• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Benn Robinson did that last year. It does surprise me that players opt to do this when their careers are so short and it gives another player an opportunity to take their place.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Benn Robinson did that last year. It does surprise me that players opt to do this when their careers are so short and it gives another player an opportunity to take their place.

The best way to extend that short career, is to take your leave.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So, no Alex Horan...

http://ucvikings.com.au/NewsStory/t...bies-great-joins-UC-Vikings-for-2016-NRC.aspx

Alex Horan, the son of Wallabies great Tim Horan, has linked with the University of Canberra Vikings for the 2016 National Rugby Championship.

The talented playmaker was identified by both UC Vikings Coaching Staff and Brumbies Pathways Staff as a player with great potential in Australian Rugby.

Like Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano and UC Vikings teammate Nick Jooste, Horan has moved to Canberra as a teenager in a bid to further his Rugby prospects as a top playmaker.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I dunno whether Sot (Son of Tim) will fulfill that potential or not. Hopefully he does.

But the Brumbies seem to have a better record of selecting Queensland-produced players than the Reds.

lhBiE.gif

Look of disappointment on the wallaby's face after his food has been nicked!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies situation next year could mean that Jooste has to be fast tracked and that Horan is in a similar position to what Jooste was in 2016

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was very impressed with Nick Jooste's handling of the No 10 spot against Qld Country. He, more than any other No 10 at any level in Aus rugby lately, ran to the line before off loading and really set the backline on fire on quite a few occasions. He also has a massive boot and is adequate at goal kicking. It was a very pleasing aspect of the Vikings game all round. If he keeps it up, or continues to improve, he will nail down the Brumbies No 10 spot next year I believe. And if I recall correctly, he still has one, maybe two, years at U20s level in front of him. Brumbies will probably do a 'Gill' on him though.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry but i thought the NRC was to give club blokes the chance at the next level, not so for the Canberra team, who sign blokes out of a Queensland colts comp, so apparently that is a better comp than our our first grade. If he is so good why havent either two of the queensland teams picked him up? One of which was played against on the weekend who are clearly a level below. Fair enough the Brumbies might want him, that's fine but he shouldn't take a NRC spot at the expense of someone locally getting a chance. Funny that Tuggeranong have already got him signed up for next season, wonder if Thompson or him will get the nod at 10!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The purpose of the ACT NRC team is to put the Brumbies of 2017 in the best possible position.

This can mean:
  1. Giving a local a run.
  2. Giving a brumby who hasn't had much of a go that year a run.
  3. Bringing in a prospect from elsewhere to get a good look at him in your environment.
I just don't see the confusion.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
The purpose of the ACT NRC team is to put the Brumbies of 2017 in the best possible position.

This can mean:
  1. Giving a local a run.
  2. Giving a brumby who hasn't had much of a go that year a run.
  3. Bringing in a prospect from elsewhere to get a good look at him in your environment.
I just don't see the confusion.
Well it shouldn't be, NRC teams shouldn't just be an arm of a super rugby program, it makes a very unfair competition particularly for the 3 nsw teams. If it should be like this it should be a 5 team competition that are just super rugby teams without their wallaby players!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The NRC teams are a development tool for the Super Rugby teams and the players.

They are not a representative team for the local rugby competition.

Whilst plenty of the best local rugby players will get an opportunity in the NRC that isn't the sole selection criteria.

The players are not confined to just their most local team just as the teams are not confined to only their local players in terms of who they can select.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Posted this in the John I Dent thread but Ryan Jones must be unable to play/turned a spot down in the Vikings/Griffins side? - being the form 6 in the comp all year was surprised to not see him at least the Griffins squad. . . .

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Is anyone keen to name a Griffins side.

Here is my go

1 Nick Dobson
2 Connal McInerney
3 Ray Dobson
4 Darcy Swain
5 Ben McGee
6 Chris Coyle
7 Daniel Penca
8 Brodie Leber,
9 Mitch Douch
10 Billy Chalker
11 Jamie Kotz
12 Pat Tuidraki
13 Jake Rakic
14 Eli Sinoti
15 Isaac Thompson

Reserves
Neori Nadruku
Toby Wilson
Carl Elliot
Steve Sione,
Brendon Woodward
Rocky Ilolahaia
Luke Duffy
Edan Campbell-O’Brien

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
The NRC teams are a development tool for the Super Rugby teams and the players.

They are not a representative team for the local rugby competition.

Whilst plenty of the best local rugby players will get an opportunity in the NRC that isn't the sole selection criteria.

The players are not confined to just their most local team just as the teams are not confined to only their local players in terms of who they can select.
I see you are from Sydney where there are plenty of spots for local talent given the three teams, if there was one team that was used primarily for preparation for the super rugby season you might hold a different view!

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
I see you are from Sydney where there are plenty of spots for local talent given the three teams, if there was one team that was used primarily for preparation for the super rugby season you might hold a different view!
Jamie Kotz was recently named in Rugby News as one of the best 10 unsigned talents in Australian rugby, yet can't get a game in the match day squad!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is anyone keen to name a Griffins side.

Here is my go

1 Nick Dobson
2 Connal McInerney
3 Ray Dobson
4 Darcy Swain
5 Ben McGee
6 Chris Coyle
7 Daniel Penca
8 Brodie Leber,
9 Mitch Douch
10 Billy Chalker
11 Jamie Kotz
12 Pat Tuidraki
13 Jake Rakic
14 Eli Sinoti
15 Isaac Thompson

Reserves
Neori Nadruku
Toby Wilson
Carl Elliot
Steve Sione,
Brendon Woodward
Rocky Ilolahaia
Luke Duffy
Edan Campbell-O’Brien

Quality side!

Still wonder where Ryan Jones is and saying that JR aswell from Queanbeyan - these guys are stand outs and the only thing I can think of is they have had other commitments after the John I Dent season.

Still not sold on the Dobson brothers, nor players like Chris Coyle - is he being selected due to form this season or is he being selected due to him being a college football star in America? Wasn't he playing 2nd grade alot of last year?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Jamie Kotz was recently named in Rugby News as one of the best 10 unsigned talents in Australian rugby, yet can't get a game in the match day squad!

Totally agree mate - players like Kotz need to be just put into the starting 23 - the Brumbies players are developed (well most of them) - if they sit on the bench or sit out a game for a young guy like Kotz to play this is a must.

I still believe that we need two NRC sides in Canberra - the Canberra Vikings and the Griffins -

Canberra Vikings made up of -

Vikings
Royals
Easts
Brumbies

Griffins -

Queanbeyan
Eagles
Wests
Brumbies

And also open to selection of other Brumby region players such as Monaro, Southern Inland.

*** For example

We have the player depth to easily make up 2 sides and I think its needed for the development of club rugby all the way up to Brumby Rugby which is I think going to struggle the next few years from a depth perspective - unless they start to recruit outside of Australia - i.e South Africa, New Zealand - which they will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.