• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It all a matter of prospective,

Vikings only have a finite amount of spots for players to showcase any talent that is worthy of higher honourers, So the other JiD teams can provide opportunities for players to try to impress. It unlikely that the Vikings NRC or Brumbies will shun talent just because of the club they play for. The Vikings will want their NRC to be successful due to the investment so will want to make sure the get the results and to do that they will need the right players which may come from players who have other club allegiances.

The other JiD teams can also use the NRC investment to leaver off and grow without spending a cent.

Vikings will be very aware (as they have learnt to be) that they are, and will have nothing unless the other JiD teams survive and are at minimum competitive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It all a matter of prospective,

Vikings only have a finite amount of spots for players to showcase any talent that is worthy of higher honourers, So the other JiD teams can provide opportunities for players to try to impress. It unlikely that the Vikings NRC or Brumbies will shun talent just because of the club they play for. The Vikings will want their NRC to be successful due to the investment so will want to make sure the get the results and to do that they will need the right players which may come from players who have other club allegiances.

The other JiD teams can also use the NRC investment to leaver off and grow without spending a cent.

Vikings will be very aware (as they have learnt to be) that they are, and will have nothing unless the other JiD teams survive and are at minimum competitive.
To the extent of refusing to register players?? They'd be the first sporting club in the world to do that.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I have no loyalty to any club in Canberra, if I am there on a saturday I try and catch a local club game, as I do when I'm in Sydney or Brisbane. It just seems that the Vikings are damned if they do or damned if they don't, they have decided to invest heavily ito the NRC here, if they didn't and the Brumbies stopped supporting the team and it folded, then people would be complaining about them not doing it. At the end of the day, yes they have more to offer, why? Because they have been successful in business, every other club had the same and lost it through poor business. It is the same in Brisbane with UQ and Sunnybank, but the other clubs are still able to attrack players through other means. I think people just need to back the team and be thankful that there is one.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To the extent of refusing to register players?? They'd be the first sporting club in the world to do that.
Why would a player register with a club and put themselves behind other players depriving themselves of an opportunity instead of signing with another club? IIRC there was reports in the CBR times about players who did sign with other clubs deliberately to give themselves the chance.

We have already gone through this hyperbole previously and the reality appears to be that the detractors and critics are the one doing the damage and posing the most risk.

So far history shows the NRC team underpinned by the Vikings has been beneficial to Canberra rugby, local players despite those who stupidly oppose it and if they had there way we would have nothing.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why would a player register with a club and put themselves behind other players depriving themselves of an opportunity instead of signing with another club? IIRC there was reports in the CBR times about players who did sign with other clubs deliberately to give themselves the chance.

We have already gone through this hyperbole previously and the reality appears to be that the detractors and critics are the one doing the damage and posing the most risk.

So far history shows the NRC team underpinned by the Vikings has been beneficial to Canberra rugby, local players despite those who stupidly oppose it and if they had there way we would have nothing.

The Canberra club comp looks fragile to me from my admittedly limited viewing.
Are those of you who know the history of Canberra non-Super rugby happy with the distribution of Brumbies contracted players through the clubs and to the extent there is a concentration of contracted talent is it due to the junior clubs being stronger in that particular club and thereby producing more Brumbies?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
BRUMBIES ALLOCATED TO CLUBS

Easts: Blake Enever, Chris Alcock, Jordan Smiler, Robbie Abel, Nic Mayhew.

Royals: Tom Staniforth, Tom Cusack, Faalelei Sione, Lausii Taliauli, Sam Carter.

Tuggeranong Vikings: Jordan Jackson-Hope, Nigel Ah Wong, Jarrad Butler, Scott Sio, Christian Lealiifano, Ryan Lonergan, Ben Hyne, Joe Powell.

Uni-Norths Owls: Ben Alexander, Allan Ala'alatoa, Tom Banks, Kyle Godwin, Lolo Fakaosilea.

Wests: Tomas Cubelli, Aidan Toua, Nick Jooste, Rob Valentini, Scott Fardy.

Gungahlin Eagles: Henry Speight, Josh Mann-Rea, Rory Arnold, Wharenui Hawera, James Dargaville.

