• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He is taller than that but you're right not the tallest second rower going around! He was better than the 6 foot 8 second rower we had come this year who somehow got at itm contract. Wouldn't think Cree would be much taller than 6'2 but he has been picked in the second row, granted he is a more talented player than Toby but he won't get through the amount of 'shit' work that is required from a second rower! And before everyone tells me on Sunday how wrong I am about this team, I have no doubt it will be a good team, I would say they are favourites for the title based on the amount if Brumbies talent they have!

So you going to go down and watch ? You seem to be a fan of rugby :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Obviously a massive fan! Thinking of driving to Sydney to watch the eagles play!

Has Queanbeyan thought of aligning them selfs with the Eagles instead of the Vikings ? I don't know how something like that would work but it could give 2 pathways into the NRC and into Super Rugby.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Has Queanbeyan thought of aligning them selfs with the Eagles instead of the Vikings ? I don't know how something like that would work but it could give 2 pathways into the NRC and into Super Rugby.

Wouldn't be the worst idea. The eagles have assembled a nice squad this year but I picture them as fluctuating the most of the sides.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It would be utterly silly, and potentially suicidal for Queanbeyan to turn against the Brumbies and their John I Dent Cup partners............

I find it a bit sad that Grant Jones long running bitterness towards Vikings would lead him to barrack against his own team.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
The thought has crossed my mind, I'm sure they would def be interested in having a player of Penca's quality in their squad and as suggested it is another pathway for some players. There is obviously not enough room in the Vikings squad given the amount of Brumbies players. Not sure that it is seen as turning against the Brumbies, let's be honest it's a Tuggeranong team, if the Brumbies had any balls they would not of let this happen. I know a lot of people on here just see me as a whinger, but I don't think some realise how disheartening this has been for true club rugby people here in Canberra. I would love nothing more than to head to Viking park tomorrow and watch a local team in a great new competition, but I feel no connection to it given the way it has been founded!

T

Train Without a Station

if the Brumbies had any balls they would not of let this happen

Ummm No. If they had any money they wouldn't have let this happen.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I get that that's the company line, but how come the Force and Rebels can afford it and the Brumbies can't?
And the QRU managed to get 2 teams off the ground! Hopefully some day the other 6 clubs can get together and get a team off the ground with the support and the Vikings can go it alone.

T

Train Without a Station

The QRU are also more (or actually are) profitable. Those sorts of things help.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Well Grant, all I can say is wait and see, I'm sure the team wasn't selected with the bias that it has been taken perceived as.

But lets hope more people are like Trevor

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/politics-sport-uc-vikings/

Then against it, or we may end up with no team o_O
He certainly does make some valid points, all of which I have considered myself, why couldn't we have a team that everyone was for and no one against like if they bought the Kookaburras back? I get the financials of it and realise that the game needs the money that Vikings have, but if they were genuinely for the better of the game why could they do what the QBN leagues club did back in the early 80's and financially support a team that didn't have their own name and colours?

T

Train Without a Station

Rabodirect have extended their sponsorship of the Rebels to include the Rising. I'm not shocked that the commercial sponsorship opportunities are greater in Melbourne than they are in Canberra.

T

Train Without a Station

Probably because if they were going to throw in the cash they wanted exposure for their commercial brand.

When the Seagulls club sponsored the Gold Coast Giants and made them the Gold Coast Seagulls in the NSWRL nobody seemed opposed to it.

I guess tall poppy syndrome is just more prevalent in 2014.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He certainly does make some valid points, all of which I have considered myself, why couldn't we have a team that everyone was for and no one against like if they bought the Kookaburras back? I get the financials of it and realise that the game needs the money that Vikings have, but if they were genuinely for the better of the game why could they do what the QBN leagues club did back in the early 80's and financially support a team that didn't have their own name and colours?

Although, I would say, you go to Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne etc and ask a Rugby guy who the Vikings are or who the Kookaburra's are you would get that Canberra is the Vikings and they wouldnt know who the Kooks where. Not sure if people in the other states would know they were the Tuggernong Vikings, but the Vikings name has been known as the Canberra team for a while now.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Although, I would say, you go to Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne etc and ask a Rugby guy who the Vikings are or who the Kookaburra's are you would get that Canberra is the Vikings and they wouldnt know who the Kooks where. Not sure if people in the other states would know they were the Tuggernong Vikings, but the Vikings name has been known as the Canberra team for a while now.
So why do all the other teams have new names and not one directly connected to a local club side, wouldn't take long to recognise a new team name!

T

Train Without a Station

Not really. That would be the same as the University of Melbourne partnership I'd say.

Clearly the money from the Vikings was needed. If the team is not called the Vikings, what exactly do they get out of it? Their logo at the top corner of the web page? Seems worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.