• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Therefore, I can't see Trinity, who had a low scoring draw with Shore, struggled to get over Oakhill, and pulled out of playing last weekend altogether, having 5 players out of 15 in the CAS #1 team. As an example, if Vuki has good control in attack, why did they not score more points against those 2 very weak teams? Knox put 70 on Oak Hill and 50 plus on Shore, while Barker put 65 on Oak Hill and 75 on Shore - seems like their 10's must have more control in attack than Trinity's?"

Except that's not how it works. I don't think Trinity has a very good team this year. But nor did it have a very good team last year, when Edmed, Lambert, Hawkes and Ilias all played for NSW (deservedly). Trinity's problem isn't the quality of its best players, but its lack of depth.

Ah, Tim Stoyles. I can recall him going around in the centres for Sydney University in First Grade. Might have done better had he ever taken it seriously!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Great to have you back. A CAS Prep boy, thought you had some good in you, returning home from the Dark side!

I left Knox Prep to attend Joeys. I wanted to get away from the beating I endured at the hands of the fellow Knox boys (and staf....Paterson you snake) who didn't like Catholics. I finally asked my parents to send me to a school where I could "beat up some Protestants for a change". 40+ years later I am now friends again with old Knox lads who have mellowed in their bigotry.

Nice to be back. Thank you

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting re Knox beating on the catholic

Don’t think the protestants still use the barb... “choppers”

Oh well gone is anything not pc

Probably a good thing ... altgh also gone is banter

If I think back to the old days the sledging , banter...the nicknames

there were some funny line out calls, pet plays

Assume some of that still good fun exists somewhere in the rugby ... colts?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I left Knox Prep to attend Joeys. I wanted to get away from the beating I endured at the hands of the fellow Knox boys (and staf..Paterson you snake) who didn't like Catholics. I finally asked my parents to send me to a school where I could "beat up some Protestants for a change". 40+ years later I am now friends again with old Knox lads who have mellowed in their bigotry.

Nice to be back. Thank you

As a fellow chopper, (not in practice) welcome back.
My recent experience is that this site is to hear some insightful comments (occasionally) find out all the scores post games, afterwards hypothesize more BS, and post some "funny shi." of which you are the master in many of these areas.

I suspect you lived over that thing called the Sydney H. Bridge, that was unfortunate, otherwise you would have fitted in well at Waves.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wish to apologise to anyone who was offended by any post I made 19 days ago.
Best wishes to all CAS teams this season. Go Know (I was an Old Knox Prep boy in the early 70's)
Welcome back Joker...I was at Knox prep in 1975......in year 6. Do we know each other?

S

sidelineview

Apart from all the schoolboy drivel, there will be nearly 40 players selected for the CAS 1s and 2s squads, so as usual there are ample opportunities for players to impress.

If the format is the same as previous years they'll have 2 games against GPS and ISA to impress selectors for higher honours. That's besides the games they've already played and will play before the selectors finalise their squads.

It's not so common but not unusual either for players from CAS2s to force their way into the 1s team or to be selected for a State team from the 2s.

Also, any U16s players who play for their 1st XV teams or get a run in the top team increase their chances of being selected for the CAS and State teams.

Good luck to all the players.
The CAS Opens coach, Scott Coleman will be shooting for 3 out of 3 against GPS.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I wish to apologise to anyone who was offended by any post I made 19 days ago.
Best wishes to all CAS teams this season. Go Know (I was an Old Knox Prep boy in the early 70's)

And Lo - so it was - with the second coming of the Joker boredom was forever banished from the thread.
Meanwhile the Overlords of the thread greeted the said coming with fear and trembling. What would the Joker do next. Would the forces of the politically correct with their social justice warriors muster forces again...?

Welcome back Joker!!

Schooey Schooey MoiMoi

Bob McCowan (2)
Thoughts on the CAS games next weekend? I believe its:
Knox v Waverley
Cranbrook v Barker
Aloys v Trinity
Seems as though it might be a very interesting first round with what should be some close games...

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Early Tips

Waves vs Knox
Knox are a strong side with a great preseason behind them, but have a tendency to get complacent. Waverley are a strong side who have played some really tough footy over the last few weeks. I think this will have raised their standards and their physicality and energy will overcome the structure and rigidity of Knox's style of play, especially at DV. Waverley by 12, but could be 20+ if Knox lose their cool.

Matchups:
10 - Fitzgerald vs Volkman. Two very different styles of play, the former kicking and controlling, the latter flair and skill.
7. Breden vs Moretti. Breden a class player, leading the side, Moretti returning from injury potentially with a point to prove.

Brook vs Barker
Bit of talk about this strong Cranbrook lineup, but I'm dubious. Barker have flown under the radar in preseason out of the CAS teams and I believe they have a strong outfit, Pollard will dominate the Cranbrook forward pack single-handedly and Ovenden will control a well-drilled backline. Can see a Barker win by 15+, but Cranbrook are a bit unknown.

Matchups:
15. Vass vs Lamens. Arguably the best fullbacks in the comp, Vass with speed and vision, Lamens with footwork and solid defence.
11/14. Galloway vs North. Can see these two being the CAS wingers for this year, both with size and speed, a great matchup.

Aloys vs Trinity
Two teams tipped to be bottom of the ladder that I believe will be a great duel this weekend. Plagued by injuries, who knows what sort of strength side they will roll out. After two weeks FF (Folau Fainga'a), a few of these boys will be back, rested and I think they'll account for Aloys, especially at home. Aloys lack any stars to change the game I believe. Trinity by 10.

Matchups:
13. Loughnan vs Hennessey - Loughnan's brutality and size, against the aggression and speed of Hennessey will open the game out wide.
3. Hawkes vs (unsure of Aloys prop name) - Hawkes always a standout for Trinity, but reports are that Aloys have a big strong prop ready to fire.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I had expected Cranbrook to do well this year, but that last result against Aloysius makes me wonder. I still think it’s between Knox and Waverley. But Barker, I think, are underrated and Trinity, for that one game when they get their best side on the field, can upset anyone. It’s shaping up as the most even and interesting competition in a while.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Strange I see one of cranners home games is a Friday night fixture
Against Knox at easts

That leaves them only one home game at hordern

One of the most beautiful ovals yet only one more game on it

I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else

And synthetic grass def greener

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Strange I see one of cranners home games is a Friday night fixture
Against Knox at easts

That leaves them only one home game at hordern

One of the most beautiful ovals yet only one more game on it

I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else

And synthetic grass def greener

I believe the massive reno has started, or about to, which will see Hordern dug up, and then replaced later.
So I don't think Cranbrook will have any games on Hordern, they will all be at Easts for the next 2 years.

Someone from Brook should be able to add more.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I believe the massive reno has started, or about to, which will see Hordern dug up, and then replaced later.
So I don't think Cranbrook will have any games on Hordern, they will all be at Easts for the next 2 years.

Someone from Brook should be able to add more.

Reno hasn't commenced and there is no start date as yet. Sport is still being played on Hordern.