• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks for your reply Carl - I’ve posted this same observation on the GPS thead

So it seems 10 from NSW GPS and 6 from CAS out of the ( presumably ) 50 jerseys across U16 NSW 1 and 2 last year

I would imagine there would be a fair number of boys from NSW Country , however , the numbers in representation across the two associations seems low compared to QLD U16’s where 90% plus of jerseys went to GPS and AIC players

And certainly in last year’s U15 JGC there was next to no level of representation from the GPS and CAS schools in the Sydney Rays team that got run over by QLD Red - which had a healthy number of GPS boys but was far from being a “best of” in what QLD had to offer in the age group

However the point being is that greater levels of representation from GPS Schools in junior pathways in QLD - compared to GPS and CAS schools in NSW seems to be the case and I wonder why that is ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Is there any publication from NSW Rugby as to the school / origin of last year’s rep players in U16’s and U15’s ??

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks for your reply Carl - I’ve posted this same observation on the GPS thead

So it seems 10 from NSW GPS and 6 from CAS out of the ( presumably ) 50 jerseys across U16 NSW 1 and 2 last year

I would imagine there would be a fair number of boys from NSW Country , however , the numbers in representation across the two associations seems low compared to QLD U16’s where 90% plus of jerseys went to GPS and AIC players

And certainly in last year’s U15 JGC there was next to no level of representation from the GPS and CAS schools in the Sydney Rays team that got run over by QLD Red - which had a healthy number of GPS boys but was far from being a “best of” in what QLD had to offer in the age group

However the point being is that greater levels of representation from GPS Schools in junior pathways in QLD - compared to GPS and CAS schools in NSW seems to be the case and I wonder why that is ?

At last year's 16s schools trials, the CCC and CHS teams progressed to the finals, which ultimately helped their selection cause. Both were strong teams and benefited from lead-up trial matches involving themselves and ISA. To my best understanding, CCC may have also held a camp prior to the trials. On the other hand, the GPS and CAS teams were selected not long before the trials, had time for 2 one hour training sessions, then into action. But I guess this is the nature of the beast - and least harmful to the prestigious GPS /CAS comps running at the time. So maybe with equal preparation, there would have been substantially more reps from GPS/CAS. From what I was told of the NSW teams at the National Championships in Qld, there was an abundance of league boys in the team, and the skill deficiency showed.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey Carl

Thanks for your reply.

Forgive my ignorance but what does the CCC stand for ? Who are the member schools ?

I assumed CHS covers the State Schools throughout NSW

ISA ? Who are the member schools ?

The U16's was a closer competition last year but the U15 "Final" between QLD Red and the Sydney Rays was straight out embarrassing.

In that QLD Red team you also had a few notable league aligned players in the backline - the 10 is a very gifted , mercurial , play maker in either code although he'll most likely end up in league after School. And the 13 and 15 are quality finishers but against better opposition still have a long way to go re : their Rugby understanding and fundamentals - specifically in terms of positional defense and breakdown Rugby.

Typically , and to be frank , ( and generally speaking as there is always the odd exception to the rule ...and I mean very odd ) league aligned forwards playing Rugby are crap . They can bum slay in junior ages with the early growth but their Rugby fundamentals and understanding aren't developed - because they haven't had to.

This was evident within the Sydney Rays team and even in the QLD Teams

You are correct the Rugby skill deficiency shows and shows even more when the fatigue factor sets in and there is basically no energy or commitment to defense or the ball on the ground game

I guess from what I can tell - the best two code players tend to be outside backs - or you might get lucky with an either code playmaker ........but typically , league forwards don't transition well to Rugby ( and yes Brad Thorn was the exception )

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Garry
CCC stands for Combined Catholic Colleges. They include all Marist , Marcellin, Patrician Bros etc, and many non-aligned Catholics schools. They do have a vast number of schools across the state. Many of the boys from these schools play league as their primary sport. Last year's 16s was a particularly large, talented bunch, but in most years, CAS would dominate them

CHS is the High schools. ISA includes Oakhill, Stannies(Bathurst), Kinross (Orange), St Augustines, St Pats, St Pius, St Gregs, and a few smaller ones.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Morning All

Anyone got :

1. Any intel on who the Top 3 teams figure to be in each age group from U13's to Opens ?

2. Players and their positions from U15's and upwards to watch for over the next 2 to 3 years

3. A breakdown of boys from CAS ( Schools and Positions ) who represented NSW U16 1 and 2 teams last year ( and who may have been selected to Australian U16 Merit Team )

Thanks

GO,

I think its fair to say that in each each age group Knox and Barker will dominate,,
last year Waverley had their year.
Aloys may surprise in a few age groups and Cranbrook will be the dark horse, they have some great coaches now and will be far stronger this year in every age group.
I do think for once that Waverley will pull up the rear in most age groups.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wlf, what about last years waverley 13As and 14As?!

Both teams barely had any points scored against them, and were Undefeated in Cas

So think waverley will continue to be strong in select age groups (a teams)

Also hear that year 11 has a rather large new addition...with tribal tattoos that might frighten some north shore kids

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Wlf, what about last years waverley 13As and 14As?!

