• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone know what level of representation there is from AAGPS Schools in NSW 1 and 2 ( U16 in the current National Championship )

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone know which of these boys competing in U16 National Champs are at CAS
55997163682__E1119E10-906E-4A43-ABE5-FF43EAC8378B.jpeg
55997164698__C84E59D9-9495-449D-9B88-C53983620B5D.jpeg
Schools

Big meat

Frank Row (1)
For barker what do we think of Lachlan Hetherington at inside center, he played 16a tighthead prop but played five-eighth in younger years and has experience at 12 ?

frontrowisgreat

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know which of these boys competing in U16 National Champs are at CASView attachment 10299View attachment 10300 Schools

Hey Garry,

The following players are in the CAS system:

NSW 1

3. Malachi Hawkes (T)
6. Michael Eid (T)
8. Miller Tauiliili-Pelesasa (T)
9. Luca Antico (A)
10. Ronald Volkman (W)
18. Aisea Aholelei (W)
21. Tom Sidgraeves (A)
24. Oliver Longhi (K)

NSW 2

2. Tyrone Albertyn (B)
5. Miles Amatosero (W)
12. Spencer Spalding (A)
13. Jordan Swann (DNC - Ruled out with Injury) (W)
17. Adrian Brown (B)
21. Ky Willoughby (T)
22. Braydon Guyan (C)
24. Mitchell Wheals (B)

The following players are in the AAGPS system:

NSW 1

1. Angus Fahey (K)
4. Byron Sutherland (J)
12. Villiam Penisini (K)
15. Ben Downling (J)
17. Angus Websdale (J)
19. Joey Vitanza (K)
20. Dally Bird (R)

NSW 2

3. Zeb Maddinson (J)
4. Sam Greer (J)
7. Hugh Bell (N)
9. Max Dominello (J)
15. Hamish Cressey (J)
19. Ben Kearney (J)
20. Dylan Hansen (S)

James Clark

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure how anyone can overlook Cranbrook as easy favourites next year. Yes they were smashed by Barker in their first game with a lack of maturity and experience. But they went 3 tries a piece with waverly, beat Aloys home and away, beat knox at knox for Cranbrook's first time in 20 years. This is a team that for the vast majority of the year played with 12 out of 15 players in year 11. With this experience a maturity, depending on their off season I think Cranbrook should go underfeated next year.

Predicted XV - 2019
1. Hugo Hayman (1XV / CAS 2XV)
2. Leo Christopher (1XV)
3. Jack McCafferey(1XV) or 16A's CAS prop supposedly is good
4. Perry Tasker (1XV)
5. Jack Ryan (16A's)
6. Patrick Tagg (1XV / 16's CAS)
7. Oliver Carroll (1XV / CAS 2XV)
8. Alex O'Reilly (1XV)
9. Tas Smith (1XV / CAS 2XV)
10. Will Clunies-Ross (16A's)
11. Peter North (1XV / CAS 2XV)
12. Bray Guyan (16A's / 16's CAS and Gen Blue)
13. Alii Pakutoa (1XV)
14. Jacob Taylor (1XV)
15. Peter Masseloss (16 A's)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks Front Row is Great

T is Trinity I assume ?

Really liked all 3 of those Trinity Boys and thought Luca Antico has a lot of promise

Best ball speed with accuracy I have seen from a 9 at the age group - I like him a lot . Quick thinker / decision maker as well.

Gary Rodgers

Frank Row (1)

T is Trinity I assume ?

Really liked all 3 of those Trinity Boys and thought Luca Antico has a lot of promise

Best ball speed with accuracy I have seen from a 9 at the age group - I like him a lot . Quick thinker / decision maker as well.

Agreed Owens, thought Tauiliili-Pelesasa (T) and Hawkes (T) are definitely players to watch in the future, tough, strong ball carriers, and dominating defensively. Both had solid seasons last year, rewarded with CAS representation, they will both be standouts in what I believe wont be a strong Trinity side next year.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)

T is Trinity I assume ?

Well the school he's from are in a tough situation as both halfbacks (Sidgreaves and Antico) in that Gen Blue U16s 1 team go to Aloys. Antico has been playing 10 all through school and had a few runs there in the 1st XV this year but I wouldn't be surprised if they do make the smart decision and play Antico at 9. He's a real talent there.

