• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
And at 3.36 is Gus Collison's great run. He is a prop and is undefeated at the set piece this year against the best GPS front rows. Show me another more worthy candidate for CAS 1st XV selection, along with his partner in crime, Dane Wilson who played 7 on the weekend. The CAS tight 5 must be all RED.

Rod,

I watched the short video, which may have been a bit deceiving as it was Barker driven, but can't say you beat much, sorry.
Same as Waves, hard to guage anything.

Reactions: BMW

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
4 tries to nil to Barker. Don’t know score

And despite winning this game comprehensively, the Barker 16A coach refused to shake the hand of the very good young ref who officiated the match; yes the PK count was high against Barker - and rightly so as they consistently infringed, and were marched for back-chatting on more than one occasion. Poor form from the Barker coach who should pull his head in and realise that it is only schoolboy rugby..

Also I saw the Barker 5th XV coach (the game right after the 16A match) get a dressing down by the referee mid-match - I assume for yelling stupid and innane comments to the ref during the game. I could hear the Barker 5th XV coach yelling from the canteen side of the field he was that loud. Good on the ref for telling him to stop/ refrain from commenting such rubbish. From what I saw, the Barker 5th XV were well ahead with plenty of FK/ PK going their way (but not on the scoreboard, Cranbrook 5th XV won easily)

When will these over privileged, and il-mannered school teachers, learn that there is a Respect Rugby code, and that the officials need to be respected for the thankless job they do week in week out? The Respect Rugby code is even written and reproduced in the school game form guide to remind everyone, however it must be skipped over by the Barker rugby coaches when reading who's in the teams for the day...

Reactions: WLF

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
The CAS u16’s from 2016 final results in the image attached.

Came down to the last round of Waverley vs Barker. Waves won quite convincely. We get to the year those boys are in year 12 and it appears those 3 are still the strongest in the comp for their age group with Trinity improving dramatically. Waverley lost one game that year; to St Aloys away. A chance for redemption for Waverley or a repeat of history for Aloys?

Predictions for round 2:

Aloys v Waverley- match of the round. Will the Waverley Backrow dominate the game? Will the win last week give Aloys all the motivation they need? Will either team be able to train in the conditions this week?

Waverley by 15 in a hard fought battle.

Trinity v Barker- expect a tighter match for Barker this week. Will trinity bounce back from a tough first round? How will Barker cope In their first big CAS game of the year? Will Any players take their last chance of Rep opportunities?

Barker by 3 tries in a game that will remain tight til the second half.

Knox v Cranbrook- expect Knox to explode out of the blocks to release some aggression after a tough first round. How will Cranbrook handle two of the best scrummagers in the Comp? Will the Knox second rowers finally take their CAS jumpers as requested by BMW? How will Cranbrook fair against a side of pure physicality?

Knox by 40 in a blowout.

Agree the Aloys/Waverley game looks to be the game of the round. Aloys have tested Waves in this age group most times over the past 6 years, and have won the majority of home games. There are a few key players due back for Aloys, so this will bring them to near full strength. Waverley will miss LHW, but their forwards will be hard to repel.

Prediction - draw.

Trinity will pose a genuine threat to Barker, and who can forget the Joeys result from 4 weeks ago. Barker will have to deal with the burden of expectation on a couple of occasions this year, and Saturday could be the first real test. Some (perhaps many) Barker boys also have to manage the 'representative syndrome' and could risk injury if they take things lightly to ensure their availability for next weeks rep games.

Prediction - Barker by 7.

I am astonished by William 88's prediction of a 40 point Knox win. Actually think the Cranbrook team is stronger on paper given the injuries at Knox, particularly to Sam Rechner. Cranbrook's form prior to last Saturday has been very solid. However, being played on Friday night in the cauldron that is Knox #1, I favour Knox in a close one.

Prediction - Knox by 5.

This will be a competitive round, with all games capable of going either way.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree the Aloys/Waverley game looks to be the game of the round. Aloys have tested Waves in this age group most times over the past 6 years, and have won the majority of home games. There are a few key players due back for Aloys, so this will bring them to near full strength. Waverley will miss LHW, but their forwards will be hard to repel.

Prediction - draw.

Trinity will pose a genuine threat to Barker, and who can forget the Joeys result from 4 weeks ago. Barker will have to deal with the burden of expectation on a couple of occasions this year, and Saturday could be the first real test. Some (perhaps many) Barker boys also have to manage the 'representative syndrome' and could risk injury if they take things lightly to ensure their availability for next weeks rep games.

I am astonished by William 88's prediction of a 40 point Knox win. Actually think the Cranbrook team is stronger on paper given the injuries at Knox, particularly to Sam Rechner. Cranbrook's form prior to last Saturday has been very solid. However, being played on Friday night in the cauldron that is Knox #1, I favour Knox in a close one.

Prediction - Knox by 5.

Is the Knox game against Brook on Friday night at Knox???

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Prediction - draw.

Prediction - Knox by 5.

Carl, just so you know.....its the Soccer that's on at Knox on friday night........the rugby is at Knox Saturday arvo.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Carl, just so you know...its the Soccer that's on at Knox on friday night....the rugby is at Knox Saturday arvo.

Thanks Axel. I just got that confirmed as well. Its a Sat game at Knox. I am still after a volunteer to write a quick report on the Knox Cranbrook game.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Carl, just so you know...its the Soccer that's on at Knox on friday night....the rugby is at Knox Saturday arvo.
Yes, thanks Axel. I saw a Facebook post talking about "Friday Night Football Knox v Cranbrook" and mistook it as rugby. Footy is rugby to me - that other sport is soccer!
I'll stay home and watch the league.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes, thanks Axel. I saw a Facebook post talking about "Friday Night Football Knox v Cranbrook" and mistook it as rugby. Footy is rugby to me - that other sport is soccer!

