaction - he was. But to bring this back to the Byrnes topic, Cliffy deliberately and aggressively grabbed Beau's face. Going by the same criteria that Byrnes has been judged on by posts in this forum, (ie dubious past and not necessarily Super Rugby past, and contact with the face - regardless of intent or damage) Cliffy should be having a long term break as well.

I don't for a second think that Cliffy should be suspended or even cited for that matter - there was nothing in it. What I am trying to illustrate is the folly of some of the arguments against Byrnes. It should not matter one bit if he is a "serial pest"; his Super Rugby judiciary record is the only prior form that should be considered. And the fact that his hand is across the face of TC only, is not evidence of an eye gouge. If they rubbed out for 10 weeks, every player that came into contact with anothers players face during a game, the franchises would be trotting out thier U13B's as thier premier side by week 5.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Appeal is now official:

Friday 9th March 2012

SANZAR NEWS RELEASE

Adam Byrnes Appeals SANZAR Judicial Sanction

Adam Byrnes of the Rebels has lodged an appeal against the outcome of a SANZAR Judicial Hearing held on Sunday 4th March at which he was suspended for Ten weeks after being found guilty of foul play.

Byrnes was alleged to have contravened Law 10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship - making contact with the eye, after he was cited following a Super Rugby match between the Rebels and the Waratahs at AAMI Stadium on Friday 2nd March 2012.

A SANZAR Appeals Committee, chaired by Lex Mpati with Nick Davidson and Terry Willis as members will hear the appeal via videoconference on Tuesday 13 March 2012: ADST: 6pm, NZDT: 8pm, SAST: 9am

Ends

Issued by SANZAR

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
He has lodged an apeal against the 'outcome'. So does this mean he has admitted the contact but is appealing the length of the suspension?

Mr Timms, since you are the lord of the laws, is there anywhere in the laws or clarifications that allow for dangerous play to be accidential and therefore attract lesser sanctions? Not only in this particular law but others as well. Just noticed that the tackle that got the Bulls player suspended for one week (name escapes me right now) didn't seem all that worse then some of the others that resulted in the players leaving their feet. Not condoning the tackle, think he should have got suspended for it, just wondering why some of the others weren't looked at.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From what I'm hearing, they are going to argue that his contact is no different from a number of other similar incidents that didn't warrant citation or probably in some cases even a penalty.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, it is hard to say. I will have a browse through the book and see what sticks out.
From what I'm hearing, they are going to argue that his contact is no different from a number of other similar incidents that didn't warrant citation or probably in some cases even a penalty.
I have heard the same thing.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Yeah, Canberra is god's own country compared to WA. All those unspoilt beaches, national parks and a mediterranean climate to die for......

;)

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Appeal verdict reserved. Guess they are trying to figure out what verdict will cause the least shitstorm.

SANZAR NEWS RELEASE

Adam Byrnes Judgement Reserved

A SANZAR Appeals Committee has reserved its judgement at an Appeal hearing held by video conference on 13th March, 2012.

Adam Byrnes lodged an appeal after he was found guilty of contravening Law 10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship – making contact with the eye and suspended for ten weeks. Byrnes faced a Judicial Hearing after he was cited following a Super Rugby match between the Rebels and the Waratahs at AAMI Stadium Melbourne on the 2nd March 2012.

The SANZAR Appeals Committee hearing chaired by Nicholas Davidson QC (Quade Cooper) received submissions during a five-hour hearing at which further oral and video evidence was considered. The Appeals Committee reserved its decision and indicated it may not be released for several days.

Ends

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Exactly. Lets go back and check all the 24 incidents (purely made up number by me) that Byrne's defense submitted showing similar actions for no penalty, card or hearing, and decide if we can somehow convince ourselves that this one was different (apart from the obvious difference of another player complaining and utilisation of the white card system).

If they decide that Byrnes is the new standard, I will expect multiple suspensions every week.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No-one here knows TC's evidence. He might have said: he held me on the ground and repeatedly dug his fingers into my eyes. All we've got is dodgy video which stops just when it gets interesting.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed Scarf. And they really can only review the 3 rounds that have been played since the introduction on the white card system. I wonder how they are going to handle incidents that are identified as being as bad or worse and were not reported/cited. I am guessing that this is what the system is going to have to find out. Like changes in legislation, not until it is tested do we know the true outcome.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Appeal verdict reserved. Guess they are trying to figure out what verdict will cause the least shitstorm.

Well, you would have to figure they won't reduce it below two weeks given that Byrnes will probably have to sit out two matches (last week and this week) and that wouldn't reflect well on the judiciary. Davidson QC (Quade Cooper) is probably too canny to let that happen. So between 2 and 10 weeks then.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No-one here knows TC's evidence. He might have said: he held me on the ground and repeatedly dug his fingers into my eyes. All we've got is dodgy video which stops just when it gets interesting.

It is still his evidence though, isn't it? One player says one thing, the other says something else (at least that is likely what has happened).

And based on history with this sort of 'attacking the face' being let off (eg Burger on Pocock) despite there being clear vision of it, it seems reasonable to follow that the complaint of the player led to a greater chance of sanction (by ensuring the white card was used and thus ensuring it would be brought to a judiciary). I'm not saying Carter did the wrong thing at all, but I do believe a lot of this stuff just gets ignored by officials that shouldn't be.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is still his evidence though, isn't it? One player says one thing, the other says something else (at least that is likely what has happened).

And based on history with this sort of 'attacking the face' being let off (eg Burger on Pocock) despite there being clear vision of it, it seems reasonable to follow that the complaint of the player led to a greater chance of sanction (by ensuring the white card was used and thus ensuring it would be brought to a judiciary). I'm not saying Carter did the wrong thing at all, but I do believe a lot of this stuff just gets ignored by officials that shouldn't be.

If this is the case it is a bit of a worry.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Is the difference with the Burger incident that Pocock never made a complaint about it?

From the outside, it appears to me that there was a lot more video evidence against burger than there was against byrnes, so it isn't an illogical conclusion to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.