Gary Rodgers

Frank Row (1)
Well the school he's from are in a tough situation as both halfbacks (Sidgreaves and Antico) in that Gen Blue U16s 1 team go to Aloys. Antico has been playing 10 all through school and had a few runs there in the 1st XV this year but I wouldn't be surprised if they do make the smart decision and play Antico at 9. He's a real talent there.

Sidgreaves, Antico and S Spalding could arguably be the strongest inside backs in the competition next year. The experience of Spalding and Antico in last years first XV (Spalding in particular), along with all three playing NSW Gen Blue, it would be something to watch.
Name a better 9,10,12?
Aloys are a genuine title threat if all three have stellar seasons.

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sidgreaves, Antico and S Spalding could arguably be the strongest inside backs in the competition next year. The experience of Spalding and Antico in last years first XV (Spalding in particular), along with all three playing NSW Gen Blue, it would be something to watch.
Name a better 9,10,12?
willoughby ,vuki,Ieremia

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Name a better 9,10,12?

There are some quality backs in the comp and even Aloys can get those three to shine they would need a dominant forward pack which at this rate just isn't going to happen with all the players looking fairly small from last year. They could have one of the best attacking backlines in the comp next year however and a dynamic back row but my pick for a team would be:

1:Leodaritsis (16s)
2:Robertson (16s)
3:Mcneil (1st)
4:Allen (1sts)
5: Partington (1sts)
6:Marning (2nds)
7: Perego (1sts)
8:Shield-Dick (16s)
9:Antico (16s)
10:Griffin (2nds)
11:Jones (16s)
12:Spalding (1sts)
13:Weber (2nds)
14:Simos (16s Injured all last year but could match Galloway as fastest winger in CAS)
15: Yates (2nds)

Gary Rodgers

Frank Row (1)
There are some quality backs in the comp and even Aloys can get those three to shine they would need a dominant forward pack which at this rate just isn't going to happen with all the players looking fairly small from last year. They could have one of the best attacking backlines in the comp next year however and a dynamic back row but my pick for a team would be:

1:Leodaritsis (16s)
2:Robertson (16s)
3:Mcneil (1st)
4:Allen (1sts)
5: Partington (1sts)
6:Marning (2nds)
7: Perego (1sts)
8:Shield-Dick (16s)
9:Antico (16s)
10:Griffin (2nds)
11:Jones (16s)
12:Spalding (1sts)
13:Weber (2nds)
14:Simos (16s Injured all last year but could match Galloway as fastest winger in CAS)
15: Yates (2nds)

Agreed, a weak forward pack means no matter how good an attacking backline you have its only as good as the platformed laid by the boys up front. Similar to last season, in which Aloys had arguably the best backline, but little go forward against stronger teams like Barker completely negated the weapons from 9-15.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agreed, a weak forward pack means no matter how good an attacking backline you have its only as good as the platformed laid by the boys up front. Similar to last season, in which Aloys had arguably the best backline, but little go forward against stronger teams like Barker completely negated the weapons from 9-15.

Pretty much right, without the ball. you can have JC in the back line, but it won't matter.
Clearly Aloys and Cranbrook think they are a good chance next year, and hope so.

The Waves back line will be ok too with a few reasonable players, Lathan Huutchinson-Walters, Ronald Volkman, Levi Milford and Jordan Swan etc.
Suspect the forwards will be ok too.

Way too early to call IMO...

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Pretty much right, without the ball. you can have JC in the back line, but it won't matter.
Clearly Aloys and Cranbrook think they are a good chance next year, and hope so.

The Waves back line will be ok too with a few reasonable players, Lathan Huutchinson-Walters, Ronald Volkman, Levi Milford and Jordan Swan etc.
Suspect the forwards will be ok too.

Way too early to call IMO.

I believe the Joeys 10 Jude Gibbs who excelled in GPS and for CS at the Schoolboy champs was at Cranbrook up until last year. If they had kept him I would be betting all my money on Cranbrook to win next year. In saying that I can't really think of a standout 10 for CAS this year other than Volkman. I think CAS might have it a whole lot tougher in the GPS game next year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I believe the Joeys 10 Jude Gibbs who excelled in GPS and for CS at the Schoolboy champs was at Cranbrook up until last year. If they had kept him I would be betting all my money on Cranbrook to win next year. In saying that I can't really think of a standout 10 for CAS this year other than Volkman. I think CAS might have it a whole lot tougher in the GPS game next year.

