• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree. Spirit came to play footie today and deserved the win by far. They were the better team today. I thought the Vikings set piece was good, and running mauls went well. We just didn't seem to capitalise. We were lacking in defence and at the breakdown. Well done Spirit!

I actually wonder if this might be a bit of a wake up call for some of the Brumbies in the team that its not a step down and not a working holiday. The newbie's are coming for them, targeting them and want to take them down to prove their worth so they are going to have to be at their best.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Putting aside what actually happened in the game ... it was sad to see kids wearing Marist rugby shirts cheering loudly for the Spirit. Local Canberra school, big rugby background and supporting the opposition. Maybe they are pissy that no one from their school was selected for the Vikings?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I actually wonder if this might be a bit of a wake up call for some of the Brumbies in the team that its not a step down and not a working holiday. The newbie's are coming for them, targeting them and want to take them down to prove their worth so they are going to have to be at their best.

Don't like to harp, but Jesse Mogg really had a below-par game. He can be a devastating runner but lately his first inclination is to kick rather than challenge the line. Time to see how he would go on the wing where he would have less opportunity for kicking and more encouragement to use his speed and stepping game.

Or, I wonder, is it a problem with coaching and game plan? Seems to have simply carried over the worst of the game plan from the Brumbies. This competition is supposed to highlight the running, attacking style of rugby but it wasn't evident at all yesterday.

Reactions: mst

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe someone can also shed some light on what Fotu was doing in the back field receiving kicks at one point?

Having a big number8 receiving a kick with a 20m run up is not a new tactic.

Didn't see the game so maybe the execution was poor but the tactic is sound.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Having a big number8 receiving a kick with a 20m run up is not a new tactic.

Didn't see the game so maybe the execution was poor but the tactic is sound.

Execution left something to be desired but mainly due to the committed defense by the Spirit. Later in the game Fotu started to get some go forward in the tackles but it was late.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Team to play the Rams

1. Les Makin
2. Lala Lam
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Tom Staniforth
5. Tim Cree
6. Jordan Smiler
7. Jarrad Butler (vc)
8. Fotu Auelua ©
9. Michael Dowsett
10. Isaac Thompson
11. Robbie Coleman (vc)
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Nigel Ahwong
14. Brendon Taueki
15. Jesse Mogg

Replacements
16. Mitch Wade
17. JP Smith
18. Ruan Smith
19. Tom Cusack
20. Sean Doyle
21. Edan Campbell-O’Brien
22. Jake Rakic
23. Jerome Niumata

B

Brumby Jack the 2nd

Surely it's time for someone other than Mogg to have a run at 15? His form has been terrible

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Having two props of the smith's caliber on the bench will be useful in what is likely a wet track. The Rams scrummaged quite well at times against the Eagles but were in roller skates by the end.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Tom Cusack turned but to training with team just yesterday from 7's commitments. Interesting to see who he'll replace if he gets a run?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So the front row gets changed completely for this match. And a change at wing. Hope it signals a change of game plan away from the kick at all times. It didn't work last week and this comp is meant to be encouraging open, running rugby. Can't see that the front row was responsible for that though.

I thought both our wingers last game were a bit on the small, light side. Would like to see Robbie get some time a bit closer in and Jesse Mogg on the wing where he might not be so inclined to kick the pill away and where his speed and step could be utilised.

Otherwise, good to see Butler back. Think he bends the line a bit better than Fotu has been lately. Christian needs to pull the finger out as well. A few errors from him last week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Any news on when the team for Saturday will be announced? Any word on possible changes? Could see Cusack getting a start on last week's effort. When does Rodney Iona come in from injury? Could be a show to start at 10 as an alternative to Thompson.

Like to see Dowsett with a bit more urgency at scrum time. Got pinged last week for one slow feed, amongst many, and I'm not sure about the way he seems to drop the ball at the LH prop's feet rather than feeding to the hooker.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Could see Cusack getting a start on last week's effort.
Unfortunately he went off injured. Dominated in the short time he was on the field. Looked like it was his knee again? Any news?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Iona is back this week, but personally I think Thompson has been one of the Vikings best these first two rounds and doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Would also like to see Aus 20s scrum half Joe Powell get good game time when he returns from injury to put pressure on Dowsett.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is probably not the best place to post this, but could someone tell me if ANU has any rugby presence in Canberra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.