• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Well I hope so. But they lost to St Aloysius who lost to Waverley and were separated from Cranbrook by only a point. I hope they clean up the next three games but who knows?

Snort, Talk to me, I have sent you a private convo, if you are not sure how to respond to this, that's ok, took me a go to work it out, just let me know.
Might see you at the last CAS comp game.

Cheers WLF.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Sorry CNP,

Completely disagree, the CAS 1's deserved many more in both NSW 1 and 2's.
Some obvious boys didn't make either team, instead others who had very poor games were chosen, not their fault but clear preference by selectors.
CAS won both games, against 2 strong teams with little turn around time, ie 3 days, and received very poor representation.
Full Stop.

I can understand disagreeing with some of the selections. I didn’t see the games today but Based on Tues would have had a different squad. But 10 from 15 selected for NSW is not “very poor representation”. I think ISA may have some claim to that with 0 selections in the 1s despite only losing by 1 to CAS. There will always be another way to dissect the outcome and show it was unfair. But 10 from 15 ain’t bad.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the lack of comment on the GPS site shows that they too are stunned by the selections. There is no crowing over there on how the GPS lads deserved their spots ahead of others.

Shows us all that sometimes performance is not enough to get higher honours. That is life.

Anyway nothing can take away the CAS lads win on Tuesday. The best team won. And the GPS boys know that all to well.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I can understand disagreeing with some of the selections. I didn’t see the games today but Based on Tues would have had a different squad. But 10 from 15 selected for NSW is not “very poor representation”. I think ISA may have some claim to that with 0 selections in the 1s despite only losing by 1 to CAS. There will always be another way to dissect the outcome and show it was unfair. But 10 from 15 ain’t bad.

CNP, clearly i am not privy to how the selections occur but from the GPS site it was explained that the selectors choose the NSW 1's and 2's run on teams first and then they pick reserves for each team after that.

If that is the case, then the CAS 1s got only 8 of their winning 15 run on players in the nsw 1s or 2s run on teams.
Some obvious top performers were completely shafted.

I also suspect there are a number of ISA players who deserved better, trouble is they don't get to play the GPS, they do play CAS, but clearly that does't count. so how about the ISA lobby to play GPS as well next year.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I hope so. But they lost to St Aloysius who lost to Waverley and were separated from Cranbrook by only a point. I hope they clean up the next three games but who knows?

It’s often tricky making comparisons, and the season’s injury toll can start to weigh heavily for the final matches.

But given Trinity’s performances against heavyweights Joeys and Barker, they would have to be clear favourites for the Knox match at least. On the other hand, if Knox can get their wayward backs to convert possession into points it will be an interesting tussle.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I also suspect there are a number of ISA players who deserved better, trouble is they don't get to play the GPS, they do play CAS, but clearly that does't count. so how about the ISA lobby to play GPS as well next year.
WLF that is great in theory but the calendar is jammed already. I dont believe you could fit another inter association match in. Having watched the games yesterday, I think both ISA CAS and CHS were very competitive in their Firsts but a huge gap to their seconds. Results against GPS would vindicate this view.
GPS 1s and 2s are much closer in ability and maybe that is a match worth playing. Alternatively, you seed teams based on prior year results so the strongest from prior year contest.

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Morning All
Seeing as though ISA selections seem very thin on the ground, they probably should recognise Donna Freeman as an ISA player not CAS in NSW 1sts.
Although I to believe you boys have been a littlehard done by in the selection process.

BMW

Stan Wickham (3)
Reality is, you could be excused for thinking that unless the CAS, and ISA, win their games by 20+, like last year 26 - blot CAS beat GPS.
If it is close then those with strong political connections will always get picked regardless of performance.
Yes, it is only 1 game but it is supposedly the best against the best, otherwise don't bother, and risk injuries.

As an outsider, I am stunned that Harry Wilson is a reserve for NSW 2, I would think there are also others.

I know there are some comments about how strong the CS team may look, but really, let's call a spade a spade, many of these players were very very badly treated.

Molloy, Bryden and Whiteman, missed out. Only politics here, worked against them, not form.

Anyway happens every year, let's hope the Aussie championships delivers the right selections!
Same thing happened in selection of CAS 2. The team selected was not the best team picked of form. If the selectors picked on form you would have seen a stronger contest between GPS 2 and CAS 2. We only have our own selections to blame over players like Molley, Flaherty not being selected at NSW level.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

BMW

Stan Wickham (3)
Thats politics in schoolboy rugby
I think I must have watched a different set of games thIs week. I watched CAS lead 24 nil at half time and play 1/3 of the 2nd half a man down against GPS and still win.That’s embarrassing.

S

sidelineview

Hopefully the CAS boys who missed out on a NSW team will be selected in Combined States which could be a blessing in disguise.
Is it better for a player to be in the starting 15 in CS or on the bench for one of the NSW teams? I say CS.
Molloys lack of size probably went against him but if selected for CS I doubt if the CS Coach will be complaining given his high work rate.
CS teams have acquitted themselves very well in the last couple of years so it could work out OK for these players if selected.
And whether its right or wrong, selections are not made purely from Rep games.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF that is great in theory but the calendar is jammed already. I dont believe you could fit another inter association match in. Having watched the games yesterday, I think both ISA CAS and CHS were very competitive in their Firsts but a huge gap to their seconds. Results against GPS would vindicate this view.
GPS 1s and 2s are much closer in ability and maybe that is a match worth playing. Alternatively, you seed teams based on prior year results so the strongest from prior year contest.