Agree Scotsman, J.Gibbs was tremendous last year, a very good player.

I think there will be some very good backs spread across the CAS teams, likewise the GPS, how well the CAS goes against the GPS combined teams will depend on the pack. It may be ok, but don't think it will have the mongrel of this years team.

It's good that Cranbrook and Aloys will be real contenders, makes it much more interesting and hopefully flows down the ages when the young boys choose their winter sport. Would love to see soccer and afl decline. But the mummy power is almost impenetrable.

Gary Rodgers

Frank Row (1)
Any early season predictions for the CAS team?
My preseason thoughts of the lock ins would be Pollard and Willson (B), Hawkes, Pelesasa (T), Hutchinson-Walters, Volkman (W), any others I have potentially left out who should definitely be in the side.

My surprise selections would be Wheals, Galloway (B), Swann, Aholelei (W), Vuki, Eid (T), Spalding, Antico, Simos (A), Massellos, Pakutoa, Guyan (C), Longhi, Constable (K).

Any surprise selections who should be considered lock ins?
Can someone name a predicted 1-15?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Garry,

The following players are in the CAS system:

NSW 1

3. Malachi Hawkes (T)
6. Michael Eid (T)
8. Miller Tauiliili-Pelesasa (T)
9. Luca Antico (A)
10. Ronald Volkman (W)
18. Aisea Aholelei (W)
21. Tom Sidgraeves (A)
24. Oliver Longhi (K)

NSW 2

2. Tyrone Albertyn (B)
5. Miles Amatosero (W)
12. Spencer Spalding (A)
13. Jordan Swann (DNC - Ruled out with Injury) (W)
17. Adrian Brown (B)
21. Ky Willoughby (T)
22. Braydon Guyan (C)
24. Mitchell Wheals (B)

The following players are in the AAGPS system:

NSW 1

1. Angus Fahey (K)
4. Byron Sutherland (J)
12. Villiam Penisini (K)
15. Ben Downling (J)
17. Angus Websdale (J)
19. Joey Vitanza (K)
20. Dally Bird (R)

NSW 2

3. Zeb Maddinson (J)
4. Sam Greer (J)
7. Hugh Bell (N)
9. Max Dominello (J)
15. Hamish Cressey (J)
19. Ben Kearney (J)
20. Dylan Hansen (S)

You can add to the CAS list in Gen Blue 1 no.5 Fritz JT who is only in year 9 this year,so was chosen in 1 age group up, and has moved with his family from Orange to Sydney and Waverley College this term 4 of their own choice. Haven't seen him play but..... wow!

Gary Rodgers

Frank Row (1)
Not sure if BS, but Barker recruitment for 2019 is very strong. Looking to improve a backline that may have been filled by forwards. Heard rumours around Antico leaving Aloysius at the end of 2018, not sure his destination, maybe Barker poached him? Would definitely ruffle some feathers.

Googman

Frank Row (1)
I know it is very early, but my prediction for a potential CAS team;

1. Hayman (c) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
2. Pollard (B) - ASB's 2018
3. Wilson (B) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
4. Cameron (B) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
5. Rice (W)
6. O'Reilly (C) - injured for most of 2018
7. Cheal (K) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
8. Iemaria (T)
9. Smith (C) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
10. Volkman (W) - Gen Blue U16's
11. North (C) - CAS 2nd XV 2018
12. Hutchinson-Walters (W) - Combined States 2018 (May have gone further if not for injury)
13. ? Maybe Milford (W) or potentially Taylor (C) Or even Spalding (A)
14. Galloway (B) CAS 1st XV 2018
15. Vuki (T) CAS 2nd XV 2018

Im sure I have missed several players who should be in the team but please feel free to give thoughts.
I would include Pollack from Aloys but have heard he just graduated. I always thought he had another year?
Unsure about the 13 but it seems the CAS never really have a shortage of outside backs. Hard to imagine the CAS team doing much damage on the GPS but you never do know in those games.

Please give thoughts and changes as once again am sure I missed a couple big names. :)

The 13 could be Sam Rechner from Knox, he was injured a lot last season but if fit he will be one of the best centres in the CAS comp. Expecting big things from him this year.