Agreed Carl....would rather watch paint dry.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I read the season preview Roddus Brutus (et tu) and noticed the second ranking given to the mighty B ......initially I thought you may have consumed too many of those magic mushrooms with your steak and red wine when making the assessment....hope you are incorrect old boy. Was politics at play here in the assessment - I apprehend you and WLF are becoming a tad too close....must be those stolen moments at the sideline clouding the judgement!!!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I read the season preview Roddus Brutus (et tu) and noticed the second ranking given to the mighty B ..initially I thought you may have consumed too many of those magic mushrooms with your steak and red wine when making the assessment..hope you are incorrect old boy. Was politics at play here in the assessment - I apprehend you and WLF are becoming a tad too close..must be those stolen moments at the sideline clouding the judgement!!!

Haha...Sorry to disappoint you but myself and my learned colleague WLF had nothing to do with the rankings. That was all William88's efforts.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Carl, as we support different teams, we probably disagree on most things, BUT NOT ON THIS ONE!

S

sidelineview

As a matter of interest. There's quite a few hoops to jump through to receive a dispensation for an over-age player.

CAS Age limits – as at March 2018
Age Groups
For Rugby, Swimming, Cross Country & Track & Field (as at 2007), the age an athlete is turning in the year of competition is the age group this athlete is eligible to play/compete for. (for Cross Country these age groups are 14s 16s and Opens)
ie. If a boy is turning 14 on January 15, 2018 – he is eligible to compete in the 14 years age group in 2018.
Year groups
For all other sports – Football, Tennis, Cricket, Basketball, boys will be eligible to compete in the year group they are at their school in the year of competition.
Opens
Any boy turning 19 years old or younger in the year of competition is eligible to compete in the Opens age group ( for any sport other than Rugby – no boy may turn 20 years old ).
Rugby
Rugby Australia (RA), the governing body of Rugby Union in Australia has two policies – the RA Safety Policy and the RA Participation Policy – that focus on safe, inclusive and fair participation. It is prudent that the CAS, in consideration of the GPS and ISA policies, aligns itself as an Association where possible with the RA policies and guidelines.
  1. Definitions
Eligible Grades: Refers to the age group that a player turns in the relevant calendar year AND in the age group one year above.
Dispensation: Permission or Approval to play in an age group other than their ‘eligible grades’.
Qualified Assessing Coach: A coach who has completed the RA’s Assessing Course and holds a minimum Level 2 accreditation and current Smart Rugby.
  1. Criteria for Rugby Age Dispensation
  • Players who turn 13 to 18 years of age in the year of competition seeking to play up one age group:
No dispensation required
Discretion is only to be exercised in circumstances where the player’s participation in their current age group is deemed to present a safety risk to themselves or other participants.
  • Players who turn 13 to 18 years of age in the year of competition seeking to play outside their Eligible Grades (up or down):
Dispensation is required
  • An Assessment of the player is to be arranged by the relevant school. This can be completed by a Qualified Assessing Coach at the school.
  • The Age Dispensation Consent Form and Dispensation Form Schedule A (and in the case of Front Row – Schedule B) is to be submitted to the CAS Convener prior to the player playing in the CAS Rugby competition
  • Players who turn 19 years of age in the year of competition who seek to play down:
Dispensation is required
The following criteria must be met before a student can progress to assessment:
  • The date at which they turn 19 must be after the last round of the competition (in 2018 that is after August 11th).
  • The student must have been enrolled at the school for the February Census date for year 10 of their cohort (for 2018 they must have been at the school in year 10 in 2016)
  • The player must be below the height and weight guidelines set by RA. The current guidelines are H190.73cm W101.89kg
  • The player cannot have played 1sts and 2nds for the previous 2 years i.e. it cannot be his 3rd year in 1sts or 2nds
All schools have a duty of care to ensure that players are playing in the appropriate age grade competition, based on the player’s physical development in conjunction with their ability and/or experience. Hence, players with dispensation to play down or up two age groups, may then NOT play any competition games in their birth year age group or eligible grades. In exceptional circumstances, it may be mandated that a player participates in a specific age group either within or outside the player’s eligible grades.
  1. Process for Age Dispensation Applications for students turning 19 in the year of competition
If the student seeking dispensation has met the above mentioned criteria then the following process is to be followed before any dispensation can be granted.
  • An independent Assessment of the player is to be arranged by the school. This will be carried out by CAS Convener. This assessment will use the RA assessment procedures for players.
  • The Age Dispensation Consent Form and Dispensation Form – Schedule A (and in the case of Front Row – Schedule B) is to be submitted to the CAS Convener at least three (3) weeks prior to the end of Term 1 of the year of application.
  • The CAS Rugby Management Committee will review the application and respond with a decision within a week of receiving the application. The Management Committee includes the CAS Convener, the Current Chair of the CAS General Committee and 2 other Principals/Heads of School other than that which the student is currently enrolled.
  • An Age Dispensation Register will be maintained by the CAS Convener and distributed to member Rugby schools.
  • Throughout the process, it is a responsibility of the member school’s Sportmaster or Rugby MIC, to keep the player and their parent/guardian up to date with the procedure and CAS Rugby Management’s decision.
  • All members schools of the CAS will be advised of a decision to approve a dispensation by the CAS Convenor.

Status
Not open for further replies.