• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any CAS supporters happy to have a crack at a GPS team, over in the GPS thread. Is more insightful and interesting when it comes from a 'third party'.

I'll have a go at the backline.
9. Albert (R)
10. Savala (S)
11. Latu (N)
12. Easy (R)
13. Bell (R)
14. Zucchiatti (S)
15. Connoilly (K)

UptheGuts33

Frank Row (1)
Who would be the most likely chance at CAS 1's, 2's or shadow from Aloys and Brook? Im thinking Westbury and Pollack would have a chance but not too familiar with the Cranbrook boys. Help me out

White (10/12) from Cranbrook could have a shot to shadow the CAS squad. Other than that I would have said May but looks like he is out for the foreseeable future.

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Who would be the most likely chance at CAS 1's, 2's or shadow from Aloys and Brook? Im thinking Westbury and Pollack would have a chance but not too familiar with the Cranbrook boys. Help me out

May, Tilley, Hayman, Smith and Rice are brooks stand outs for me. A few of the year 11s in the back line could all push for spots as well. It is hard to tell with them yet to play any of the bigger CAS schools and a few boys in doubt for selection due to injury. It makes me very happy to see Hayman, Cranbrook's prop is actually goal kicking for them this year. Great to see a prop with good hands and a powerful boot.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought I would have a go at putting forward the names and players who in my opinion should be in the starting XV for the CAS 1sts this year.

This is not the full team. Just those players who barring injury are worthy of being selected.

2. Billy Pollard. Barker
4. Lochie Dring. Barker
5 Harry Flaherty. Barker
7. Luke Reimer. Barker
8. Luca Moretti.Waverley
9 David Tejcek Barker (capt)
12. Josh Nercessian. Barker
13. Lachlan Ilias. Trinity
14. Kyle Galloway. Barker
15. Jayden Kitchener. Barker

Comments of nepotism aside, if I was the CAS coach, and looking at the trial games played so far, these players deserve their spot.

How the front row goes is anyone’s call. In my view, it would be a case of choosing between either the Trinity props or the Barker props.

I am not sure what happened with Trinity on Saturday against Newington. I know both Trinity props played great games against Joeys, but they lost their way on the weekend. Will this play against them? Who knows.

From Barkers perspective, Collison and Wilson have been rock solid all year. The last 10 minutes against Kings should put to rest any thoughts of these two lads not being capable scrummagers. The Barker front row has not been popped all year. As for their defensive work and their running ball in hand, these two boys have not been beaten by any of their GPS opponents.

Pollard has been outstanding this year as the inform blockbusting hooker who can throw, run, scrummage and tackle, and it will not surprise me if he is selected in the NSW 1st XV.

Dring and Flaherty have been Barkers engine room this year. The Barker set piece is undefeated and those two lads are the best offensive tacklers in the business. Watching Dring and Riveriews Smidt (6) go hammer and tong on Saturday was worth the admission ticket alone.

Reimer picks himself. He is the standout backrower this year and will play 7 to ensure Moretti slots in at 8. Luca Moretti will revel playing in this forward pack as he will have more opportunity to play his natural explosive game with Dring and Flaherty doing the tough stuff.

6 for me is wide open. Barkers Cameron at 6ft 3 is having a standout season both at the set piece and around the park where his ball in hand running and defensive work has been first class, but he is up against Waverley's Malloy who like Moretti is playing behind a weaker tight 5. The selectors will probably go with Malloy but it is a close call.

David Tejcek is having a top season at halfback. He has relished the responsibility of captain and it has only added to all round fine game providing leadership as well as great service to his backs. His combination with Reimer off the back of the scrum has still not been beaten by any GPS combination faced thus far. He is my choice to captain this side.

The 10 is an issue. The two top 5/8ths are Barkers Dudley and Triniy’s Edmed. It is an area the GPS are fortunate to have 3 quality fly halves all vying for the top spot.

The selectors may well go with Edmed and be fully justified.

I would choose Dudley as my 10 as his combination this year with Nercessian who is the first choice inside centre has worked brilliantly.

The centre pairing of Nercessian (12) and ilias (13) will be strong. Both are year 12 lads and have clever rugby heads on their shoulders. They are not as swift as the GPS lads of (Easy and Bell) but they will give a good account for CAS.

The wings and fullback slots is where CAS will struggle this year.

Galloway (B) for mine is the best defensive winger in the CAS comp and has plenty of speed. His tussle with Joseph Sua'ali'i (Kings) was great to watch. He will be marking the skylab boy again no doubt and will have his hands full but is more than capable.

