• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It comes down to the definition of tyro.

Georgina Robinson used the word in a tweet and article about Sam Carter, and this started a short but fairly intense discussion on the Wallaby Watch Thread about the use of tyro in the context of Sam Carter.

Our Super donkey as described by the illustrious Georgina Robinson:

TYRO Wallaby Sam Carter tipped to face All blacks in Rugby Championship opener.

Glad she letting us know what she really thinks.

TYRO (definition): a person who has just started learning or doing something : a beginner or novice; a person who is just starting out in a field of activity

Trying to work out of its a cheap shot, veiled insult or poor journalism. IMHO its pretty harsh for any player of proven Wallabies standard to be described like this.

Quality journalism at its best. Her first edit of this story (see twitter for the funny tweet) was to name the correct player - Tom Carter? Wow so similar to Sam I am not surprised she got mixed up!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ugby-championship-opener-20140807-101e5y.html

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking at the NRC launch, Vikings would be feeling pretty justified having not utilised the traditional ACT colour scheme....

colour%20swatches.jpg

Unfortunately when the teams went to put in their orders, they only had the yellow colour swatch to pick from.

"Knock on into touch by numer 3 canary yellow. What's your option school bus yellow? Scrum or lineout?"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thankfully they're all kitted out in Asics, otherwise..........

"We have a report of a high tackle by BLK gold on CCC gold."

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Just to be clear, who's nicknamed Tyros?

The answer you seek is Sam Carter.

Expressing an opinion has resulted in some in the forums deciding to apply the word as a nickname for Sam. The word has a connotation to age of the person being described. An example of its use from the Oxford dictionary: “I would, and do, recommend this as the best book for the tyro, the student, the general reader, and even, in a revisionary context, for the expert”.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still can't believe that out of the options of Super Donkey and tyro, you thought tyro was the offensive one!

T

Train Without a Station

It would be akin to me reading Horwill described as a "veteran" and saying that it mast be a swipe and James saying he's well past it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It would be akin to me reading Horwill described as a "veteran" and saying that it mast be a swipe and James saying he's well past it.

I think you have the wrong thread,
Ironically, since the announcement of the Wallabies squad and Horwill missing out, this topic has been discussed in the Wallabies / Reds forums.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It comes down to the definition of tyro.

Georgina Robinson used the word in a tweet and article about Sam Carter, and this started a short but fairly intense discussion on the Wallaby Watch Thread about the use of tyro in the context of Sam Carter.

Dibber- dobber! :rolleyes:

The temptation of a witty retort about the power of a word.......its use.........the debate that can stem from interpretation and use of some words ......but alas I don't have any evidence or example to back up my opinion........and I took the advice given in the forum last week; move on from my self created storm in tea cup that nobody cares about.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
http://www.brumbies.com.au/ucvikings/Home.aspx

What does everyone think of the website?? And the jersey Speight is wearing

Websites quite good for a new product and hope that it continues to be populated with more information and continues to be updated.

The Jersey looks like its well tailored and Asics have made a fairly good product. Seems to fit well and be apt for the site. I think the rest of what could be said doesn't need to be said.:p

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking at the NRC launch, Vikings would be feeling pretty justified having not utilised the traditional ACT colour scheme....

Might go some way to help settle the debate about the colour(s) - picture tell a thousands words and next to the other teams people may reconsider the choice.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Vikings have the best jersey and the best name.

We kill rams we take spirit and burn city's or countries.. And stars are for fake wishes and we fish for Rays..

Carn UC Vikings!!!

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Vikings have the best jersey and the best name.

We kill rams we take spirit and burn city's or countries.. And stars are for fake wishes and we fish for Rays..

Carn UC Vikings!!!

So the conquest starts!

The Perth spirit in a few weekends time - they will be going home with that empty feeling after the UC Vikings pillage them of everything including every last ounce of spirit they possessed.

The only spirit they will ever find after the game is the one that will visit them every night for for seasons to come; the spirit of "games past".

These visits from the spirit of "games past" will leave a imprint in their minds for all the days to come.....and in time, the players will warn those players yet to face the UC Vikings of what they will experience.

In describing the horror that is to be faced, they will describe "that nightmarish image" which hunts them.........

Canberra_Vikings_logo_page_image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.