Both teams barely had any points scored against them, and were Undefeated in Cas

So think waverley will continue to be strong in select age groups (a teams)

Also hear that year 11 has a rather large new addition.with tribal tattoos that might frighten some north shore kids

SDW,

I was hoping for some other CAS combatants to comment, trust you weren't in the spy game! I might have to change my cover!

I think that the Waves are in an ok place and in every age group but still very early days.

I was hoping my Knox mate, Axel, would bite, maybe now it's game on!

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
SDW,

I was hoping for some other CAS combatants to comment, trust you weren't in the spy game! I might have to change my cover!

I think that the Waves are in an ok place and in every age group but still very early days.

I was hoping my Knox mate, Axel, would bite, maybe now it's game on!

WLF, As if I would bite. Waverley clearly the team to beat in the 14's and 15's this year...no idea about the 13's. I think the 16's will be between Knox and Trinity, and I think the 1st's is between Barker and Wave's. I'm loving that its all about to start again....

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, As if I would bite. Waverley clearly the team to beat in the 14's and 15's this year.no idea about the 13's. I think the 16's will be between Knox and Trinity, and I think the 1st's is between Barker and Wave's. I'm loving that its all about to start again..

Hello mate, I think your 15s will be competitive and I would have thought your 1sts would be strong as always.

The 13s is always an interesting age as it is the great unknown with many boys joining all schools in year 7.

I am sure the older boys from all schools have been training hard for some time.

It will be interesting to see how they go against the GPS schools, do you know which GPS schools Knox are playing?

Not long now !

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hello mate, I think your 15s will be competitive and I would have thought your 1sts would be strong as always.

The 13s is always an interesting age as it is the great unknown with many boys joining all schools in year 7.

I am sure the older boys from all schools have been training hard for some time.

It will be interesting to see how they go against the GPS schools, do you know which GPS schools Knox are playing?

Not long now !

Our pre season games are Shore, Stannies/Kinross, Kings, Riverview then Joeys. Tough games leading into the CAS comp....

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Our pre season games are Shore, Stannies/Kinross, Kings, Riverview then Joeys. Tough games leading into the CAS comp..

Ours are also tough.

Shore, Riverview, St Auggies,Scots,Newington and then Shore again(don't know why!
We would rather play each school once eg swap Shore over for Joeys or Kings.

The Stannies, Kinross, and St Augustines games will be very interesting and tough I would assume.

For me, this is better/much more interesting than playing our CAS schools twice.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
GO,

I think its fair to say that in each each age group Knox and Barker will dominate,,
last year Waverley had their year.
Aloys may surprise in a few age groups and Cranbrook will be the dark horse, they have some great coaches now and will be far stronger this year in every age group.
I do think for once that Waverley will pull up the rear in most age groups.

The Barker juggernaut will clearly dominate all age groups and waste all comers on the park. Hey someone has to be the prize wa..ker this year....

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Oh how I wish this was true! Looking forward to the comp though, our 1st XV should do pretty well, perhaps the August match up will decide the HPS.

WTF,

Yes if both teams play to their potential the August date could be the decider at Death Valley!
We look forward to that.

I still think Knox are in the mix and I really don't know much about Aloys, Cranbrook and Trinity.

Who is Barker playing in the lead up games, eg any GPS schools?

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
WTF,

Yes if both teams play to their potential the August date could be the decider at Death Valley!
We look forward to that.

I still think Knox are in the mix and I really don't know much about Aloys, Cranbrook and Trinity.

Who is Barker playing in the lead up games, eg any GPS schools?

From the AAGPS rugby site, I can see Barker have games against Kings, Shore and Joeys. Should make interesting watching. Provided Luke Reimer stays healthy, they should be very competitive in all.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
From the AAGPS rugby site, I can see Barker have games against Kings, Shore and Joeys. Should make interesting watching. Provided Luke Reimer stays healthy, they should be very competitive in all.

Thanks Carl,

I think that's great news.

Lead up games like the GPS schools you mentioned are, imo, exactly what is needed prior to the CAS comp, for obvious reasons.

I would think Barker will be more than competitive in all these games.

I believe Scots may be again the team to beat in the GPS with something like 10 back from last years winning team, Joeys will also be strong not sure on the others, time will tell.

Waverley will play Scots this year, that local derby should be a beauty at Scots.

UptheGuts33

Frank Row (1)
Cranbrook predicted lineup for 2018:

1. Hayman (16as)
2. Banks (2nds)
3. Andreas (2nds)
4. Tilley (1st)
5. Tasker (16as)
6. O'reilly (1st)
7. Tagg/Bible (Tagg from 16as, Bible is a new to Cranbrook)
8. May (Injured last season, should make a positive impact)
9. Smith (1st)
10. White (1st)
11. Crowley (2nds)
12. Pakutoa (16as)
13. Vicars (1st)
14. North/Taylor (16as)
15. Lamens (16as)

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrook will struggle with depth. They have quite a few strong players but similar to last year i worry that they will be unable to cope with injuries that are inevitable in every season. Hopefully May can make it through the year, he has a lot potential. The 16s really showed some great skill last year and those in year 12 all have some 1sts rugby experience that could come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.