AS,

I agree that time doesn't allow every team to play each, and that would probably be too much footy for the boys anyway.
My point doesn't involve the 2s personnel at all in either CAS or GPS.

The point I was focusing on was the CAS 1s team only, and the lack of support it received, surely the 1st teams should get the top billing if deserved.

BMW, also discusses the CAS selectors as being to blame for the CAS lack of selections.
Who knows, maybe they did back the CAS boys, either way the other selectors should have made calls on what we all saw.

This has nothing to do with any boy who was selected, it is about the selection process.

Yes we will see what happens now at the Aussie championships but I recon its fair to say that making the CS makes it much harder to progress further.

Anyway let's hope everyone gets a real chance to shine and they all play their very best.

Reactions: BMW
S

sidelineview

Its a broad sweeping statement to say its harder for Combined States players to make Aussie Schoolboy teams.
It depends how the team performs during the Nationals.
It depends how any team gels and performs.
I'm not sure what happened last year but from 2016 the following players made the Aussie Baa Baas from CS:
Bo Abra
Tom Serhon
Jordan Petaia
Matt Orpen
Dylan Valeni

I cant remember if any made the Aussie Schoolboys team but from 2016:
there were 8 @ NSW2 players and 3 @ NSW1s players who made the Baa Baas team.

There are a lot of IFS and BUTS but definitely all is not lost for a player being selected for the Combined States team.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The selectors have a tough job. Disappointing for some but they do their best.i would not equate disappointment with politics.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Its a broad sweeping statement to say its harder for Combined States players to make Aussie Schoolboy teams.
It depends how the team performs during the Nationals.
It depends how any team gels and performs.
I'm not sure what happened last year but from 2016 the following players made the Aussie Baa Baas from CS:
Bo Abra
Tom Serhon
Jordan Petaia
Matt Orpen
Dylan Valeni

I cant remember if any made the Aussie Schoolboys team but from 2016:
there were 8 @ NSW2 players and 3 @ NSW1s players who made the Baa Baas team.

There are a lot of IFS and BUTS but definitely all is not lost for a player being selected for the Combined States team.

My point was to make the Aussie school boys from the CS team, if there are some compelling stats, then I am more than happy to be corrected, if not, then my point is valid.

It is also becoming evident that those who are defending some of these poor selections are as usual trying to justify them, trying to sweep the obvious under the carpet.

Whilst nothing is, or should ever be directed at any boy, there are a number of boys who are more than likely devastated, and probably had their 1 chance to make a high rep team taken away, even though they performed.
Remember this side of the coin.

S

sidelineview

I dont have stats of CS players making the Aussie Schoolboys teams, but someone else may have,
Although, making the Aussie Baa Baas team is no mean feat.
In fact, just to make any State team is an honour and puts the players on show before the selectors.

There is always controversy over selections.
Last year it was the great debate about selectors going for size.
Qld teams didnt perform well at the Nationals in 2016 but got a lot of their players in the Aussie Schoolboy teams compared to the well performed NSW teams.
From memory the reverse happened last year.

In 2016 people were complaining because in their opinion players deserved to be selected in NSW1 but were only selected in the NSW2 side.
NSW2s defeated NSW1s in the Final and got more players selected in the Aussie Schoolboys teams. They weren't complaining then.

Anyway, good luck to the players selected and who will be selected in the CS team.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The small consolation on having Flaherty, Bryden, Graham, Dudley Cameron, Wilson missing out on selection is that for the last 3 games of the CAS season Barker has a core group that will hopefully remain injury free.... That said I bet every one of those lads wish they had made the NSW squads...

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Any scores at the 16s available

I'm not much use although I watched some of the games. GPS Pres XV A defetaed ISA II; CHS1 defeated AICES; I'm not sure of the result in ISA 1 v GPS Pres XV B. I think GPS won. CAS defeated CCC. They are now onto the next round, with CHS I playing GPS Pres XV A. GPS was running away with the game, better skills, although CHS has some good talent. I had to leave at that point.

They are using a cup, bowl, plate, shield format that I had only seen before in the sevens. Each team gets two games today and then one tomorrow in the various finals.

BMW

Stan Wickham (3)
Nice article sidelineview
I dont have stats of CS players making the Aussie Schoolboys teams, but someone else may have,
Although, making the Aussie Baa Baas team is no mean feat.
In fact, just to make any State team is an honour and puts the players on show before the selectors.

There is always controversy over selections.
Last year it was the great debate about selectors going for size.
Qld teams didnt perform well at the Nationals in 2016 but got a lot of their players in the Aussie Schoolboy teams compared to the well performed NSW teams.
From memory the reverse happened last year.

In 2016 people were complaining because in their opinion players deserved to be selected in NSW1 but were only selected in the NSW2 side.
NSW2s defeated NSW1s in the Final and got more players selected in the Aussie Schoolboys teams. They weren't complaining then.

Anyway, good luck to the players selected and who will be selected in the CS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.