• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Byrnes gets 10 Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thanks "WaratahJesus"

I dont think it is quite accurate to state that Carter didn't engage the media. He engaged the world wide media by making a potentially defamatory comment that Byrnes eye gouged him.

According to the laws of the game he hasn't breached them so it's fair game.

But he DID think Byrnes eye-gouged him. Are you accusing Carter of fabricating the incident?

Carter did the right thing. He made the complaint without taking action on the field, and left it to pass through the official channels. Byrnes should ahve done the same.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Oh and as to an apology if someone accuses you of something which at the end of the day has been found to have to not been proven then yes it deserves an apology.

Bullshit. Court cases get overturned on appeal all the time. Do you think the court then issues a formal apology to the accused?

Byrnes is a big boy, I'm sure he will survive. FFS it's not like he was accused of murder and sentenced to jail time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh and as to an apology if someone accuses you of something which at the end of the day has been found to have to not been proven then yes it deserves an apology.

You should tell that to every woman who accuses someone of sexual assault and doesn't win because it is a he said/she said argument and there isn't enough evidence.

I'm sure you'd make lots of friends.

Maybe you should also write a letter to the families of Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ronald Goldman and tell them they should apologise to OJ Simpson.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can understand how Byrnes would be angry at Carter. I certainly would be.

I would be more angry at the system that allowed this though. Going from 10 weeks to nothing is just ridiculous. He should have got a few weeks in the first place, and everyone would have thought that was a just result.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
SANZAR Issues Byrnes Apology

SANZAR CEO Greg Peters has officially apologised to Dimitry Medvedev and Vladamir Putin for the "Byrnesgate" debacle.

"I would like to apologise on behalf of all members of the SANZAR alliance to the men, women and children of Mother Russia and obviously to Adam" said Peters.

Cossack warrior Byrnes had been suspended for a sensational 10 weeks by the SANZAR judiciary after serial pest and complainer, Tom Carter, made the amazing complaint of eye-gouging on-field.

While Carter did have some faint signs of trauma in the peri-orbito-ocular area, the video evidence appears to suggest Waratah team doctor Sharon Flahive may have slapped Carter after an unwanted buttock pat.

Flahive has since related that Carter is seeing a psychologist and that his team-mates have sponsored his ongoing therapy.

Byrnes states he is looking forward to returning to super rugby next week. He was heard to say "Мой 56 детей домой в матушку-Россию принять все мои платежи матчадержать поставляется в водке.".

Ah. Time for another White Rabbit ale.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bullshit. Court cases get overturned on appeal all the time. Do you think the court then issues a formal apology to the accused?

Byrnes is a big boy, I'm sure he will survive. FFS it's not like he was accused of murder and sentenced to jail time.

Pretty sure apologies are issued if a wrongly convicted is sentenced and serves time, then is overturned later.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't believe I'm saying this... but...

I'm really looking forward to the next Rebels v Tahs match!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tom Carter will be running out in sports goggles.
jabbar_200_070423.jpg

R

Rugby rebel

Thanks "Barbarian" and "Braveheart". With all due respect I think you are missing the point. This charge had the potential to ruin somone's career. What Carter said regarding Adam on the field is most probably defamatory. So yes put yourself in Adam's shoes (if you can). You have been wrongly accused of one of the worst offences in rugby. Your name has been linked with eye gouging. Weighing all that up yes I most certainly think that Carter should apologise forthwith.

R

Rugby rebel

I think people have to realise that you can't go around making false allegations against people and then expect there to be no consequences.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That is just completely incorrect.

There is still nothing to suggest that Tom Carter wasn't justified in making his complaint. He had a cut around his eye and had felt someone attack his eye with their hand.

He didn't wrongly accuse Byrnes. He thought the incident had occurred and he told his captain and then they told the referee. He followed the correct procedure in the situation.

Call it an unfortunate incident for all concerned, but the only party who is genuinely in the wrong is SANZAR for making a dubious decision and then overturning it.

There is still absolutely nothing that suggests that it was a false accusation. Absolutely nothing.

R

Rugby rebel

Sorry "Braveheart" I'm afraid there is something that suggests it was a false accusation. That is the appeal judgment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry "Braveheart" I'm afraid there is something that suggests it was a false accusation. That is the appeal judgment.

The relevant bit of the appeal judgement.

"The Appeal Committee then addressed the allegation of breach as a re-hearing. It brought to account the evidence available, including extensive but inconclusive video coverage. Applying the standard of proof required under the Rules, the Appeal Committee concluded that it could not be said that a breach of the Laws occurred to the requisite standard as an act of recklessness which involved contact with the eye area. This was a serious allegation and must be clearly established on the balance of probabilities."

This clearly states that there wasn't enough evidence to prove the allegation. It doesn't say in any way that it was a false accusation.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The accusation was proven to be false. Nothing else to say.

And also, just because a charge is dismissed it doesn't mean it was a false allegation.

And let me ask you again- are you accusing Tom Carter of fabricating the eye gouge?

If so how did he pick up the cuts around his eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.