Who is to be the other winger? I am perplexed. Waverley’s Hutchinson-Walter or Baldwin possibly or maybe Cranbrook’s North?

Finally, the fullback spot is Jayden Kitchener’s (Barker) to lose. He has been solid all year and his defence against Joeys was outstanding, something the CAS team will need against the GPS backs. Jayden is not the fastest 15 nor does he have the longest kick but he bleeds RED and is a model of consistency.

Now bring on the comments and alternative points of view.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I would be thinking about Pollock (A) as the 15. Has played lots of 15, and has good speed. Also Kitchener has not played many games this year due to injury and speed a question mark in any case.

At the risk of being controversial, its a pity Nercessian (B) is ineligible for selection as he has been dominant at 12.

I have been told from a reliable source that Josh Nercessian is elligible to play CAS.

ruckman7

Peter Burge (5)
Looking through the teams, the front row will probably cause most selection conjecture. Apart from Billy Pollard, I can't think of any other certainty, but note that Malachi Hawkes has not been named in the 16s squad, so presume he is in he running for CAS 1s.

Keep in mind that Hawkes was the third choice hooker after Kennedy from Knox and F Spalding last year so I would back either of them to be picked over him, but he may find himself in Pollards position last year on the reserves getting rep experience.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I thought I would have a go at putting forward the names and players who in my opinion should be in the starting XV for the CAS 1sts this year.

This is not the full team. Just those players who barring injury are worthy of being selected.

2. Billy Pollard. Barker
4. Lochie Dring. Barker
5 Harry Flaherty. Barker
7. Luke Reimer. Barker
8. Luca Moretti.Waverley
9 David Tejcek Barker (capt)
12. Josh Nercessian. Barker
13. Lachlan Ilias. Trinity
14. Kyle Galloway. Barker
15. Jayden Kitchener. Barker

Comments of nepotism aside, if I was the CAS coach, and looking at the trial games played so far, these players deserve their spot.

How the front row goes is anyone’s call. In my view, it would be a case of choosing between either the Trinity props or the Barker props.

I am not sure what happened with Trinity on Saturday against Newington. I know both Trinity props played great games against Joeys, but they lost their way on the weekend. Will this play against them? Who knows.

From Barkers perspective, Collison and Wilson have been rock solid all year. The last 10 minutes against Kings should put to rest any thoughts of these two lads not being capable scrummagers. The Barker front row has not been popped all year. As for their defensive work and their running ball in hand, these two boys have not been beaten by any of their GPS opponents.

Pollard has been outstanding this year as the inform blockbusting hooker who can throw, run, scrummage and tackle, and it will not surprise me if he is selected in the NSW 1st XV.

Dring and Flaherty have been Barkers engine room this year. The Barker set piece is undefeated and those two lads are the best offensive tacklers in the business. Watching Dring and Riveriews Smidt (6) go hammer and tong on Saturday was worth the admission ticket alone.

Reimer picks himself. He is the standout backrower this year and will play 7 to ensure Moretti slots in at 8. Luca Moretti will revel playing in this forward pack as he will have more opportunity to play his natural explosive game with Dring and Flaherty doing the tough stuff.

6 for me is wide open. Barkers Cameron at 6ft 3 is having a standout season both at the set piece and around the park where his ball in hand running and defensive work has been first class, but he is up against Waverley's Malloy who like Moretti is playing behind a weaker tight 5. The selectors will probably go with Malloy but it is a close call.

David Tejcek is having a top season at halfback. He has relished the responsibility of captain and it has only added to all round fine game providing leadership as well as great service to his backs. His combination with Reimer off the back of the scrum has still not been beaten by any GPS combination faced thus far. He is my choice to captain this side.

The 10 is an issue. The two top 5/8ths are Barkers Dudley and Triniy’s Edmed. It is an area the GPS are fortunate to have 3 quality fly halves all vying for the top spot.

The selectors may well go with Edmed and be fully justified.

I would choose Dudley as my 10 as his combination this year with Nercessian who is the first choice inside centre has worked brilliantly.

The centre pairing of Nercessian (12) and ilias (13) will be strong. Both are year 12 lads and have clever rugby heads on their shoulders. They are not as swift as the GPS lads of (Easy and Bell) but they will give a good account for CAS.

The wings and fullback slots is where CAS will struggle this year.

Galloway (B) for mine is the best defensive winger in the CAS comp and has plenty of speed. His tussle with Joseph Sua'ali'i (Kings) was great to watch. He will be marking the skylab boy again no doubt and will have his hands full but is more than capable.

