• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've still got a gripe, big surprise I know! Bit confused if the director or coaching at the Vikings are picking the best club players or picking them for development reasons?

You 'gripe' about a certain player as a means of justifying your stance. Mention that Rugby News has him as one of their 10 most talented unsigned talents and when it appears the Vikings have recruited him you quickly rush to move the goal posts from whinging about not giving local talent a look in to whether they are doing so on talent or development potential.

You are aware that selecting the best club players as a means to develop them go hand in hand with the NRC alongside providing more opportunity for signed talent.

I doubt it would matter whether or not the Vikings were entirely club source. You'd 'gripe' regardless.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
You 'gripe' about a certain player as a means of justifying your stance. Mention that Rugby News has him as one of their 10 most talented unsigned talents and when it appears the Vikings have recruited him you quickly rush to move the goal posts from whinging about not giving local talent a look in to whether they are doing so on talent or development potential.

You are aware that selecting the best club players as a means to develop them go hand in hand with the NRC alongside providing more opportunity for signed talent.

I doubt it would matter whether or not the Vikings were entirely club source. You'd 'gripe' regardless.
Yeah you are probably right, I don't agree with how the whole thing is run. I'm glad there are more club blokes getting a chance. My question is more around the club players getting used, on one hand taula is picked because he is the best prop going around despite the fact he is well over 30, but on the other hand Darcy swain gets picked, he is clearly not the best player in his position currently, a future star for sure but those two selections contradict each other! The only thing in common is their local club I suppose! Where no one can argue with Kotz selection, he is both a star of the future and the best player in his position locally!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My question is more around the club players getting used, on one hand taula is picked because he is the best prop going around despite the fact he is well over 30, but on the other hand Darcy swain gets picked, he is clearly not the best player in his position currently, a future star for sure but those two selections contradict each other! The only thing in common is their local club I suppose!

Are you really that obtuse that you can't think of a reason why those two players would be picked for different reasons?

Or this part of your new parochial tin-foil conspiracy?

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are you really that obtuse that you can't think of a reason why those two players would be picked for different reasons?

Or this part of your new parochial tin-foil conspiracy?
No doubt players can get picked for different reasons. But surely club rugby should be used to develop blokes into first picked first graders before they get a shot at NRC level?

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
No doubt players can get picked for different reasons. But surely club rugby should be used to develop blokes into first picked first graders before they get a shot at NRC level?

Phil Kearns was the 2nd grade hooker at Randwick when selected for the Wallabies, and even then i would suggest that was at a higher level than the NRC...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Phil Kearns was the 2nd grade hooker at Randwick when selected for the Wallabies, and even then i would suggest that was at a higher level than the NRC.

In the amateur days of 1989 when there were only 3 (at a pinch) provincial teams and Eddie Jones was both the tahs and wicks hooker. As it was Kearns was playing plenty of 1st grade anyway.

So relevance not really there, in short.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where no one can argue with Kotz selection, he is both a star of the future and the best player in his position locally!

No I'd argue he is far from the 'best player in his position locally'. You've got a couple of pretty handy wingers at the Whites and even you would admit that the left winger at your favourite valley club is streets ahead of him at this point in time.

Kotz definitely had potential/'the tools' to be anything though.

In terms of consistency, I believe the phrase 'good mix of youth and experience' is a cliche for a reason.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
No I'd argue he is far from the 'best player in his position locally'. You've got a couple of pretty handy wingers at the Whites and even you would admit that the left winger at your favourite valley club is streets ahead of him at this point in time.

Kotz definitely had potential/'the tools' to be anything though.

In terms of consistency, I believe the phrase 'good mix of youth and experience' is a cliche for a reason.
We haven't got a winger as good as him! Jake is very impressive, on the end of a better backline though, Kotz would look better on the end of a backline as good as that!

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Maybe Kotz and Swain are pushing for an EPS spot or a lesser Training Contract over preseason.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He might get a go next week if the damage to Robbie Coleman's eye socket doesn't recover in time.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fair to sy the Vikings have had a yo yo season and at best will limp into the finals, then play the Eagles and get towelled up, again.

3 wins and 3 losses but the most alarming thing in those 3 losses is they have conceded around 60 points each time and could have easily lost to the Rams too.

Not sure the masses rotation of players is helping but giving guys a taste of higher levels of play is the aim of this comp but shipping 60 points may give some a harsh dose of reality.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BJ, there are quite a few out there today who are either over the hill or will never make the required standard. Compounded by a game plan that doesn't give anyone with a bit of talent much of a chance to show what they've got. Second half was better than the first, but can't win in the NRC without the ball.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure the masses rotation of players is helping but giving guys a taste of higher levels of play is the aim of this comp but shipping 60 points may give some a harsh dose of reality.

BJ, there are quite a few out there today who are either over the hill or will never make the required standard. Compounded by a game plan that doesn't give anyone with a bit of talent much of a chance to show what they've got. Second half was better than the first, but can't win in the NRC without the ball.

I agree with giving guys a go but BR's point is spot on.

Also at some point it need to be watchable and supporters able to subscribe.

Right now its undefinable if its a about giving guys an opportunity, a run for the Super Rugby guys, a trial for next years Brumbies or just a last minute thrown together half-arsed effort?

One thing is for certain is that winning the competition or even the shield is not on the agenda which sadly really makes it hard for spectator to give a crap IMHO.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One thing is for certain is that winning the competition or even the shield is not on the agenda which sadly really makes it hard for spectator to give a crap IMHO.

Whether that's true or not, it certainly is the perception. And that means it is extremely hard to build a supporter base and to keep the fans interested.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have two issues with JJH @mst, One, he is very small by rugby standards, and I see him being the new generation Robbie Coleman. Bigger centres will tend to dominate him over time. Then, I think he definitely has some defensive issues, missing quite a few one-on-one tackles. The second issue could just be a reflection of the first, of course.

I do think he has talent, but I don't think he has the physique to consistently make an impact at Super Rugby level.

To my mind, Taliauli had the more impressive season for a back.

T

TOCC

With the number of locks in the squad and the seemingly understrengthed backrow do you think there's a chance we may see one of the locks playing a bit of time at blindside flanker?

You're welcome Tom Staniforth, Vikings coach obviously taking suggestions from this thread

Reactions: mst
T

TOCC

I have two issues with JJH @mst, One, he is very small by rugby standards, and I see him being the new generation Robbie Coleman. Bigger centres will tend to dominate him over time. Then, I think he definitely has some defensive issues, missing quite a few one-on-one tackles. The second issue could just be a reflection of the first, of course.

I do think he has talent, but I don't think he has the physique to consistently make an impact at Super Rugby level.

To my mind, Taliauli had the more impressive season for a back.

Game plans and styles continue to evolve with new rules and law interpretations, in line with your comments, Nic Stiles seems to think Super Rugby is currently evolving to a more physical style, with fast line speeds and defensive patterns, it's his belief big physical players are needed to get across the advantage line..

Make of that what you will..

Status
Not open for further replies.