• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
If the CAS selectors are concerned about the GPS inside backs, which I think is a fair concern, then imo Moretti must play lock if they want to shake them up, both in attack and defence.

Moretti will be picked. No doubt.

S

sidelineview

There can be a fine line between making the CAS1 or CAS2 teams.
Players who went onto to be selected for a State team from CAS2 last season were:

Combined States:
Waverley - Will McCormick, Joel Ellis
Knox - Brady Dawson
Trinity - Cooper Chambers

NSW2
Waverley - Harry Whiteman
Barker - Simon Rahme, David Tejcek

NSW1
Knox - Tom Woodcock (Aussie Schoolboys)

Selectors dont always get it right. Sometimes individual rep teams gel and perform better than expected.
For example NSW2 defeated NSW 1 in 2016.

All CAS1 & CAS2 players will get opportunities to impress State Selectors and Coaches.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi CAS followers. Is there anyone prepared to write a report for this weekends game of Knox v Cranbrook? Please message me if you can. Any help is appreciated even if it is short.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would be more interested in waverley’s no 15 Latham Hutchinson-Walters outstanding player and I think he will be CAS no 15.

Latham won’t be playing for CAS which is a big loss due to injury but don’t be surprised if he makes NSW 2 if his hand heals.
Speedy recovery hopefully.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Perhaps because they select 2 CAS teams. Didnt Pollard playing CAS 2nds last year instead of U16s? On form Hawkes or F Spalding (A) would be the Hooker in CAS 2 IMHO. I would be surprised to see Pollard at Flanker given the depth of talent already available in the back row.

I wouldnt worry too much about 12; either Edmed (T) or Pollack (A) should fill the spot

Agreed. Pollard is brilliant as a hooker and just explosive around the park. There is to many good backrowers to put him there. Plus his lineout throws are spot on. And will be very consistent if Dring, Flaherty Cameron and Reimer are his targets for the CAS 1st XV lineout. Add Moretti and it will make 1st phase possesion for CAS reliable.

Reactions: BMW

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
For those interested this is a edited glimpse of the Cranbrook Barker game from a Barker perspective. Remember all that the editing here is done by a year 12 barker student. If and when I see equivalent from another school I will post.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The collect and regather by Nercessian has just confirmed in my mind that he should be the CAS 1st XV 12. he is eligible to play.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
And at 3.36 is Gus Collison's great run. He is a prop and is undefeated at the set piece this year against the best GPS front rows. Show me another more worthy candidate for CAS 1st XV selection, along with his partner in crime, Dane Wilson who played 7 on the weekend. The CAS tight 5 must be all RED.

Reactions: BMW

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
So what is the official position on Nercessian. Seems some say he is eligible for CAS selection. Others say no. I guess we will find out on Sat. But surely the rules must be black and white

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
So what is the official position on Nercessian. Seems some say he is eligible for CAS selection. Others say no. I guess we will find out on Sat. But surely the rules must be black and white

He can’t play Rich. CAS made the ruling to allow a 19 year old to compete in the competition. 19 years olds aren’t allowed to compete in any other under 18 competition including rep games.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He can’t play Rich. CAS made the ruling to allow a 19 year old to compete in the competition. 19 years olds aren’t allowed to compete in any other under 18 competition including rep games.

If this helps, this quote is off the Australian Shccols Rugby Union website re eligibility

To be eligible for selection in an Australian Schoolboys Rugby Team a player must be–
  • Under 18 on January 1 of the current year
  • A full time student attending an Australian secondary school or its equivalent.
  • Attend the Australian championships, if selected
  • He must have been available for selection in all schoolboy representative regional or sub union teams, prior to or after the championships unless injured or under extraordinary circumstances—e.g. a family death.
  • Noting – Attendance at Championships is not necessary for selection but they “shall be the principal guide.”
Its an interesting read especially for those players out injured and dont compete at the Championships but remain eligible for selection. Explains a lot about what happened last year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
For those interested this is a edited glimpse of the Cranbrook Barker game from a Barker perspective. Remember all that the editing here is done by a year 12 barker student. If and when I see equivalent from another school I will post.

Pollard outstanding!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
If this helps, this quote is off the Australian Shccols Rugby Union website re eligibility

To be eligible for selection in an Australian Schoolboys Rugby Team a player must be–
  • Under 18 on January 1 of the current year
  • A full time student attending an Australian secondary school or its equivalent.
  • Attend the Australian championships, if selected
  • He must have been available for selection in all schoolboy representative regional or sub union teams, prior to or after the championships unless injured or under extraordinary circumstances—e.g. a family death.
  • Noting – Attendance at Championships is not necessary for selection but they “shall be the principal guide.”
Its an interesting read especially for those players out injured and dont compete at the Championships but remain eligible for selection. Explains a lot about what happened last year.

Thanks ACS. So did Nercessian turn 18 after Jan 1?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks ACS. So did Nercessian turn 18 after Jan 1?

Under the ARU rules he is not eligible.

But for CAS he is. So from the word I have been given he can play Rep CAS but probably no further. I think he turned 18 on Christmas day.

So he missed the cut by 7 days to play ARU schoolboys.

And before this conversation spirals out of control the premise the headmasters agreed on from what little I have been told, that for the sake of one week, this lad would miss all school sport during his final year of school if this rule was adhered to.

That is not the spirit or the intent in which schools and parents want to encourage.

S

sidelineview

Under the ARU rules he is not eligible.

But for CAS he is. So from the word I have been given he can play Rep CAS but probably no further. I think he turned 18 on Christmas day.

So he missed the cut by 7 days to play ARU schoolboys.

And before this conversation spirals out of control the premise the headmasters agreed on from what little I have been told, that for the sake of one week, this lad would miss all school sport during his final year of school if this rule was adhered to.

That is not the spirit or the intent in which schools and parents want to encourage.

Fair enough, if that's the decision that has been made by the Principles; that is, he's allowed to play for Barker and CAS, but where do you draw the line with this Rule?

''Dispensations'' can open up a can of worms and usually cause controversy.

I dont mean to be personal against Barker or the individual player, and as tough as it may seem, but personally, I'm against relaxing any eligibility Rules.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
he was lucky to even play, his eye was nearly taken out while running out.

Yes I saw that, some of all our boys are dopey when the players run through the tunnel.
I hope one day an official pulls them aside before someone trips and then can't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.