Who is to be the other winger? I am perplexed. Waverley’s Hutchinson-Walter or Baldwin possibly or maybe Cranbrook’s North?

Finally, the fullback spot is Jayden Kitchener’s (Barker) to lose. He has been solid all year and his defence against Joeys was outstanding, something the CAS team will need against the GPS backs. Jayden is not the fastest 15 nor does he have the longest kick but he bleeds RED and is a model of consistency.

Now bring on the comments and alternative points of view.

Rod, nice Barker team!

From what I hear most of your choices sound pretty reasonable.

A few more for the mix.

1. Harry Whiteman 4/5, very tough/hard working/reliable and NSW rep back up player last year.
2. Tadgh Murphy 6/7, as above.
3. Reece Thorn 9, as above, very good defender and great pass.
4. Phoenix Baldwin or Jacob Tomasiello (just back from injury) both tremendous wingers.

5. I have separated this young man,Lathan Hutchinson-Waters can play 10 or 12, wait until you see him!

P.S. Didn't say so at the time but the Waves should have beaten View by 20.

Haven't seen Aloys, Trinity, Knox or Cranbrook, so just can't comment.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rod , Think you aren't too far off

the real shame is that .....this is decided before the heavyweights face-off

for what it's worth, this is my team with bolds being certainties, and underlines my picks in spots up for grabs

1. Frear (Knox)
2. Billy Pollard. Barker
3. Lambert. (Trinity)
4. L Dring. (Barker) H Whiteman. (Waverley) Yates (Knox)
5 Harry Flaherty. Barker
6. Molloy (Waverley) Murphy (Waverley) Rahme (Aloys) (hotly contested)
7. Luke Reimer. Barker
8. Luca Moretti.Waverley
9. David Tejcek (Barker) Chambers (Trinity)
10.Lachlan Ilias. (Trinity)
11. T Cameron (Knox)
12. L Hutchinson-Walters (Waverley)
13. Levi Mildford (Waverley)
14. Kyle Galloway. (Barker)
15. D Andrews. (Waverley)

Nercessian ... too old ... only playing due to dispensation is my understanding:)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rod, nice Barker team!

5. I have separated this young man,Lathan Hutchinson-Waters can play 10 or 12, wait until you see him!

Haven't seen Aloys, Trinity, Knox or Cranbrook, so just can't comment.

WLF, who was the 10 who played for Waverly last weekend? He was good and I don't remember him from when Shore played Waverly at Northbridge, perhaps in the mix for a CAS spot?

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have been told from a reliable source that Josh Nercessian is elligible to play CAS.

If that’s true then he is the 12. Has been the standout back in a very successful team.

Last year CAS beat GPS through the understanding and combinations of the Waverley 8,9,10,12 from memory. They were in winning form and operated on instinct. I would say CAS could do just as well to go with that combo of winning Barker players this year in those same positions as they are playing well and beating good teams.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
In reality, players need to be there that can be selected for NSW- that’s the aim of the trials.

Agree. From what I recall those Waverley players all went on to be selected at the next level. Winning form is one of the factors that sways selection so it’s important that CAS wins again in 2018, isn’t it?

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Agree. From what I recall those Waverley players all went on to be selected at the next level. Winning form is one of the factors that sways selection so it’s important that CAS wins again in 2018, isn’t it?

Agree 100%. That’s why we need the best team on the field based with the best players in the comp.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, who was the 10 who played for Waverly last weekend? He was good and I don't remember him from when Shore played Waverly at Northbridge, perhaps in the mix for a CAS spot?

Hi UPG's,

That was Lathan Hutchinson-Walters, didn't play against you/Shore in the 1st game.
As per my comment to Rod S. "wait until you see him".
Can play 10 or 12 and is a kicker of all types of kicks.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If that’s true then he is the 12. Has been the standout back in a very successful team.

Last year CAS beat GPS through the understanding and combinations of the Waverley 8,9,10,12 from memory. They were in winning form and operated on instinct. I would say CAS could do just as well to go with that combo of winning Barker players this year in those same positions as they are playing well and beating good teams.

Not sure if these players are really as good as last's years combination, I do think Lathan Hutchinson-Walters is a must as 10 or 12.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hi UPG's,

That was Lathan Hutchinson-Walters, didn't play against you/Shore in the 1st game.
As per my comment to Rod S. "wait until you see him".
Can play 10 or 12 and is a kicker of all types of kicks.

Thanks WLF, he completes the Waverly team very nicely and will definitely be up there for CAS selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.