• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook vs Pius, expecting cricket scores here, Pius XV last in ISA 2018, cranbrook to be one of the top placed teams in 2019 CAS, this wont end well.
Pipe down JG, it’s extremely early in the season and teams change in the offseason. We haven’t seen anything of Cranbrook yet, too early to be predicting cricket scores against anyone really.

MagicMike

Stan Wickham (3)
NO KNOX OR CRANBROOK)

Bit Late to the Scene of this post. but, I believe that Barker will still have momentum going forward into 2019 after a beautiful season in 2018, although they have lost the likes of Reimer and Tjeck, they still have the best Hooker in the country, Billy Pollard. But this is also very late, he was suddenly at barker in 2018, was he a sporting scholarship recipient or just coincidence that he joined the College that year and conveniently plays Australian Schoolboy Footy???

Waverly- Waverly has always had a "forward grunt" since the '80s but they still lack the balance between true students and Sporting Scholars. Some of the previous First XV boys may understand the pain of their position being snaked by a Sporting Scholarship, the school needs to realise that a school is a place for learning academically not being a man on the Sporting field. Because in my own opinion, academia matters more in life because a sporting career may fall through the cracks.

Trinity- Basically the same as Waverly, but they have not got the best momentum at the moment from a disappointing attempt at 2018 CAS comp. But they did have some brilliant players like Tane Edmond, whom unfortunate graduated.

Aloys- Aloys have always had an aspect of "underdog in them" due to the forces of a prevalent school comradery in the phrase "always back the boys" this always gives the boys an adrenaline rush when they hear the various chants from the Sideline when playing footy, this happens frequently at their fortress in Willoughby. I personally believe that Aloys will have a decent season maybe pushing for 3rd.

Spelling not a strong suit concernedcranbrookmum? ("Waverly")

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
As round one quickly approaches the horizon, what are the predictions for this weekends match-ups and the predicted/confirmed teams?

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like this weekend has:

Barker Vs Joeys
Waverley @ Sanix
Knox Vs Newington
Trinity Vs St Pats
Cranbrook Vs Pius
Aloys Vs ???

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
From gps website. This Sat matches;

Rugby 1st, 2nd XV & 3rd XV- GPS/CAS/ISA Trials
J v B/OH; I v S; K v STAG/H; SSC/W v E; Kn v N; SAC v G; KWS v A

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Match of the round?

Scots v view? View I think underrated

Agree - Scots V View should be a cracker.

Knox V Newington might be interesting - Newington will be missing Kaeo Weekes (Listed to play in the SG Ball final for Manly this Saturday), so one less backline threat.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Knox V Newington might be interesting - Newington will be missing Kaeo Weekes (Listed to play in the SG Ball final for Manly this Saturday), so one less backline threat.

Team news?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Interesting technical and motivational problem for rugby coaches - managing a team which is building pre season stamina and strength, with at least one squad member who is tapering for a grand final.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Barker team to be missing the front row and both back up hookers, plus the fullback. Gulp.

Mmmm, that doesn't sound very good. Nor does it augur well for a competitive contest. Barker would appear to be incredibly unlucky to be missing the entire front row and also both back up hookers. I hope they have depth in the ranks or it could be a very very long day.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Mmmm, that doesn't sound very good. Nor does it augur well for a competitive contest. Barker would appear to be incredibly unlucky to be missing the entire front row and also both back up hookers. I hope they have depth in the ranks or it could be a very very long day.

It's hard enough going to Hunter's Hill with everyone available, let alone with key players missing.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)

Yes it will take some shine off the contest, particularly as the difference between Barker's first choice players and their back ups in most positions is a country mile. Nevertheless they go into this game 5 from 5 and last years contests in the 1s, 2s and 16As were all great games, so you'd hope it will still be a good game. Time will tell!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Agree P.Parker should be a most interesting game. Knox, I believe will have the advantage of team cohesion and match fitness from its Japan tour. However, Newington displayed great style in their trial against Trinity and have the capacity to attack through their backline. Yes,Weekes will be a significant loss, but Newington from what I saw against Trinity have a pleasing amount of depth. Who knows what this depth may reveal if given the opportunity.

Other games I would find of interest will the Newington A Team games, particularly the 13,14 and 15As who could prove to be excellent opposition for the Knox Teams. A win against these teams by a Knox A team would indicate, that these teams are likely to be strong teams for 2019. Our 16As had a good win against Trinity, but is likely to be a team that will continue to improve.

In the opens, I expect Knox to dominate the middle and lower opens due to Knox's massive depth.

Finally, I have found Knox to be excellent hosts concerning parents, staff and your boys. Hence, I look forward to this Saturday.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes it will take some shine off the contest, particularly as the difference between Barker's first choice players and their back ups in most positions is a country mile. Nevertheless they go into this game 5 from 5 and last years contests in the 1s, 2s and 16As were all great games, so you'd hope it will still be a good game. Time will tell!

Nice insult to the back-ups as you call them. Is this country mile gap a particular trait that only applies to Barker?

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
It is also the Knox Gala day so should be a big day at Wahroonga.
The Knox 13-15As are looking to see how they are tracking against strong Newington teams before more tough GPS trials against Scots and Joeys i believe.
Most interesting will be who new Knox teacher and multi-decade legendary Newington teacher Jock Canning is barracking for on the sidelines!