Queanbeyan Whites: Andrew Smith, Tevita Kuridrani, Les Leuluaialii-Makin, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Royals: Tom Staniforth, Tom Cusack, Faalelei Sione, Lausii Taliauli, Sam Carter.

Tuggeranong Vikings: Jordan Jackson-Hope, Nigel Ah Wong, Jarrad Butler, Scott Sio, Christian Lealiifano, Ryan Lonergan, Ben Hyne, Joe Powell.

Uni-Norths Owls: Ben Alexander, Allan Ala'alatoa, Tom Banks, Kyle Godwin, Lolo Fakaosilea.

Gungahlin Eagles: Henry Speight, Josh Mann-Rea, Rory Arnold, Wharenui Hawera, James Dargaville.

Queanbeyan Whites: Andrew Smith, Tevita Kuridrani, Les Leuluaialii-Makin, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a.

better than sydney, thats for sure: looks pretty even in numbers

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Just to add to the player allocations.........

Bolded players are locals who came through those clubs.

Robbie Abel spent a decade at Royals, but moved to Easts to help out.

Lilo has had a long association with Vikings, and Ah Wong and Hyne hooked up with the club before they had Super contracts.

I believe Alexander also had a long association with Uni Norths, and played for them before he was capped by the Brumbies.

It's probably no surprise that the concentration of local players are with the current big 3 clubs - Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals.

Someone feel free to correct me on any of that, or add to it...........

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Just to add to the player allocations...

Bolded players are locals who came through those clubs.

Robbie Abel spent a decade at Royals, but moved to Easts to help out.

Lilo has had a long association with Vikings, and Ah Wong and Hyne hooked up with the club before they had Super contracts.

I believe Alexander also had a long association with Uni Norths, and played for them before he was capped by the Brumbies.

It's probably no surprise that the concentration of local players are with the current big 3 clubs - Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals.

Someone feel free to correct me on any of that, or add to it.....
Faalelei Sione was a Tuggeranong Junior his brother still plays U18s there.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
It is time to start to see what the Vikings 2017 will look like by taking out the Test players and players signed elsewhere. I also rested the veterans

Easts: Blake Enever, Chris Alcock, Robbie Abel, Nic Mayhew, Jordan Smiler .

Royals: Tom Cusack, Faalelei Sione, Lausii Taliauli, Sam Carter, Tom Staniforth.

Tuggeranong Vikings: Jordan Jackson-Hope, Nigel Ah Wong, Jarrad Butler, Ryan Lonergan, Ben Hyne, Scott Sio, Christian Lealiifano, Joe Powell.

Uni-Norths Owls: Tom Banks, Kyle Godwin, Lolo Fakaosilea Ben Alexander, Allan Ala'alatoa.

Wests: Aidan Toua, Nick Jooste, Rob Valentini, Tomas Cubelli, Scott Fardy.

Gungahlin Eagles: Wharenui Hawera, James Dargaville, Henry Speight, Josh Mann-Rea, Rory Arnold.

Queanbeyan Whites: Andrew Smith, Les Leuluaialii-Makin, Tevita Kuridrani, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a.

Other signings
De Wet Roos, Andrew Muirhead

This feels like a high number 24 when it has been about 17 in previous years.
There may be a few more to announce their departures.

Nick Mayhew who has Australian eligibility but likely to return to NPC.

The hard one to predict Wharenui Hawera in that he would probably go back to NPC but with 2 year Brumby contract and still doubts on CL return work to improve and not give Jooste or JJH a break.

With a 11 Forwards 13 Backs split

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Will be a shame if Mayhew is lost. Has been very strong for the Brumbies and must be on the radar for higher honours. Suppose he could still play for Wallabies in a while even if he returns temporarily to the Mitre 10 Cup.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Usually around this time there is an initial list of 30-35 players from JID and Under 20's as the training squad.

Plus there is the squad for the 10's made up mostly of Under 20's. Interesting ring ins Issak Fines-Leleiwasa from Sunnybank and Joshua Turner from Manly

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
For the Brumbies game in Singapore next week "Four John I Dent Cup players have been selected with Tuggeranong Vikings trio, lock Darcy Swain, prop Sione Taula and utility back Andrew Robinson joined in the squad by Royals' winger George Morseu."

Status
Not open for further replies.